• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wanna Read Some TV?

treeplanter

Recruit
10 Year Member
A while back, I introduced a thread attributing the downfall of Nebraska football, at least in part, to Lucy Ricardo, Rod Serling, Archie Bunker, Heathcliff Huxtable, and even self-professed Husker fan Johnny Carson, himself

It seems to have been met with mass confusion and didn’t really go anywhere…

Perhaps this will clear things up?

My intention was to stimulate discussion upon the impact that television has had on college football in general and, specifically, Nebraska football

Once upon a time, TV was a dear friend to the Huskers

From the earliest days of the medium there was a great reticence to televise college football games
Conventional wisdom held that it would be bad for the sport – that it would detract from attendance

Consequently, the NCAA, which controlled TV rights for every school, allowed only a relatively very few college football games to be shown on TV

Those that were shown invariably featured at least one of college football’s 9 ‘blue blood’ programs and/or at least one of the additional dozen or so programs that are regarded as, more or less, historically elite, but not quite to the level of a blue blood

As a result, if you were a fan of a program like Nebraska or Oklahoma, you could expect to see your team on TV, including the bowl, anywhere from 2-3 to 4-5 times per year – depending on the schedule in a given season

And no team benefited from this exposure more so than did Nebraska!

Reason being, we were able to use it as a recruiting tool whereas our peers really couldn’t

The unfortunate fact of the matter is, due our unfortunate geography, we have never been able, at least not on a consistent basis, to recruit, on par, with our peers

Whereas Oklahoma has always competed against the likes of Texas, Alabama, and Notre Dame for the services of the high 4 and 5 star athletes, we have, historically, targeted the 3 and low 4 star players that schools like Missouri, Oklahoma St, and Colorado have gone after

Subsequently, we were able to say to the kids that we were recruiting:
“Hey, if you want to play on national television 3-4 times a year, then you need to come play for us because if you go to Missouri, Oklahoma St, or Colorado, that ain’t happening!”

Oklahoma, though, couldn’t very well say the same thing to the kids they were recruiting because those players knew full well that they could go to Texas, Alabama, or Notre Dame and still be on TV just as often as they would at OU

In 1981, however, Oklahoma sued the NCAA, fighting for the right to negotiate their own TV contracts

The case went all the way up to the Supreme Court and, in the spring of 1984, the Supreme Court of the United States of America, in the Case of the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents V the National Collegiate Athletic Association, ruled in favor of OU and determined that the NCAA was, in fact, guilty of violating multiple federal anti-trust acts

That Fall, for the 1st time ever, conferences and individual schools were allowed to negotiate their own TV contracts
And the number of televised college football games nearly doubled between 1983 and 1984

The Big 10 and the Pac 10, right away, went out and secured their own TV contracts

Meanwhile, the rest of college football banded together and created the CFA {College Football Association} which was then charged with negotiating TV contracts on behalf of their member constituents

It was around 1990, or so, when Notre Dame blew up the college football landscape by withdrawing membership in the CFA and then securing a massive, record breaking TV contract all to their very own

Suddenly, everyone in college football began scrambling to position themselves in order to negotiate a massive TV contract

The SEC drew 1st blood by poaching Arkansas from the SWC and adding formerly independent South Carolina

And just like that, college football’s independent programs began falling like dominoes:
Penn St to the Big 10
Florida St to the ACC
Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia, Virginia Tech all came together to form the newly created Big East football conference

The Big 10 and Pac 10 conferences renegotiated massive TV contracts

Then the SEC dealt the death blow to the CFA by withdrawing membership and inking a massive TV contract of their own

And suddenly the Big 8 conference found itself in deep crap!

Although arguably, or perhaps inarguably, the nation’s premier football conference at that time, the Big 8 realized it was screwed because there was no way it was going to be able to command a TV contract comparable with that of it’s peers

The Big 10 had no problem landing a massive TV contract given that it’s located in the highly populated upper Midwest
Tons of people – tons of TV sets

The Pac 10 had no problem landing a massive TV contract given that it’s located on the highly populated West coast

The SEC had no problem landing a massive TV contract given that it’s located in the highly populated deep South

Notre Dame had no problem landing a massive TV contract given that it’s Notre Dame
Tons of eyeballs – tons of TV sets

But the Big 8 was screwed because the Big 8 was located on the sparsely populated Great Plains
Not many people – not many TV sets

And, so, a plan, that seemed great at the time, was hatched:
“Let’s throw a lifeline to 4 of the schools from the now dying SWC – we’ll expand, rebrand as the Big 12, and with the state of Texas now within the conference footprint, we’ll have no problem inking a TV contract on par with our peers”

Only one problem, though
The University of Texas!!

