• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Walk Ons - Need Someone to Explain

BLyons11

Recruit
5 Year Member
With the amount of walk-ons we're projected to have each year... (15-20 range? is that right).

Did someone ever conclude how this affects Title 9 and what it will mean for numbers regarding other NU athletic programs moving forward?

Also, is there any other Division 1 program that any one knows of that adds this many walks ons per year? I guess Coach Frost is hoping to carry 130-150 players on the roster after 4 for full years of implementing this?

I personally think this will be awesome for competition, depth, scout teams, weight lifting etc... but do the logistics of practice team reps get complicated? Surely the coaching staff has all of this planned out correctly but was hoping someone could walk me through it!

Thanks

Yeah, it’s been discussed in the media. Here’s an article from this summer. The OWH or LJS also had one a few weeks ago, can’t find it at the moment though.

Within that conversation of building that roster, there are also finances and Title IX rules to consider.

Frost expressed his appreciation for the Title IX legislation and everyone having an equal opportunity to chase their dreams. He talked about potentially adding women's sports, not subtracting from them.

They'll need to "match" the numbers at some point. It's never perfect but there needs to be the chance

With the amount of walk-ons we're projected to have each year... (15-20 range? is that right).

Did someone ever conclude how this affects Title 9 and what it will mean for numbers regarding other NU athletic programs moving forward?

Also, is there any other Division 1 program that any one knows of that adds this many walks ons per year? I guess Coach Frost is hoping to carry 130-150 players on the roster after 4 for full years of implementing this?

I personally think this will be awesome for competition, depth, scout teams, weight lifting etc... but do the logistics of practice team reps get complicated? Surely the coaching staff has all of this planned out correctly but was hoping someone could walk me through it!

Thanks
This is great news for the new women's curling team.

I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't have to be an exact match of male to female if you are making an attempt to offer more woman's sports as a whole and appear to be offering more opportunities that average in those woman sports. There is an understanding that football would require more because of the shear size of rosters. Now in Nebraska's case we offer 9 men's sports and 13 women's. They might have to make more adjustments as it grows by possibly adding more woman sports or getting rid of a men's sport.

I'm not sure getting rid of a men's sport is necessarily a great adjustment as you would probably be getting rid of a low roster sport. Tennis, cross country or golf. I could see bringing on woman's field Hockey as an opportunity because it has a larger roster.

I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't have to be an exact match of male to female if you are making an attempt to offer more woman's sports as a whole and appear to be offering more opportunities that average in those woman sports. There is an understanding that football would require more because of the shear size of rosters. Now in Nebraska's case we offer 9 men's sports and 13 women's. They might have to make more adjustments as it grows by possibly adding more woman sports or getting rid of a men's sport.

I'm not sure getting rid of a men's sport is necessarily a great adjustment as you would probably be getting rid of a low roster sport. Tennis, cross country or golf. I could see bringing on woman's field Hockey as an opportunity because it has a larger roster.
Just have to make an attempt due to the law suits that were starting to be filed about places being more apt to get rid of men’s sports than create women’s opportunities.

Throw rowing in there as a possible “cheap” sport to add for women. Pepin stepping up has walk-ons for track.

Just have to make an attempt due to the law suits that were starting to be filed about places being more apt to get rid of men’s sports than create women’s opportunities.

Throw rowing in there as a possible “cheap” sport to add for women. Pepin stepping up has walk-ons for track.
I say we add a women’s lingerie football team that plays a short game at halftime instead of the band to cover Title 9.

upload_2019-1-26_18-8-40.jpeg

Last edited:

Serious question, does cheerleading and dance team count as qualifying Title 9 sports? I think they get scholarships don’t they?

As for them being sports I’ve had some exposure to competitive cheerleading through my wife and it definitely takes athleticism and a large amount of time. Dance team certainly takes a lot of time to do their routines in unison. If bowling, rifle shooting and curling are “sports” then they should certainly could be considered as well. I’m not sure college cheerleaders do competitions, but even if not I think the same applies.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back