• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wandale....

Yea I’m pretty sure I’m not the one who’s missing the point 30+ transfers and a track record of recruiting busts is making.

You were missing the point I was making, and you must have missed the multiple times that I said there's an issue. But one can make their point by bringing up relevant players. That's all I was saying.
I get it there's blood in the water.

This from an article linked on the front page, after seeing these stats I can see why no decent WR would want to play here.

Once again, the bigger question remains how did we get to this point?

Frost will be heading into a pivotal fourth season at Nebraska, and it almost has the feel as if he is starting over in the skill position department. This team will have no proven backs or receivers in 2021, and they will have the only starting quarterback returning in the Big Ten (Adrian Martinez) that did not have a touchdown pass of 20 yards or longer in 2020.

Martinez was just 6-of-20 for 176 yards on his throws that traveled 20 yards or more last season. He had a Big Ten worst 24.2 NFL passer rating on those throws according to PFF. Michigan’s Joe Milton was the next worst with a 53.2 NFL passer rating on deep-ball throws.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/fi...ure-puts-nu-in-a-tough-spot-heading-into-2021
I think part of the reason we got here was they knew AM struggled with downfield throws and reigned in the offense to try and limit his mistakes. Sure, you cut back on mistakes, but the offense looks inept and not fun to play in.

I think part of the reason we got here was they knew AM struggled with downfield throws and reigned in the offense to try and limit his mistakes. Sure, you cut back on mistakes, but the offense looks inept and not fun to play in.

I find the most shocking stat is Martinez ONLY attempted 20 throws of 20 yards or longer with 0 TD’s in the 2020 season. That sounds like a stat from 1920 not 2020! Certainly not fun for a kid with NFL aspirations....

You simply don’t fire coaches who have just finished 9-3 seasons. I believe Frost will get it done at Nebraska but the expectations are so very high the complaining will continue until he has a winning season. As for the attrition ,it’s a much different culture today and he’s going to have to do a better job of vetting his recruits. As Husker fans ( especially us old guys) we’ve been spoiled with the incredible success over a 30 year stretch. I believe Frost will get this program turned around but it’s not going to be nearly as easy as I thought. Go Big Red!

I think Pelini’s success followed by Riley and Frost’s failure may ultimately do a reset on fan expectations. I don’t think any serious individual expects NU to go from where they are today to competing with the Ohio States and the Alabamas of the world. I would like to think they realize this is not going to be a pole vault to the top. It’s going to be a bloody knuckled climb up a sheer rock face. I don’t know if the QB who will turn this program “around“ has graduated HS yet.

As dire as our offense looks right now, if somehow our line could start playing solid football on a consistent basis, even our existing QB’s could start performing at a higher level.

Last edited:
Pandemics suck... been a challenging year for the entire globe. Not gonna judge anyone wanting to be closer to home & family... life is too short.

Bye Wandale, thanks for the memories & best of luck.... next

I think Pelini’s success followed by Riley and Frost’s failure may ultimately do a reset on fan expectations. I don’t think any serious individual expects NU to go from where they are today to competing with the Ohio States and the Alabamas of the world. I would like to think they realize this is not going to be a pole vault to the top. It’s going to be a bloody knuckled climb up a sheer rock face. I don’t know if the QB who will turn this program “around“ has graduated HS yet.

As dire as our offense looks right now, if somehow our line could start playing solid football on a consistent basis, even our existing QB’s could start performing at a higher level.
Frost is the guy for this program however he needs to coach a much more disciplined team. Northwestern is a prime example of a team that simply doesn’t beat itself. Hopefully Nebraska will learn to get out of their own way but that’s going to come with experience. This is still a very young offense the line, the running backs and receivers are all talented but young. Frost has had very few of his first recruiting class ( especially on offense) stick around. His recruiting efforts on defense are gaining experience and it shows on the field. Missing both bowl practices last season and the cancelled spring practice really hurt this young team.
Looking forward to improvement next season as there’s some depth developed and a lot of young players have a year under their belt.

Hate to see him go, wish him all the best with his new team (so long as they're not playing us).

Great athlete & character/culture guy. My heart dropped just about through my stomach when I first read the possibility. Still wish we had him, but feel like we might be better positioned to weather this than I originally thought.
My guess is we'll be seeing him. He wants to be closer to home and have the right touches. Well, KY overs 50% of his wishes. although Louisville, cinncinati (not likely) or even tennessee and ND offer the proximity. Purdue is where I'd lay my money.
Loved the way he carried himself and he did everything asked to help the team win.
I love all of the other speed weapons still to be unleashed. It's early here, but pretty sure the sun is coming up today.

I hate to say this, but I think it's true. I don't know that Nebraska ever "turns it around" in the way that most fans want. Looking at Mark Schlabach's Way too Early Top 25, next season's first poll likely includes five Big Ten teams. Add in Iowa State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, A&M and UT and recruiting throughout "Big Ten country," the Great Plains and in Texas becomes even harder for Frost (and whoever replaces him, whenever that is.)

On top of the recruiting difficulties, Nebraska hasn't shown much ability to develop players on offense and beat teams it theoretically "shouldn't" beat for years now. With the exception of Wan'dale, Nebraska hasn't had a WR who's actually done much of anything on the field since Stanley Morgan, and now Robinson's gone too. Frost doesn't have a RB other than Mills who's done much of anything, and who knows if Mills comes back for another year.

Unfortunately, I keep coming back to the NFL analyst who Sipple quoted comparing Nebraska to Boston College.

Last edited:
While I no longer recall the name of the poster who said this, it was someone with coaching experience who said ...

It's easier to inherit a group of players who hasn't experienced winning and convince them you can teach them how to win than it is to inherit a group of players who have been winning and convince them you have a better approach to winning.

Riley inherited a bunch of players that were beyond pissed that Bo was let go. Let alone half the fan base. There was some strong pushback to Riley's hiring. Now, that's not to completely excuse Riley. His biggest fault was allowing Eichorst to have too much control. And all that said, I won't claim Riley is a good coach. But I won't Scott Frost either. Not to this point anyhow. Yes, without knowing either's abilities to coach at Nebraska beforehand, I'd take Frost over Riley without even thinking about it. We all would. But as any sports fan should know, it doesn't always work out as we hoped.

Regardless -- even if you wish to call all of that hogwash -- losing by 18 to an Illinois who fired their coach at year's end -- and a Minnesota team whose defense had gotten their ass handed to them all season, had their top WR opt out the week prior, and dealt with dozens of Covid positives -- well, those things have a grand total of nothing to do with Riley in year three. The Riley excuse may have had some bearing in year one. In year three -- that's just no longer the case. We returned the entire 2019 offensive line in 2020, a 3-year starting QB, the starting RB, the starting TE, and Wan'Dale -- as much starting experience as you'll ever have returning -- yet that was arguably the least productive offense any of us have ever seen. That's also not on Riley. I'll be damn glad when the day comes when no one else mentions Riley as an excuse for Scott Frost. Good coaches don't need excuses -- not in year three.

Great post

My guess is we'll be seeing him. He wants to be closer to home and have the right touches. Well, KY overs 50% of his wishes. although Louisville, cinncinati (not likely) or even tennessee and ND offer the proximity. Purdue is where I'd lay my money.
Loved the way he carried himself and he did everything asked to help the team win.
I love all of the other speed weapons still to be unleashed. It's early here, but pretty sure the sun is coming up today.
I hope it is not Purdue. Transferring to another Big 10 West team would be an absolute betrayal.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back