• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We Are a Bad Football Team

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
I think the swift kick needs to be on the coaching staff starting at the top. Frost brought the whole staff from UCF and not one B1G anywhere.

I think it made a lot of sense to bring his whole staff. I guess you “hit the ground running” with little time to recruit. That said, a few are showing that they can’t cut it and upgrades are needed.

But the question for me is where do you draw the line between lack of talent and lack of good coaching? Is there some reason we think that CBR should be getting better play from Barry, Miller, and Honas? I don’t think any of those three are good enough to play B10 football. So do they deserve a chance to coach up their own recruits?

There's no way of putting lipstick on this pig because it's still a pig. Disgraceful effort combined with constant mistakes is what we saw last night imo. I've defended our coaching staff more then most but to watch the team regressing from last season is beyond disappointing.

Needs to be a complete shakeup in our staff because good teams ALWAYS start with good coaching. Just not seeing that after watching the boat race last night. I'd say the HONEYMOON is over and HCSF needs to make some changes at seasons end.

By year four if we are still seeing us get whipped like we did today i will agree frost wasn’t ready. But as of right now with the way he is recruiting I believe year four will be the year we get back to nine or ten wins a season. Next year will be about like this year though in my eyes. Maybe a little better but we will still get pushed around a little but year four is when the strength and conditioning will really take affect. Wisky didn’t do it in one year and where they started is where we are starting. It takes time to turn around a team like Indiana and sad thing is that where we are at this point and when frost took over. Riley completely destroyed any of the momentum that pelini built
Agree, Sadly. HCSF must take this bye week and re-evaluate himself, his staff and his starters. He must make a recovery like he did last season! Something isn't right in Huskerville!

Last edited:
So much work to do.
Listening to Robert Smith on the broadcast, he was spot on about the D. Not getting to their assignments, not fighting off blocks to handle their gaps. Minnesota played with passion and the Blackshirts were flat and played with zero emotion or fight. No toughness at all. NONE. Sit some guys. Davis twins continue to disappoint, IMO.

I was shocked at how Minnesota pushed our d line around, the lot of them. Daniels had his moments, but all of them went where Minnesota wanted them to and didn't keep the linebackers clean in the least. Of course they didn't help themselves either. No gap integrity and apparently no play recognition either. I meant to look at the Minn-v-Illinois game to see if they ran the same stuff or if these were twists to their base plays, but haven't yet. That might be educational.

The program has been the model of instability over the last 18 years. 5 coaches (every 3.3 years). Offensively, we ahve gone from option/running football to WCO, to spread/zone read-ish, to a more traditional NFL-style offense, back to a spread. We have gone from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and have had by my count 7 defensive coordinators since 2002.

I think our recruiting is overrated.

In 2015, 4 of our top 5 recruits are either out of the program or backups
In 2016, 5 of our top 10 recruits are out of the program
In 2017, 4 of our top 5 recruits are out of the program

So, once you account for that, while on signing day we won the West, I'm not sure that really pans out on paper.

I agree with you about the Solich curse although I think this snowball started to run downhill in 2001 in Boulder when we got stomped by Colorado. We lost our mojo that day.

Anyway, this is a shell of the program. There are so many holes on the team it is hard to comprehend. The OL needs a total overhaul. We need WRs and LBs in the worst possible way. I love Mo Berry's fire, but he's not a very good linebacker. Honas is fair. Alex Davis shouldn't be playing football.

Frost needs five more years, minimum. The program craves stability and frankly, if he fails, I don't know where the program goes.

I have to guard my expectations. I don't think any of the changes that have happened in college football over the last 30 years have been to Nebraska's favor. The geographic disadvantage facing the Huskers is daunting.
Totally agree. Wasn't sure why why HCSF couldn't mirror what he did at UCF here except for what your typed. I don't know the shape UCF was in when he took over but it is obvious that the UCF players bought in 100% and performed above their level. Something we are not seeing with this team.

