• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We didn't help ourselves.

Redfish

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
Like most, I was hoping for a better showing, displaying toughness and hunger that would show recruits we truly are on the move upward. By the same token, we certainly need the best help we can find. Great players will certainly be able to recognize our need for speed and the edge that it takes to play at the highest level, and know there could be immediate playing time for those top people. But again, I was hoping we would show more, I think it would have made recruiting easier to top-flight kids.

Kids want to be able to get to NFL and play for championships. I am afraid we are a ways away from both.

In all fairness, we may have played the best team in the country last night, Certainly better than Clemson. And give me a team that has shown better than OSU yesterday? Alabama possibly, OU maybe but I still don't think their defense is as good as OSU. I will be watching really close when OSU plays PSU. that's probably the only challenger OSU will face. Back to my point, we didn't help ourselves.

In all fairness, we may have played the best team in the country last night, Certainly better than Clemson. And give me a team that has shown better than OSU yesterday? Alabama possibly, OU maybe but I still don't think their defense is as good as OSU. I will be watching really close when OSU plays PSU. that's probably the only challenger OSU will face. Back to my point, we didn't help ourselves.
OSU has 50+ 4 and 5 star rated players on their roster, a lot of senior and juniors on thier starting depth chart. I agree, they might be one of the best teams this year. WE can help ourselves in the next few weeks by winning. Big Big difference between Ohio States team and what the Huskers face in the next several weeks. Getting to a bowl game and the extra practices that come with that will make a difference.

The one thing we could do but didn't was match intensity.... At least not to the level OSU had. That may come with more games and experience? There is a difference between playing hard and being relentless.

It was pretty remarkable how many fans stayed around well into the 4th quarter. While I don't think anyone really liked what they saw on the field, the vast majority that stuck around were there to sincerely support the team. Sure, there were some groans, complaints, and cynical comments, but I didn't notice any booing (except those directed at the officials after a terrible PI call on tOSU's first drive).

The stadium got pretty loud, at least for a short time, after Martinez's long run, Mills TD run, and the one time we forced tOSU to punt... all of which happened when we were down 40+ points. Not too many places where you would see that happen!

The red-filled stadium every home game is how Nebraska became successful in the beginning. No matter the outcome of the game. Bob Devaney's chant made every fan proud and made many, many, Nebraskan's who were neutral about the team, become ardent fans.

The Husker Prayer has been practiced by the player's and many fans for years and has spurred the team on through many a rough year.

It was pretty remarkable how many fans stayed around well into the 4th quarter. While I don't think anyone really liked what they saw on the field, the vast majority that stuck around were there to sincerely support the team. Sure, there were some groans, complaints, and cynical comments, but I didn't notice any booing (except those directed at the officials after a terrible PI call on tOSU's first drive).

The stadium got pretty loud, at least for a short time, after Martinez's long run, Mills TD run, and the one time we forced tOSU to punt... all of which happened when we were down 40+ points. Not too many places where you would see that happen!
That's an ouch right there.

For some kids yeah, the fact that the game didn't look good is a factor. For others they want to go where they can play soon, and have a chance to build something. They want to play somewhere that the fans really appreciate the players and love the game.

The 4-5 star players that have offers from Alabama, Clemson and OSU aren't coming to Nebraska right now anyway. That is just a hard fact right now. They might take a visit to see what is up, and they may really like their visit, but in the end they are probably going to Alabama, Clemson and OSU. Unless those teams drop them they are not considering Nebraska seriously.

For some kids yeah, the fact that the game didn't look good is a factor. For others they want to go where they can play soon, and have a chance to build something. They want to play somewhere that the fans really appreciate the players and love the game.

The 4-5 star players that have offers from Alabama, Clemson and OSU aren't coming to Nebraska right now anyway. That is just a hard fact right now. They might take a visit to see what is up, and they may really like their visit, but in the end they are probably going to Alabama, Clemson and OSU. Unless those teams drop them they are not considering Nebraska seriously.
In reality the hard fact is we never have gotten those kids anyway. Maybe 1 every couple of years. We need to develop who we have and try to be a bit unique in what we do.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back