• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We're on track to win the Rose Bowl next year

Your missing the point completely.

His point had nothing to do with how good or bad Wisconsin was for a half century before Alvarez got there nor was it about how good or bad Nebraska wad for the half a century before Frost became head coach.

His point was that Wisconsin and Alvarez had a break through in year four and that Frost is in year four.

You're missing the point completely -- wow, tremendous miss.

Alvarez had a breakthrough in year two.

That 5-6 record was the best record in six years -- and Wisconsin won more than 5 games in only 5 of the previous 27 seasons before Barry arrived. And that 5-6 record was still better than any of Frost's Nebraska W-L records.

Alvarez only needed two years to turn it around to levels Wisconsin had rarely seen in decades.

For that matter, Alvarez inherited a school with zero winning tradition, subpar facilities, and very low fan interest -- not even close to what Frost inherited. In the season prior to Barry, Wisconsin was averaging about 35,000 fans in attendance -- with a capacity of 76,000. And 29,776 fans for their last home game prior to Alvarez.

How do we know Frost can't do something similar? He beat Barry and Kirk in the first season records, respectively
Impossible. Rose bowl .... :Rolf:

First goal in 2021, eligible post-season bowl. Any bowl. Even Toilet Bowl sponsored by Scrubbing Bubbles.
scrubbingbubbles_logo_hr.jpg

Huskers vs Beavers ??

You're missing the point completely -- wow, tremendous miss.

Alvarez had a breakthrough in year two.

That 5-6 record was the best record in six years -- and Wisconsin won more than 5 games in only 5 of the previous 27 seasons before Barry arrived. And that 5-6 record was still better than any of Frost's Nebraska W-L records.

Alvarez only needed two years to turn it around to levels Wisconsin had rarely seen in decades.

For that matter, Alvarez inherited a school with zero winning tradition, subpar facilities, and very low fan interest -- not even close to what Frost inherited. In the season prior to Barry, Wisconsin was averaging about 35,000 fans in attendance -- with a capacity of 76,000. And 29,776 fans for their last home game prior to Alvarez.
Wait a minute....it seems like the OP started this thread with a positive vibe and a little optimism about the 2021 season. Now...... I don't claim to be the brightest bulb in the box, but it sure seems like you're spnning this into another "Scott Frost sucks" conversation. Fool me twice........;)

Last edited:
Wait a minute....it seems like the OP started this thread with a positive vibe and a little optimism about the 2021 season. Now...... I don't claim to be the brightest bulb in the box, but it sure seems like you're spnning this into another "Scott Frost sucks" conversation. Fool me twice........;)

I don't think @HuskerWeatherman is totally off, but not sure I agree with his assessment that Barry took over an easier job than Frost.

To recap:

There's been a theory passed around this board that if Scott hasn't turned it around by the end of season three, then there's no reason to think it's ever going to work out with him.

Ferentz "broke through" in season three.

Alvarez "broke through" in season four.

I think it's a fair assumption that the chances of coaching success are inversely proportional to time, but the examples of Ferentz and Alvarez are proof points that there is good reason to be patient with Frost. Probably not 7 years patient, but certainly 4-5 years patient.

Really? You still feel that way after the last twenty years? As @lincoln84 just said, Kirk and Bo are pretty comparable, but I’d give the edge to Kirk.
Yes...we were pretty bad the 20 years before Devaney too.

Neither BP/KF was/is good enough for Nebraska...we should not settle. SF still has a shot at being better, he must pick up the pace fast though.

Last edited:

Difference being, Alvarez inherited a football program that had zero winning tradition. Five total winning seasons in the prior 27 years -- and none of those were with more than 7 wins. In the 50 years prior to Barry, Wisconsin's winning percentage ranked 90th out of 112 teams.

Alvarez's 5-6 season in year two was actually better than the majority of seasons in the half-century prior.
Our winning tradition is so far in the rearview mirror it hardly registers with most.

Frost's 2021 squad will have the most talent and the most depth of any team that Nebraska has fielded since we joined the Big 10 in 2011. 4th year starting QB, solid offensive line, lots of very talented skill players on offense, 10 returning starters on a defense that played very well toward the end of last season, and we return both our kicker and our punter. At least on paper, this team could absolutely finish first in the West and second in the Big 10 in 2021 and make it to a great bowl game.

But recent history suggests that we will find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot and the head...repeatedly...
I appreciate the optimism, but I'm at a loss as to who the very talented skill players might be on offense. The best one left the program after last season, as did the best running back and second string QB. There are zero proven wide receivers. We pinned our hopes at WR on Manning and we all know how that is working out. I suppose tight end might be our best skill position.

Even on paper the offense doesn't look all that great. It might be we will have to make a living in 2021 playing great defense.

I appreciate the optimism, but I'm at a loss as to who the very talented skill players might be on offense. The best one left the program after last season, as did the best running back and second string QB. There are zero proven wide receivers. We pinned our hopes at WR on Manning and we all know how that is working out. I suppose tight end might be our best skill position.

Even on paper the offense doesn't look all that great. It might be we will have to make a living in 2021 playing great defense.
On paper, high 4 star TE, high four star left tackle, solid four star rb, solid four star right tackle, solid four star center, from a lower level , a wr behind only the heisman winner in total yards albeit a shortened season, a mid level four star wr, mid level four star qb, a four star slot.

So, yes, more talent than weve seen in quite awhile on paper

Last edited:

Betts, Manning, and Toure at WR. Betts and Manning are obviously incredibly talented. Toure is better than the guys we had playing at the position last season. Steppe is an upgrade at RB over Mills, plus we have a bunch of talented freshman at the position. Fidone at TE, plus we have two veterans returning at that spot. I don't think there's any question that we have a lot of talented skill position players on offense. Whether they amount to anything is debatable, however.

On paper, high 4 star TE, high four star left tackle, solid four star rb, solid four star right tackle, solid four star center, from a lower level , a wr behind only the heisman winner in total yards albeit a shortened season, a mid level four star wr, mid level four star qb, a four star slot.

So, yes, more talent than weve seen in quite awhile on paper
If only there was a trophy for being great on paper.

Unless you can coach them up and keep them in the program those stars don't mean squat. And this staff has proven anemic at doing either of those things.

And I was talking about skill players not linemen.

If only there was a trophy for being great on paper.

Unless you can coach them up and keep them in the program those stars don't mean squat. And this staff has proven anemic at doing either of those things.

And I was talking about skill players not linemen.
No ones going against that.
But, this is,on paper, the most talent weve had in a long long while

OK, add another 4 star wr, another four star wr, another four star rb.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back