UT, consistently ranked as not only the nation’s most valuable college football program, but also, overall, as the nation’s most valuable athletic department, is, like it or not, a hot commodity and, despite it’s baggage, always ‘at play’

As such, Texas was being wooed by the Pac 10 at the same time that the Big 8 was negotiating with them
And the Longhorns used this leverage to their advantage

Texas essentially blackmailed the Big 8 into getting their way on almost every single issue

Vote after vote coming up 11-1
UT spearheading the 11 and Nebraska being the lone dissenter

And our Big 8 brethren, some of whom we had been in partnership with for well over 100 years, sided with Texas due to a fear of losing out on the Texas money
{and also, I’m sure, due to a desire to stick the knife in and drop Husker football down a peg or two}

And so, thanks to Texas and their sniveling sycophants, we were forced to abandon our use of Prop 48 players {a previously invaluable tool towards mitigating our inherent disadvantages in recruiting}
This hurt Husker football badly

And thanks to Texas and their sniveling sycophants, we said goodbye forever to the Big 8 conference and embarked upon life in a brand new conference that has no official history prior to 1996
This, too, hurt the Huskers over time

And I won’t even go into NIL which is, I believe, a direct result of the obscene amounts of money that television has pumped into college football as a whole

Money that has allowed even those programs that have traditionally ranked among the bottom feeders of the game to suddenly offer facilities every bit as enticing as that of the blue blood programs

Yep, the way I see it, TV absolutely has impacted college football – and especially Nebraska football
And not really for the better…

Yeah, obviously we wouldn't have been on TV if we hadn't been winning lots of games

Just goes to show, though, that whatever advantages NU might have had were advantages that we were able to create for ourselves
And still can. While not many blue bloods haven't won it all lately, there have been a few. So we still have that others don't.
We need to win, become news, not for TV, but to get the players we need.

And still can. While not many blue bloods haven't won it all lately, there have been a few. So we still have that others don't.
We need to win, become news, not for TV, but to get the players we need.
It is my fervent hope that it is, indeed, the case that Nebraska can still create advantages for itself, but the nature of the game as it exists today suggests that it might be otherwise...

Nebraska football, throughout it's 'modern era' - i.e. Devaney onwards - found success through a unique system {as opposed to landing top 5 ranked recruiting classes ala Georgia, Alabama, Ohio St}

And being that the modern day game has eliminated the means by which we formerly managed to create advantage, we find ourselves in want of a new system

Can lightning possibly strike twice??

Last edited:
It is my fervent hope that it is, indeed, the case that Nebraska can still create advantages for itself, but the nature of the game as it exists today suggests that it might be otherwise...

Nebraska football, throughout it's 'modern era' - i.e. Devaney onwards - found success through a unique system {as opposed to landing top 5 ranked recruiting classes ala Georgia, Alabama, Ohio St}

And being that the modern day game has eliminated the means by which we formerly managed to create advantage, we find ourselves in want of a new system

Can lightning possibly strike twice??
With great coaching and some great players any team has a good chance.
Clemson has faded fast, Miami isn't Miami, FSU is on again off again.
We can get there. Clemsons stretch was similar to our current one.

Getting in the conversation is critical

Last edited:
With great coaching and some great players any team has a good chance.
Clemson has faded fast, Miami isn't Miami, FSU is on again off again.
We can get there. Clemsons stretch was similar to our current one.

Getting in the conversation is critical
Well, I agree that a 'one off' type situation is always a possibility

Even a 2-3 yr run, but what I'm looking for is a return to the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s when our Huskers were a bonofide national championship contender each and every single year

Well, I agree that a 'one off' type situation is always a possibility

Even a 2-3 yr run, but what I'm looking for is a return to the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s when our Huskers were a bonofide national championship contender each and every single year
Just like you can't write off osu or Michigan, no reason we can't make that three in todays compressed super conferences

A while back, I introduced a thread attributing the downfall of Nebraska football, at least in part, to Lucy Ricardo, Rod Serling, Archie Bunker, Heathcliff Huxtable, and even self-professed Husker fan Johnny Carson, himself

It seems to have been met with mass confusion and didn’t really go anywhere…

Perhaps this will clear things up?