Counting this recruiting class, Nebraska has 21 "247 Composite" four star athletes on the team out of ~146, including transfers and walkons:
2019 (#18) = 8 [Henrick, Ty Robinson, Benhart, W. Robinson, McCaffrey, Noa Pola-Gates, Darrion Daniels –transfer, Green]
2018 (#23) = 6 [Martinez, Jurgens, Washington, Jones, Wildeman, Tannor]
2017 (#23) = 1 [McQuitty] 5 others left team [Lindsey, Roberts, Gebbia, Johnson, Blades]
2016 (#26) = 4 [Jackson, Rairdon, Dismuke, Farniok] 1 other left team
2015 (#30) = 2 [Lee, Anderson] 2 others left team

We still have players left over from the previous coaching staff that are starters. 24 seniors and 24 juniors. 25 are on the depth chart. [Rest of our roster: 28 sophomores, 32 RsFr, 46 FR]

The program T.O. built is nothing but a memory/history. Nothing left but pictures on the wall and trophies in a display. Wish I had enjoyed it more. Blackshirts must be taken away as part of the attitude adjustment and re-motivation, IMO! :(:Sign2cents:

Last edited:
The program has been the model of instability over the last 18 years. 5 coaches (every 3.3 years). Offensively, we ahve gone from option/running football to WCO, to spread/zone read-ish, to a more traditional NFL-style offense, back to a spread. We have gone from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and have had by my count 7 defensive coordinators since 2002.

I think our recruiting is overrated.

In 2015, 4 of our top 5 recruits are either out of the program or backups
In 2016, 5 of our top 10 recruits are out of the program
In 2017, 4 of our top 5 recruits are out of the program

So, once you account for that, while on signing day we won the West, I'm not sure that really pans out on paper.

I agree with you about the Solich curse although I think this snowball started to run downhill in 2001 in Boulder when we got stomped by Colorado. We lost our mojo that day.

Anyway, this is a shell of the program. There are so many holes on the team it is hard to comprehend. The OL needs a total overhaul. We need WRs and LBs in the worst possible way. I love Mo Berry's fire, but he's not a very good linebacker. Honas is fair. Alex Davis shouldn't be playing football.

Frost needs five more years, minimum. The program craves stability and frankly, if he fails, I don't know where the program goes.

I have to guard my expectations. I don't think any of the changes that have happened in college football over the last 30 years have been to Nebraska's favor. The geographic disadvantage facing the Huskers is daunting.
We'll said.

I know, but he and Carl made a pretty formidable team.

I'm not ready to give up on Chinander, but that was just bad. No way to sugar coat it.
I haven't been a chin fan since the begining, he's got a veteran Defense that should "should" be keeping us in the games. I mentioned it this summer. I'll keep rooting for him and the not blackshirts but not looking good.

I haven't been a chin fan since the begining, he's got a veteran Defense that should "should" be keeping us in the games. I mentioned it this summer. I'll keep rooting for him and the not blackshirts but not looking good.

I saw a few of the UCF games in '17 and it was a mixed bag. 'Keeping us in games' is easier when the offense is on fire, like it was at UCF and toward the end of last year. Yesterday was just off across the board. I can think of a handful of plays on defense that looked like they had an idea what they wanted to do and did it, but the majority of the night looked like a Diaco defense.

I would like to see a change or adjustment to right the ship

what adjustment though?

We have to dispossess ourselves of the fallacy that strategies, tactics, schemes, or adjustments can overcome the limitations of the players on the field, whether they be physical or mental.

we have a notion that the roster is full of great players just looking for the right x’s and o’s to achieve greatness.

right now, Nebraska is mediocre to bad in most position groups. Frost himself said in the presser that he is trying to scheme the team to offensive success because they can’t just line up and move the ball. The line is simply horrible and can’t sustain blocks. Our outside WRs can’t get open and are not a threat down the field. Aside from Wandale and JD, there’s no home run threats.

anyway, I don’t think Frost can adjust his way out of it. He needs to recruit his way out of it and that’s what concerns me

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back