• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wandale....

Perhaps...in a way this helps...no pressure to get this or that player the ball and the right amount of “touches”...

Maybe this “frees” up the play calling a bit....

Buuuut...we absolutely need more production at RB...either Mills or SOMEBODY....or heck just a solid combination of decent running backs and a Correll Buckhalter/Devine Ozigbo type.

Scott threw him into that role to try to get him touches and exposure as well as fill a need.

It was a band aid....didn’t work out in either area.....

So what does Stoops do when things aren't going well? Make changes. I'm certain Stoops wasn't in danger of losing his job, considering the four years prior to this season was the most successful since Bear Bryant was coach in the late-40s/early-50s. But, you can't get complacent in today's college football world.

Exactly right. Frost has to find a balance betwen loyalty to his staff and loyalty to the team, with the scales weighted in favor of the team. He can't let it get so bad the decision is made for him.

Attachments

• eeyore.jpg
    eeyore.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 74
Everyone can speculate and that’s fine but I will take him at his word. He wants to go be closer to his family in a really crappy year where his mother got sick. As far as the team I think we will be fine. We have Alsnte Brown and Mccaffery that could possibly fill the role. They might even have more upside. Frost does need to do a better job recruiting the right guys and hanging on to them. I’m finally relieved that he’s bringing in bigger body wide outs. The first two recruiting classes where tiny honesty. I’m fine with a small receiver or two but you better have the tall rangy guys too. The sky isn’t falling guys so calm down.

de849499-c2e1-42e1-a396-4cabf551a3f3_542294265466931.gif

Lol alright man I’m just trying to be positive. I myself have pointed out many issues with the program but am tired of rehashing them. I’m just trying to get people on the board talking about anything positive they see. I don’t go through life dwelling on the negative. If Frost isn’t successful we will hire someone else. I’m not that emotionally invested in my team. I have other interests and children to invest in. I enjoy all your recruiting information so I’m playing nice with you.

I was planning on Luke taking Wandale's place at receiver, but now it feels to me like Luke may be gone next.
Don't worry, if that is the case, there are many here who will tell you everything is ok and they expect improvement next year while the wild fires surround Memorial Stadium.

I'm beginning to believe we are witnessing the death of college football as we knew it. I'm also convinced that the chances of the 'Huskers being relevant again in my lifetime are dropping daily. I guess a Bob Devaney only comes around once in a lifetime.

College football has been a boiling frog for a long, long time.

I think Luke would be a great Duck R or whatever they call that position. If there was ever a position designed for him, I think this would be it.

Perhaps...in a way this helps...no pressure to get this or that player the ball and the right amount of “touches”...

Maybe this “frees” up the play calling a bit....

Buuuut...we absolutely need more production at RB...either Mills or SOMEBODY....or heck just a solid combination of decent running backs and a Correll Buckhalter/Devine Ozigbo type.

Scott threw him into that role to try to get him touches and exposure as well as fill a need.

It was a band aid....didn’t work out in either area.....
The bolded is an interesting point I hadn't considered.

The past few days I've seen comments like "I'm not sure we will ever turn things around" then citing competition for recruits in the 500 mile radius as a reason. I call BS on this one....you have to look no further than Iowa St to see that it can be done. Ames has less to offer than Lincoln...if ISU can recruit well so can Nebraska.

Do I think its easier to turn things around at a place like Minnesota, or Iowa State or even Illinois....absolutely. Not because of recruiting or facilities but because because of expectations. The fan bases are not as passionate at those schools...unless of course they are winning. I remember going to games in the 90s in Lawrence KS and the fans saying "we're a basketball school" except a few years when they were "good" in football.

With Frost I feel like between his expectations, the school's expectations, the fan and booster expectations, that he puts too much pressure on himself, as well as the players and coaches. This leads to dumb penalties and poor play calling (getting too cute) at times.

At UCF he really had no pressure....can't do worse than 0 for the season right??? The culture also had no where to go but up at UCF...some could probably make the same argument for DONU when Scott arrived as well but I think the expectations here are leading to a fear of failure even from the coaches.

We hear from Frost all the time that "we talk about penalties and dumb mistakes all the time". As dumb as it sounds this could be part of the issue as well since the more you focus on a negative the more you make it happen...for example tell a kid "don't drop that" and see how often they drop it.

This may be the wrong thread for all of this but I've seen some of these comments in this thread so I put it here.

Northwestern just had seven announce that they were transferring and you are saying Fitz is not a quality coach? Schools like Alabama and Clemson I have a bunch of “quality players” transfer every year.

I don't know the answer so I'm asking. Do you know if the majority of those "quality players" start or get significant playing time?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back