• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We're on track to win the Rose Bowl next year

The_CornTorch

Scout Team
5 Year Member
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I just noticed this recently.

Barry Alvarez's first three seasons at Wisconsin:
1990: 1-10 (0-8 conf.)
1991: 5-6 (2-6 conf.)
1992: 5-6 (3-5 conf.)
1993: 10-1-1 (6-1-1) Rose Bowl Win

Per the tweet, Ferentz had two clunker seasons before he turned it around in season three. It took Barry four.

How do we know Frost can't do something similar? He beat Barry and Kirk in the first season records, respectively.

What if it took five for Frost? Would we care?

I don't know about you, but I'd be content with a 2020's style Ferentz program right about now (minus all the off-field stuff).

Last edited:

And yes, the tweet is incorrect on Frost's 3 season record: 12-20.

You want perfection? Or is the gist of the argument enough?

1613838071959.png

Per the tweet, Ferentz had two clunker seasons before he turned it around in season three. It took Barry four.

How do we know Frost can't do something similar? He beat Barry and Kirk in the first season records, respectively.

I don't know about you, but I'd be content with a 2020's style Ferentz program right about now (minus all the off-field stuff).

Difference being, Alvarez inherited a football program that had zero winning tradition. Five total winning seasons in the prior 27 years -- and none of those were with more than 7 wins. In the 50 years prior to Barry, Wisconsin's winning percentage ranked 90th out of 112 teams.

Alvarez's 5-6 season in year two was actually better than the majority of seasons in the half-century prior.

Ferentz is being placed as high as Fry in the iowans fondness of coaching

What would be interesting is to see how these teams improved year over year until they started to win.
Not sure they match the Huskers, but they might have.

Difference being, Alvarez inherited a football program that had zero winning tradition. Five total winning seasons in the prior 27 years -- and none of those were with more than 7 wins. In the 50 years prior to Barry, Wisconsin's winning percentage ranked 90th out of 112 teams.

Alvarez's 5-6 season in year two was actually better than the majority of seasons in the half-century prior.
Frost‘s predecessors didn’t exactly light the world on fire - Riley, BP, Callahan.

Yes there were winning seasons particularly BP era but no championships, no BCS games ...

You and I may harken back to the TO and FS eras but we are at least one if not more than one generation away from true real Husker football.

Last edited:

Frost's 2021 squad will have the most talent and the most depth of any team that Nebraska has fielded since we joined the Big 10 in 2011. 4th year starting QB, solid offensive line, lots of very talented skill players on offense, 10 returning starters on a defense that played very well toward the end of last season, and we return both our kicker and our punter. At least on paper, this team could absolutely finish first in the West and second in the Big 10 in 2021 and make it to a great bowl game.

But recent history suggests that we will find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot and the head...repeatedly...

It's been a long drought and we're due for something good to happen. Going to (and actually winning) the Rose Bowl is probably a bit of a stretch though. A winning season and ANY bowl win would be a good start. But hey, who knows? February is a time to dream big in college football!

If this years team can reduce the penalties by 50% or more and break even or be on the plus side in turnovers they’ll have a great chance of a good record and a great bowl invite. The defense is experienced and should keep them in games but the offense is still young and inexperienced at every position except TE and QB . Hopefully some young stud emerges in the backfield with a 1000 pulse rushing season.

We need a 500 season and a bowl game this season.Very tough schedule,but time to show for HCSF and staff.Jmo. Keep the faith.GBR.

Your missing the point completely.

His point had nothing to do with how good or bad Wisconsin was for a half century before Alvarez got there nor was it about how good or bad Nebraska wad for the half a century before Frost became head coach.

His point was that Wisconsin and Alvarez had a break through in year four and that Frost is in year four.

So SF might be the next Kirk Ferentz? He's good...but that's not good enough for Nebraska, SF will need to do better.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back