• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Want to play Tennessee-Chattanooga Saturday? (Update, B1G votes it down)

Not everyone in B!G land hates us

I read that same article.....

It’s been a long time since I read something that I agreed with so completely and basically hit EVERY point that I thought important.

The guy who wrote it must be my psychological twin or something.....

Scratch that....I am an idiot. I jumped out of airplanes for a living for 25 years. This guy sounds totally reasonable.

Last edited:

I know I'm in the minority but I'm of the opinion that we shut up, play the games we can that are on the schedule, and abide by the rules the conference put forth in order to play again. It sucks not having a game this weekend but the B1G was clear that for the safety of the players and consistency in testing there would be no out of conference games. I don't have a problem with Nebraska doing this but believe we would have been better served to keep it under wraps. Our whining about conspiracy theories regarding officiating of games, scheduling, and now UTC has all been very public. Why do we continue to have this urge to poke the bear and it comes across as Nebraska trying to make the conference look bad when we air our grievances in the public, especially the administration. When you are willing to accept the perks of being a member of the conference you abide by the rules of the conference. I can imagine to many of the talking heads it looks like entitlement that we don't deserve. Reverse this around a bit and what would we have thought about Kansas State taking these stands in the 80's. Bottom line had this been attempted but kept under wraps, I have no issue, but don't publicly embarrass the conference. The SEC has canceled games and I don't hear this complaining out of them. Granted they have some flexibility to make them up that we don't have but there are no guarantees for them either and they aren't scrambling to play UTC.

Last edited:
Agreed. My whole point is, if we weren’t 1-9 against Wisconsin since joining the conference, if we had won a game against Iowa more recently than 2014, if we weren’t 3-4 against the Gophers since 2013, we may have a leg to stand on. I just think griping about the cross division schedule while we consistently can’t beat the teams in our own division makes us look bad.
I would prefer not to hear Nebraska Cornhuskers mentioned again in the media until the topic is a big win against someone with a pulse.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm of the opinion that we shut up, play the games we can that are on the schedule, and abide by the rules the conference put forth in order to play again. It sucks not having a game this weekend but the B1G was clear that for the safety of the players and consistency in testing there would be no out of conference games. I don't have a problem with Nebraska doing this but believe we would have been better served to keep it under wraps. Our whining about conspiracy theories regarding officiating of games, scheduling, and now UTC has all been very public. Why do we continue to have this urge to poke the bear and it comes across as Nebraska trying to make the conference look bad when we air our grievances in the public, especially the administration. When you are willing to accept the perks of being a member of the conference you abide by the rules of the conference. I can imagine to many of the talking heads it looks like entitlement that we don't deserve. Reverse this around a bit and what would we have thought about Kansas State taking these stands in the 80's. Bottom line had this been attempted but kept under wraps, I have no issue, but don't publicly embarrass the conference. The SEC has canceled games and I don't hear this complaining out of them. Granted they have some flexibility to make them up that we don't have but there are no guarantees for them either and they aren't scrambling to play UTC.
Sorry you are wrong on this. Shut up and go away has necer been our style. Dam the torpedoes full speed ahead.

If you think that all the negative media from the talking heads hurts us in the least....

I just think it’s completely the opposite.

We are a school with a mediocre football program right now. Yet we are being talked about daily. In a way that is going to hurt our team or hurt our recruiting?

I think not.... if anything a recruit and his parents see that there is a school that is absolutely SERIOUS about Football and showcasing their sons ability.
The negative publicity is not about us mistreating a youngster, or bad financial decisions, or cheating or virtually any other true negative.

It’s bad publicity because we have the temerity to ask common sense questions that should be asked by EVERYONE. How dare us!

This fact is not lost on true fans, players and coaches. Whether it’s our team or other teams.

This idea in this country right now that you cannot have an alternate opinion just appalls me.

I hear what you’re saying and I think the ultimate solution is just playing better but in the meantime if you think we should give a hoot what Finebaum, Forde, Howard, Herbie, Wilson, Patrick.....whoever say...

Well I guess it depends on what they’re saying and in this particular case they are demonstrating the normal main stream media approach lately of not viewing the problem with ANY objectivity.

So I tend to totally discount them.

