• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We just offered a '19 OLB - its Larry Asante's little brother

I'm going to hypothetically say we get him for the sake of my response here. I know there's varying reports on if he will even show up...

This one I will be watching along with Banks. Asante is absolutely not what we look for when it comes to an OLB, as we look for more of the Luke Gifford, Alex Davis, or more recently committed Jahmin Graham who is 6'6". Will his four star talent be able to overcome the height barrier for him? Further, we need immediate help at ILB, do we shift him there? A guy like Jackson Hannah reminds me of a better Luke Gifford coming out of high school and has played all over the field defensively. Would we move Hannah or Snodgrass to OLB and have Asante play inside? It will be really interesting to watch, and we could certainly design packages for Asante to play OLB, so i'm not trying to act like he can't play OLB for Chinander. He would just be bucking the trend for what we go after.

Banks and Asante if he commits will be fun to watch develop.

His current size and speed is a much better fit at the SAM (UCF Griffin) than what the staff seems to go for at ILB. What type of offenses he's able to play against would depend on adding a bit more size, ability to set an edge, and disrupt plays/shed blocks. There's certainly different types of OLBs that are needed in Chinander's D and Asante seems to match that SAM OLB that could be used as a pass rusher, but drop into space and cover as well. That type of OLB is needed in this defense and, if his coverage skills are good, that's where I would see him more likely to stick. He's simply not big enough to play ILB at this point in the B10 and doesn't seem to fit the mold of what they're after at that spot. They're recruiting guys that are 6'2-6'4 and have frames that could hold 240-250 pounds. I've never seen him in person, but, to me on tape, his frame doesn't look built to be an inside thumper.

Last edited:
His current size and speed is a much better fit at the SAM (UCF Griffin) than what the staff seems to go for at ILB. What type of offenses he's able to play against would depend on adding a bit more size, ability to set an edge, and disrupt plays/shed blocks. There's certainly different types of OLBs that are needed in Chinander's D and Asante seems to match that SAM OLB that could be used as a pass rusher, but drop into space and cover as well. That type of OLB is needed in this defense and, if his coverage skills are good, that's where I would see him more likely to stick. He's simply not big enough to play ILB at this point in the B10 and doesn't seem to fit the mold of what they're after at that spot. They're recruiting guys that are 6'2-6'4 and have frames that could hold 240-250 pounds. I've never seen him in person, but, to me on tape, his frame doesn't look built to be an inside thumper.
He’s basically the exact size of our ILBs starting this year coming out of high school. We are typically recruiting shorter ILBs compared to OLBs. Even tho I love Asante and Griffin off the edge, they are usually the exception at OLB to be playing at 6’0”.

Last edited:
He’s basically the exact size of our ILBs starting this year coming out of high school. We are typically recruiting shorter ILBs compared to OLBs. Even tho I love Asante and Griffin off the edge, they are usually the exception at OLB to be playing at 6’0”.

But our starting ILBs this past year were not recruited by this staff. If you look at what they've brought in this year w/ Henrich, Hannah, and Snodgrass, they're all 6'3 or taller with frames that can hold 240-250 lbs. Same goes for 2020 - check out the offers they have out to ILB and you're not seeing prospects like Asante or what Barry/Young were coming in. Recruiting that bigger type of ILB makes a ton of sense for the 3-4 and what your ILBs are expected to do.

As far as the OLB discussion goes, there's going to be OLBs with different skill sets. It's why a guy like JoJo Domann can move down to OLB despite not being 6'4 to 6'6. That smaller, playmaking OLB definitely has a place in the 3-4 playing as a SAM especially when you're playing a spread team. Putting a 6'6 OLB to cover the slot in space (even in a zone) is not what any defensive coordinator wants to see and that's why you see a SAM OLB w/ much different traits than you'll see out of a bigger, pure pass rushing OLB. Griffin is the exception because he showed the ability to hold the edge and play effectively against more power running teams, but that type of player isn't necessarily the exception against a spread team, where you're much more likely to see that Hyrbid-style OLB play and play much more effectively than one who is 6'4 or 6'6. It's the same reason that they brought Breon Dixon into the fold. You know that the pitch to him was he would play the "Griffin" in their Defense. Chinander wants a player of that mold at his disposal (against the spread, for sure) and, if he can find one that's truly dynamic like Griffin was, he'll play against whatever type of offense they're facing.

But our starting ILBs this past year were not recruited by this staff. If you look at what they've brought in this year w/ Henrich, Hannah, and Snodgrass, they're all 6'3 or taller with frames that can hold 240-250 lbs. Same goes for 2020 - check out the offers they have out to ILB and you're not seeing prospects like Asante or what Barry/Young were coming in. Recruiting that bigger type of ILB makes a ton of sense for the 3-4 and what your ILBs are expected to do.

As far as the OLB discussion goes, there's going to be OLBs with different skill sets. It's why a guy like JoJo Domann can move down to OLB despite not being 6'4 to 6'6. That smaller, playmaking OLB definitely has a place in the 3-4 playing as a SAM especially when you're playing a spread team. Putting a 6'6 OLB to cover the slot in space (even in a zone) is not what any defensive coordinator wants to see and that's why you see a SAM OLB w/ much different traits than you'll see out of a bigger, pure pass rushing OLB. Griffin is the exception because he showed the ability to hold the edge and play effectively against more power running teams, but that type of player isn't necessarily the exception against a spread team, where you're much more likely to see that Hyrbid-style OLB play and play much more effectively than one who is 6'4 or 6'6. It's the same reason that they brought Breon Dixon into the fold. You know that the pitch to him was he would play the "Griffin" in their Defense. Chinander wants a player of that mold at his disposal (against the spread, for sure) and, if he can find one that's truly dynamic like Griffin was, he'll play against whatever type of offense they're facing.
They are recruiting taller/longer at OLB compared to ILB. They don’t want tall ILBs. Moot point since Asante isn’t coming.

Last edited:
You guys are fun to watch.

2sn2nn.jpg

So does this change now that he’s not visiting? Serious question. He may have cancelled for other reasons and still is possibly N?
It changes. I think that was pre-cancellation.

OLB no bueno this class. Could maybe say that about one or two other positions but overall pretty well rounded. Have to be careful tho, we could fall into what everyone complained about with previous staffs and holes from recruiting.

We have had pretty good success with Little Bros, Cousins, Sons, and nephews over the years. Just a few.
Michael/Dion Booker
Barney and Sons Cotton
Dean and Baker Steinkuhler
Tom/Bo/Barrett Ruud

There have been Many many more. but you get the idea.
Larry and Scott Frost come to mind.......

Not saying this is the case for Asante but recruits don't have to sign next week.

Not saying this is the case for Asante but recruits don't have to sign next week.

No they do not. In the past they had until mid-April. Not sure this year but would assume its similar

Thought is he will sign with VA Trch

EDIT: Last day to sign is 1 April

Last edited:
They are recruiting taller/longer at OLB compared to ILB. They don’t want tall ILBs. Moot point since Asante isn’t coming.

Do you think they’re recruiting the same type of players for BUCK and SAM? Dylan Jordan was an OLB recruit and he’s smaller than every ILB recruit in this class. He’s a clear-cut SAM. The taller/longer players you’re referencing (Graham, Jean-Baptiste, Summerall) are not being recruited to play SAM. They’re pass rushers.

Aren't you essentially describing Breon Dixon?

We need edge setters, guys that can get their hands up in passing lanes, and get to the QB. Seems to me he is more suited for MLB. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back