• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wanna watch some awesome defense?

JHudson

Administrator
Staff member
20 Year Member
1999 Texas A&M game. Two yards rushing allowed, four interceptions, 118 total yards.

Video is on the game page.

Mike Brown had himself a game: Nine tackles, including a 10-yard sack. Two forced fumbles, two INTs.

Watching some of these old games, I came to this conclusion:
1. Defense definitely wins most games.
2. Our major problem over the past 4 years has been defense.
3. In watching the Nebr.-KU, it seems we were playing a 3-4 defense. Am I wrong?
4. We had some outstanding O-line play.
5. The option, when run well, is really a think of beauty.

Watching some of these old games, I came to this conclusion:
1. Defense definitely wins most games.
2. Our major problem over the past 4 years has been defense.
3. In watching the Nebr.-KU, it seems we were playing a 3-4 defense. Am I wrong?
4. We had some outstanding O-line play.
5. The option, when run well, is really a think of beauty.

Are you asking if we played 3-4 vs KU in '99?

If so, no. I didn't watch the whole game, but they frequently split one of the DE's out and walk Carlos Polk up in the gap. Looks like three down lineman, but the fourth was to Polk's left (or right depending on strong side)

Are you asking if we played 3-4 vs KU in '99?

If so, no. I didn't watch the whole game, but they frequently split one of the DE's out and walk Carlos Polk up in the gap. Looks like three down lineman, but the fourth was to Polk's left (or right depending on strong side)
Thanks much. That helps.

That was a fun team to watch. The combination of Miller(time) and Alexander was a thing of beauty.
Less all the fumbles, lol. The game in Austin was gift wrapped. One of the more squandered opportunities. That was a great team for sure. Should have won a national title. It was the best team in the country.

Last edited:

Yes the 99 team should of had another national title, great defense. In my opinion, when Charlie Mcbride retired after the 99 season is when Nebraska lost its edge. Charlie Mcbride knew you had to have speed on defense to play with the miami's and florida st and floridas of the world. Safeties at linebacker like terrell farley, octavious mcfarlin, eric johnson, guys who were 6' 200lbs who could fly. The 2001 colorado game would of NEVER happened if Charlie Mcbride would of still been at Nebraska. Just my opinion

Yes the 99 team should of had another national title, great defense. In my opinion, when Charlie Mcbride retired after the 99 season is when Nebraska lost its edge. Charlie Mcbride knew you had to have speed on defense to play with the miami's and florida st and floridas of the world. Safeties at linebacker like terrell farley, octavious mcfarlin, eric johnson, guys who were 6' 200lbs who could fly. The 2001 colorado game would of NEVER happened if Charlie Mcbride would of still been at Nebraska. Just my opinion
I've said this at least a dozen times on here, that our problems started after McBride retired. So I really agree with much of, if not all of your post here. :Cheers:

By the way i do love the fact that this staff is recruiting more speed on defense then we've seen in awhile. I'm not really sure how i feel about chinander yet, the last few games last year the defense did keep NU in the games, but the offense couldn't get first downs. He is pretty aggressive on defense which is good, but for Scott Frost to get Nebraska back to where it was, he is going to need another Charlie Mcbride to coach the defense. Going to take time.

I watched that game. I looked at the size, strength, and ability of our '99' O and D linemen and look forward to when we see them again at NU. I heard the announcer say that we didn't have any big playmakers but our D as a team was great.
We were 12-1 that year and played Texas twice. Ended up #3 in the nation.

It looked like we had a 5 man front at times.

Last edited:

Less all the fumbles, lol. The game in Austin was gift wrapped. One of the more squandered opportunities. That was a great team for sure. Should have won a national title. It was the best team in the country.
Yeah, the fumbles were killer and really the only time during that season I would yell at the tv. Everything else was lights out. Hard hitting defense with players on all three levels that made stops on contact. Hard hitting offense that relied on a ground/pound run game with tight ends involved and a sweet play action passing game. A head coach who had been there, done that at multiple levels. The 1999 team may be one of my favorites.

That was a fun team to watch. The combination of Miller(time) and Alexander was a thing of beauty.

Nothing about Dan Alexander running the ball was a thing of beauty. That team needed more dependable IBs and then we could start talking it being close to the 1997 team.

Nothing about Dan Alexander running the ball was a thing of beauty. That team needed more dependable IBs and then we could start talking it being close to the 1997 team.
Those were two great teams so from my perspective we're splitting hairs. The 97 team needed a magical play to keep the dream alive. But for a mysterious fumble against Texass the '99 team probably takes some national hardware.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back