Last edited:
Sorry you are wrong on this. Shut up and go away has necer been our style. Dam the torpedoes full speed ahead.
I don't expect many to agree with me. Is there ever going to be a conference Nebraska is happy in? Will there ever be a conference where the rest of the members can get on board with us? Is there ever going to be a commissioner that isn't out to get us? At some point win games that matter and championships and this goes away and we would be crowing about being kings of the best conference in the land. There is plenty of victim mentality to discuss in HT but you can find plenty of it here as well. When it comes to the point that you have to keep moving because you can't get get along with everyone else, you look in the mirror and say maybe its not the neighbors. Apparently now we want to rejoin the HOA that was the devil just 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I don't expect many to agree with me. Is there ever going to be a conference Nebraska is happy in? Will there ever be a conference where the rest of the members can get on board with us? Is there ever going to be a commissioner that isn't out to get us? At some point win games that matter and championships and this goes away and we would be crowing about being kings of the best conference in the land. There is plenty of victim mentality to discuss in HT but you can find plenty of it here as well. When it comes to the point that you have to keep moving because you can't get get along with everyone else, you look in the mirror and say maybe its not the neighbors. Apparently now we want to rejoin the HOA that was the devil just 10 years ago.

I agree with part of what you are saying. The complaints about scheduling irritate me. All we have to do is play better, and if not win the game, at least be competitive the entire game. If that requires better recruiting, player development, possible personnel changes, so be it.

Having said that, I don't like the way division champs are picked. Cross over games shouldn't be considered in division championships, unless you need a tiebreaker.

Example: If Nebraska wins every game within the West Division, but plays the 3 strongest teams in the East Division, and loses 1 or 2 of the cross over games. But if Iowa loses only 1 game in the West Division (the Nebraska game), but plays the 3 weakest teams in the East Division and wins all 3 games, which team goes to the B1G championship game? Since Iowa has the best record in all the conference games played, they go to the B1G championship game from the West Division. Even though by losing 1 game within the West Division (and Nebraska winning all games within the West Division), proves that Iowa isn't the best team in the West Division. This is something that needs to be changed. If you go to a process that the crossover games are only considered for tiebreaker reasons, no one will have any reasons to complain about the schedule. Especially if the crossover games are scheduled on a predictable, rotating basis.

As for Nebraska trying to schedule a replacement game after Wisconsin cancelled the originally scheduled game with Nebraska. The B1G brass needs to be more flexible, and work to actually play games (but still do it safely). They could learn a lot from how Nebraska has handled Covid-19 from day one. Nebraska was penalized for doing everything right, and Wisconsin being exposed for having a problem in their system. Some would even say Wisconsin was "rewarded" with a "no contest" (instead of a forfeited loss) for having a problem in their system. It is possible that the B1G brass may have doomed the conference's biggest chance for the playoff (Ohio State), if more games end up having to be cancelled.

Or the brass may choose to become hypocrites, and find a way for Ohio State to have a replacement game, if it becomes necessary for Ohio State to make the required numbers to be in the National Championship Playoffs.

I agree with part of what you are saying. The complaints about scheduling irritate me. All we have to do is play better, and if not win the game, at least be competitive the entire game. If that requires better recruiting, player development, possible personnel changes, so be it.

Having said that, I don't like the way division champs are picked. Cross over games shouldn't be considered in division championships, unless you need a tiebreaker.

Example: If Nebraska wins every game within the West Division, but plays the 3 strongest teams in the East Division, and loses 1 or 2 of the cross over games. But if Iowa loses only 1 game in the West Division (the Nebraska game), but plays the 3 weakest teams in the East Division and wins all 3 games, which team goes to the B1G championship game? Since Iowa has the best record in all the conference games played, they go to the B1G championship game from the West Division. Even though by losing 1 game within the West Division (and Nebraska winning all games within the West Division), proves that Iowa isn't the best team in the West Division. This is something that needs to be changed. If you go to a process that the crossover games are only considered for tiebreaker reasons, no one will have any reasons to complain about the schedule. Especially if the crossover games are scheduled on a predictable, rotating basis.

As for Nebraska trying to schedule a replacement game after Wisconsin cancelled the originally scheduled game with Nebraska. The B1G brass needs to be more flexible, and work to actually play games (but still do it safely). They could learn a lot from how Nebraska has handled Covid-19 from day one. Nebraska was penalized for doing everything right, and Wisconsin being exposed for having a problem in their system. Some would even say Wisconsin was "rewarded" with a "no contest" (instead of a forfeited loss) for having a problem in their system. It is possible that the B1G brass may have doomed the conference's biggest chance for the playoff (Ohio State), if more games end up having to be cancelled.

Or the brass may choose to become hypocrites, and find a way for Ohio State to have a replacement game, if it becomes necessary for Ohio State to make the required numbers to be in the National Championship Playoffs.
Good post but if I am not mistaken every conference in the country that has divisions does it the same way the Big Ten does and counts crossover games in determining the divisional champ. My take on Wisconsin is that since they could’ve played but chose not to that has to be a forfeit.

Good post but if I am not mistaken every conference in the country that has divisions does it the same way the Big Ten does and counts crossover games in determining the divisional champ. My take on Wisconsin is that since they could’ve played but chose not to that has to be a forfeit.

That just means every conference with divisions needs to change their procedures. ;)

My procedure is more fair and would give people less to complain about.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back