• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wandale goes in depth on transfer

Being small, he has an advantage, say over a Bookie, who has to tackle much bigger guys, WR can avoid them or protect himself, but there are some similarities between him and bookie, small playing big.

Regardless, he didnt get in the end zone, where it counts, didnt get deep balls, where it counts, didnt have that many broken plays, where it counts.

Played more like Marlon Lucky than JD, who did get open deep, did get in the end zone, and did have broken plays.

In 2018, where we used JD alot, he had 66 catches , had 8 TDs, and a average per catch at a 12 yds a pop.
2019, he was used more long ball, had fewer TDs at 5,fewer catches at 49 at 18 yds per pop.
Wandale just didnt ever have the deep ball catches, if thats strictly on the staff, then they obviously changed the way they treated him vs JD, who had more of the WR role in 2018 than JDs role in 2019.

But either way, WR catch rate, being similar to JDs 2018 rate per game, his yds per catch was much lower where last year he finished 10th on the team in yds per catch, and in 2019 finished 11th in yds per catch on the team.

If that was the reason for him to leave, I get that, but he wasnt getting to the end zone regardless, and when he did, he often payed the price, almost like how the Big has been playing us, hit em in the mouth, and we fold.

Hes no longer here

To the bolded, I think ANY kid with his kind of skills is going to want the ball anywhere on the field. I'm also guessing they really want it in situations where they're likely to be successful, especially if their goal is to take their bag of tricks to the next level. 2020 saw a lot of instances where we put Robinson in a position to have to use his speed and quickness to get back to the line of scrimmage, rather than get him the ball in open space and watch him work. That's on the staff....and in some cases (especially the bubble or WR screen) on the other parts of the offensive puzzle. Martinez absolutely threw some clunkers out there that played a role in that as well. It's never one thing or one guy. I hear from multiple people here that Robinson has a 'guy' in his ear about his future and that likely played a bigger role in the transfer than anything else.

On his class shown since his departure versus what we've seen internally, we are in agreement. Everyone wants to know why and wants someone to blame. In the end it's a team sport and an individual decided to leave. Unless there is mistreatment, blame the individual. If he's not happy and has to move on, I get it. I'm not upset with him, the staff or Martinez. I'm looking forward to a long summer of waiting for September and Husker football.
Crab, I agree with both of your posts. Robinson is a great player. I don’t agree with his departure, but I get it. His family and advisor never wanted him to leave home. An ugly year of football at Nebraska made it easier for him to leave. But it’s on him. He’s a big boy and made his decision. He’s no longer part of the program. I’ll focus on the guys who chose to stay and play for that N on the side of their helmet.

Crab, I agree with both of your posts. Robinson is a great player. I don’t agree with his departure, but I get it. His family and advisor never wanted him to leave home. An ugly year of football at Nebraska made it easier for him to leave. But it’s on him. He’s a big boy and made his decision. He’s no longer part of the program. I’ll focus on the guys who chose to stay and play for that N on the side of their helmet.

First of all let me preface my statement by saying I never wanted WR to leave the program. He was definitely an asset to the program.

With that being said, I would not describe WR as a great player. He was a good player but I don't think he was/is great. He came in with a lot of hype and was suppose to be Rondale Moore's little brother. He has great wiggle, good hands and is tough as nails. He doesn't have the top end speed to be truly great. I knew that after watching him get caught from behind on that shovel pass his freshman year against Northwestern. I was thinking he was gone when he broke clear and that DB closed on him fast.

It's not his fault you are only gifted with so much speed and that speed can only be improved so much.

Was he overused as a RB I don't know, maybe. Was he used too much running the ball at the goal line? Definitely yes. My personal opinion is that he was so versatile and really knew the playbook so well that that was the big reason he was used so much as a RB. I don't think they trusted the other guys as much to know what to do.

Sad that he left, but he is gone. I will freely admit I am wrong and say he was miss used at Nebraska if at Kentucky he catches 75 balls for 1100 yards and 9 TDs. But, I don't think that will happen.