My intention was to stimulate discussion upon the impact that television has had on college football in general and, specifically, Nebraska football

Once upon a time, TV was a dear friend to the Huskers

From the earliest days of the medium there was a great reticence to televise college football games
Conventional wisdom held that it would be bad for the sport – that it would detract from attendance

Consequently, the NCAA, which controlled TV rights for every school, allowed only a relatively very few college football games to be shown on TV

Those that were shown invariably featured at least one of college football’s 9 ‘blue blood’ programs and/or at least one of the additional dozen or so programs that are regarded as, more or less, historically elite, but not quite to the level of a blue blood

As a result, if you were a fan of a program like Nebraska or Oklahoma, you could expect to see your team on TV, including the bowl, anywhere from 2-3 to 4-5 times per year – depending on the schedule in a given season

And no team benefited from this exposure more so than did Nebraska!

Reason being, we were able to use it as a recruiting tool whereas our peers really couldn’t

The unfortunate fact of the matter is, due our unfortunate geography, we have never been able, at least not on a consistent basis, to recruit, on par, with our peers

Whereas Oklahoma has always competed against the likes of Texas, Alabama, and Notre Dame for the services of the high 4 and 5 star athletes, we have, historically, targeted the 3 and low 4 star players that schools like Missouri, Oklahoma St, and Colorado have gone after

Subsequently, we were able to say to the kids that we were recruiting:
“Hey, if you want to play on national television 3-4 times a year, then you need to come play for us because if you go to Missouri, Oklahoma St, or Colorado, that ain’t happening!”

Oklahoma, though, couldn’t very well say the same thing to the kids they were recruiting because those players knew full well that they could go to Texas, Alabama, or Notre Dame and still be on TV just as often as they would at OU

In 1981, however, Oklahoma sued the NCAA, fighting for the right to negotiate their own TV contracts

The case went all the way up to the Supreme Court and, in the spring of 1984, the Supreme Court of the United States of America, in the Case of the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents V the National Collegiate Athletic Association, ruled in favor of OU and determined that the NCAA was, in fact, guilty of violating multiple federal anti-trust acts

That Fall, for the 1st time ever, conferences and individual schools were allowed to negotiate their own TV contracts
And the number of televised college football games nearly doubled between 1983 and 1984

The Big 10 and the Pac 10, right away, went out and secured their own TV contracts

Meanwhile, the rest of college football banded together and created the CFA {College Football Association} which was then charged with negotiating TV contracts on behalf of their member constituents

It was around 1990, or so, when Notre Dame blew up the college football landscape by withdrawing membership in the CFA and then securing a massive, record breaking TV contract all to their very own

Suddenly, everyone in college football began scrambling to position themselves in order to negotiate a massive TV contract

The SEC drew 1st blood by poaching Arkansas from the SWC and adding formerly independent South Carolina

And just like that, college football’s independent programs began falling like dominoes:
Penn St to the Big 10
Florida St to the ACC
Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia, Virginia Tech all came together to form the newly created Big East football conference

The Big 10 and Pac 10 conferences renegotiated massive TV contracts

Then the SEC dealt the death blow to the CFA by withdrawing membership and inking a massive TV contract of their own

And suddenly the Big 8 conference found itself in deep crap!

Although arguably, or perhaps inarguably, the nation’s premier football conference at that time, the Big 8 realized it was screwed because there was no way it was going to be able to command a TV contract comparable with that of it’s peers

The Big 10 had no problem landing a massive TV contract given that it’s located in the highly populated upper Midwest

The Pac 10 had no problem landing a massive TV contract given that it’s located on the highly populated West coast

The SEC had no problem landing a massive TV contract given that it’s located in the highly populated deep South

Notre Dame had no problem landing a massive TV contract given that it’s Notre Dame
Tons of eyeballs – tons of TV sets

But the Big 8 was screwed because the Big 8 was located on the sparsely populated Great Plains
Not many people – not many TV sets

And, so, a plan, that seemed great at the time, was hatched:
“Let’s throw a lifeline to 4 of the schools from the now dying SWC – we’ll expand, rebrand as the Big 12, and with the state of Texas now within the conference footprint, we’ll have no problem inking a TV contract on par with our peers”

Only one problem, though
The University of Texas!!

