• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We just offered a '19 OLB - its Larry Asante's little brother

Aren't you essentially describing Breon Dixon?

We need edge setters, guys that can get their hands up in passing lanes, and get to the QB. Seems to me he is more suited for MLB. Just my 2 cents.

I talk about Dixon is post 49.

You need a few different types of hats at OLB in this defense.

Seems smaller than what they're looking for at ILB (if you look at what they've recruited this year and offered for the next).

Seems smaller than what they're looking for at ILB (if you look at what they've recruited this year and offered for the next).
Yeah...I just dont know if we want to stock the cupboards with multiple undersized OLB's. It will be interesting to see what happens if he comes aboard...and how that may affect other player positions .

Last edited:
Yeah...I just dont know if we want to stock the cupboards with multiple undersized OLB's. It will be interesting to see what happens if he comes aboard...and how that may affect other player positions .

That's a good point that it's unknown how they're going to recruit the position or if they just transition bigger safeties down.

Like *** said, it's all a moot point because he's not coming, but I appreciate the discussion anyhow.

That's a good point that it's unknown how they're going to recruit the position or if they just transition bigger safeties down.

Like *** said, it's all a moot point because he's not coming, but I appreciate the discussion anyhow.
:thumbsup::nod:

We don’t want any OLBs that are Asantes height. I can tell you that if Asante was the height of Parker or Jordan, with his Husker connection, we wouldn’t have slow played him until seeing what the other two were doing. Kind of bit us in the end.

Jovan Dewitt in a Hail Varsity article...

“There really two different profiles. Outside linebacker is a little weird,” Dewitt said. “There is the guy that has always had their hand in the dirt, that’s been a WDE on whatever recruiting website you are looking at. He’s been really good at pass rush. So, does he have the quick twitch ability in space? Or you look at a guy who has been at a safety spot. 6-2, 6-3 and 200 pounds. Maybe he’s not really a Big Ten safety. Maybe he’s really a guy that could roll down and be the strong safety which is really what outside backers are now.

“Now, he’s above average in terms of skill set and twitch, space movement. You are either looking at a 5 technique, long kid. Length is a big thing we look for. When talking characteristics, we are looking a play radius. So, play radius is either your natural length or speed. The ability to change direction and we want them to be violent. Those are the baselines that we have that are non-negotiables. You have to have play radius, speed and violence.”

Link

I got really mad when Diaco blew up our recruiting board due to length/size. I just think coaches are playing the averages. There’s always exceptions, do you recruit on the exception tho?

I'm glad I don't have to recruit a competitive football team and have to answer that question. IMO if you need an OLB and he's a good player he may be worth giving a shot. We've had several players in the last few years that looked the part and were terrible.

Last edited:

I think we can be competitive with who we have. You don't always have the prototypical player at every position. A shorter guy that can hold his own can be effective. I think about Farley and Demorrio Williams as guys who weren't very tall but were very effective

Asante was a project guy anyway, wasnt going to help this year, and IMO NU already has better prospects at the position. Rather save the space for transfers.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back