First of all let me preface my statement by saying I never wanted WR to leave the program. He was definitely an asset to the program.

With that being said, I would not describe WR as a great player. He was a good player but I don't think he was/is great. He came in with a lot of hype and was suppose to be Rondale Moore's little brother. He has great wiggle, good hands and is tough as nails. He doesn't have the top end speed to be truly great. I knew that after watching him get caught from behind on that shovel pass his freshman year against Northwestern. I was thinking he was gone when he broke clear and that DB closed on him fast.

It's not his fault you are only gifted with so much speed and that speed can only be improved so much.

Was he overused as a RB I don't know, maybe. Was he used too much running the ball at the goal line? Definitely yes. My personal opinion is that he was so versatile and really knew the playbook so well that that was the big reason he was used so much as a RB. I don't think they trusted the other guys as much to know what to do.

Sad that he left, but he is gone. I will freely admit I am wrong and say he was miss used at Nebraska if at Kentucky he catches 75 balls for 1100 yards and 9 TDs. But, I don't think that will happen.
Good versus great is relative and subjective, of course. I consider him a great college football player. I think his quickness, acceleration, and elusive put him in the great category, especially considering that he was a true freshman and sophomore at Nebraska. He was a student of the game and learned the playbook quickly. He seems to have a high football IQ. Those traits also factor into my evaluation of him. It would have been nice to keep him, but we have some really good skill players in 2021.

Good versus great is relative and subjective, of course. I consider him a great college football player. I think his quickness, acceleration, and elusive put him in the great category, especially considering that he was a true freshman and sophomore at Nebraska. He was a student of the game and learned the playbook quickly. He seems to have a high football IQ. Those traits also factor into my evaluation of him. It would have been nice to keep him, but we have some really good skill players in 2021.

Are they ready yet?

We have a lot of guys that have come in and were supposed to be this or supposed to be that. Perhaps the reason that so many of them are not panning out like they should has more to do with the way we are developing players then the original evaluation of players being wrong.

We took Farniok and left Jackson to Iowa. Farniok was the guy we wanted and everyone else did too. At the end of the day Jackson is a 1st round pick and All B1G, Farniok was much maligned his entire career at Nebraska. There is a reason we out recruit Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota every year but they are consistently better then us and that reason isnt that the recruiting services are wrong every year.

We have a lot of guys that have come in and were supposed to be this or supposed to be that. Perhaps the reason that so many of them are not panning out like they should has more to do with the way we are developing players then the original evaluation of players being wrong.

We took Farniok and left Jackson to Iowa. Farniok was the guy we wanted and everyone else did too. At the end of the day Jackson is a 1st round pick and All B1G, Farniok was much maligned his entire career at Nebraska. There is a reason we out recruit Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota every year but they are consistently better then us and that reason isnt that the recruiting services are wrong every year.

First of all. Whatever WR did as a true freshman really had nothing to do with development. He was suppose to be like Rondale Moore. They trained together and are friends. I am not saying he doesn't have a lot of the same attributes that Rondale Moore has, but he is not as good. He just isn't. That has nothing to do with development at Nebraska.

On to your second paragraph, I am going to leave PJ and Minnesota out of this equation because I would not say a 2 year winning streak is consistently better. PJ in his 4 years at Minnesota has had 1 really good year so lets not throw him in with Iowa and Wisconsin just yet.

I would agree that Iowa and Wisconsin have done a lot better job of developing players, in particular offensive and defensive linemen ever since Nebraska had been in the B1G. The reason that is is because both of those teams have been doing the exact same thing in their development for a minimum of 20 years. Iowa has had 1 coach since 1999. Wisconsin has had 1 system since 1990. That is the big difference. Nebraska since Farniok has been here has had 2 different HC, 2 different O-line coaches and most importantly 2 completely different offensive systems.

I guess I think Farniok has played OK. No not all B1G by any stretch of the imagination, but OK. I personally never put a lot of stock inrecruiting hype of offensive and defensive linemen. They both need a ton of development even if they are a 4*. There is just too many variables involved with linemen.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back