UT, consistently ranked as not only the nation’s most valuable college football program, but also, overall, as the nation’s most valuable athletic department, is, like it or not, a hot commodity and, despite it’s baggage, always ‘at play’

As such, Texas was being wooed by the Pac 10 at the same time that the Big 8 was negotiating with them
And the Longhorns used this leverage to their advantage

Texas essentially blackmailed the Big 8 into getting their way on almost every single issue

Vote after vote coming up 11-1
UT spearheading the 11 and Nebraska being the lone dissenter

And our Big 8 brethren, some of whom we had been in partnership with for well over 100 years, sided with Texas due to a fear of losing out on the Texas money
{and also, I’m sure, due to a desire to stick the knife in and drop Husker football down a peg or two}

And so, thanks to Texas and their sniveling sycophants, we were forced to abandon our use of Prop 48 players {a previously invaluable tool towards mitigating our inherent disadvantages in recruiting}
This hurt Husker football badly

And thanks to Texas and their sniveling sycophants, we said goodbye forever to the Big 8 conference and embarked upon life in a brand new conference that has no official history prior to 1996
This, too, hurt the Huskers over time

And I won’t even go into NIL which is, I believe, a direct result of the obscene amounts of money that television has pumped into college football as a whole

Money that has allowed even those programs that have traditionally ranked among the bottom feeders of the game to suddenly offer facilities every bit as enticing as that of the blue blood programs

Yep, the way I see it, TV absolutely has impacted college football – and especially Nebraska football
And not really for the better…

8usiab.gif

Just like you can't write off osu or Michigan, no reason we can't make that three in todays compressed super conferences
An Ohio St, in the position that they have always enjoyed - being able, as they are, to consistently land top 5 recruiting classes, are poised to compete year in and year out

Can Nebraska ever return to this standard?
Given that:
1. We never have been and almost certainly never will be able to recruit likewise
and
2. The system that we previously devised to overcome our inherent disadvantage in recruiting has been rendered moot in this current era

An Ohio St, in the position that they have always enjoyed - being able, as they are, to consistently land top 5 recruiting classes, are poised to compete year in and year out

Can Nebraska ever return to this standard?
Given that:
1. We never have been and almost certainly never will be able to recruit likewise
and
2. The system that we previously devised to overcome our inherent disadvantage in recruiting has been rendered moot in this current era
The recruiting rankings don't make the team. They help the team, but the schemes and coaching and development make the team.
I see more underachievers, us being one of them, but many worse than us than overachievers.
Overachievers win close games, see Iowa. Once we surpass our 'level' I see winning a lot of games as is.
A current discussion is nil disbursements amongst the team. Old school Nebraska relied upon having a lot of vetted players and development, both advantages now and then.
Adding in SnC was a big advantage, then later our dieticians etc.
Currently I see us leading in recovery which means more practice time more development and better players.
I like MR's take, why not Nebraska ? We have everything including the fan base and support.
There's maybe ten or so teams that can claim this. If we start having top 15 classes, this staff develops like I believe they can we will be in the conversation.

The recruiting rankings don't make the team. They help the team, but the schemes and coaching and development make the team.
I see more underachievers, us being one of them, but many worse than us than overachievers.
Overachievers win close games, see Iowa. Once we surpass our 'level' I see winning a lot of games as is.
A current discussion is nil disbursements amongst the team. Old school Nebraska relied upon having a lot of vetted players and development, both advantages now and then.
Adding in SnC was a big advantage, then later our dieticians etc.
Currently I see us leading in recovery which means more practice time more development and better players.
I like MR's take, why not Nebraska ? We have everything including the fan base and support.
There's maybe ten or so teams that can claim this. If we start having top 15 classes, this staff develops like I believe they can we will be in the conversation.
There were 4 components to the Devaney/Osborne/Solich era
What I like to think as the 4 cornerstones of our modern day college football dynasty

1. Coaching {Devaney/Osborne and long time assistants}
2. Support system {Husker Nation}
3. Superior numbers {Walk On Program}
4. Strength and Conditioning {Husker Power}

You seem to be suggesting that most, if not all, of these tent poles still exist
Yes?

There were 4 components to the Devaney/Osborne/Solich era
What I like to think as the 4 cornerstones of our modern day college football dynasty

1. Coaching {Devaney/Osborne and long time assistants}
2. Support system {Husker Nation}
3. Superior numbers {Walk On Program}
4. Strength and Conditioning {Husker Power}

You seem to be suggesting that most, if not all, of these tent poles still exist
Yes?
We have been caught in SnC, stories still out on MR but looks promising, but I believe our recovery is world class giving us an advantage there.
The current team numbers are in limbo right now, but again, MR wants to emulate the Bobfather and TO with large numbers

It will take, in the long run, more money than NU can amass. The glory days are gone. The best we can do is compete with the big boys, score an occasional upset, and consistently get to a major bowl game.

In 2014, aTm didn't even sneeze at a $480M renovation that increased capacity by 25%. That $480M would be about $630M if the project started today. NU balks at a $450M south stadium renovation because, "golly, we just spent $150M on a new athletic facility," and it's not monetizable.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back