• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Paruguay Copa Ameirca Game Three (6/11/16)

The Copa is still charging too much money for the casual American soccer fan. Looking at other knockout stage games in major tournaments on American soil, I don't see why so much is being made of this attendance.

2009 Gold Cup:
USA v. Panama in the knockout round
Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia
Attendance: 32,000

2011 Gold Cup
USA v. Jamaica in the knockout round
RFK Stadium, Washington DC
Attendance: 45,042

2013 Gold Cup
USA v. El Salvador in the knockout round
Reliant Stadium, Houston
Attendance: 70,000*

2015 Gold Cup
USA v. Cuba
M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore
Attendance: 37,994

*Houston has a huge El Salvadoran population.

Last edited:
I agree with HnC. The attendance "issue" is wayyyyy overblown. People are complaining about nearly 45,000, and my guess is it'll be closer to 50,000 when it's all said and done. At this point, people are just finding things to nitpick about. Heck, over half the stadiums used in the Euro have capacity at less than what's already sold for the US/Ecuador match. Plus, it's Ecuador. Not exactly a country that has a lot of support in a city like Seattle, and not a country that will encourage people to pay for overpriced tickets.

So whats your explanation as to why the USMNT struggled with attendance in the 5 ot 6 games before the Copa? In MLS Stadiums with affordable ticket prices?

When Mexico as they are now was packing stadiums. Also without looking I guarantee you the UAWNT was drawing more too

There is more than meets the eye no matter how its poo poo'd off....

I agree with HnC. The attendance "issue" is wayyyyy overblown. People are complaining about nearly 45,000, and my guess is it'll be closer to 50,000 when it's all said and done. At this point, people are just finding things to nitpick about. Heck, over half the stadiums used in the Euro have capacity at less than what's already sold for the US/Ecuador match. Plus, it's Ecuador. Not exactly a country that has a lot of support in a city like Seattle, and not a country that will encourage people to pay for overpriced tickets.

Why is attendance better than the 2009 Gold Cup? Why is it better than the 2011 Gold Cup? Why is it better than the 2015 Gold Cup?

Porkchop nailed it. People are looking for reasons to complain about US soccer.

Now we are going to complain about friendly warm-ups before a tournament? C'mon...

Last edited:
So whats your explanation as to why the USMNT struggled with attendance in the 5 ot 6 games before the Copa? In MLS Stadiums with affordable ticket prices?

When Mexico as they are now was packing stadiums. Also without looking I guarantee you the UAWNT was drawing more too

There is more than meets the eye no matter how its poo poo'd off....

Already the US/Ecuador match will be around the 50th most attended match in USMNT history. That's if there are no more tickets sold, which there will be between now and kickoff. That sounds about right for a quarterfinal match with Ecuador in a city where there's little to no Ecuador support.

http://www.ussoccer.com/mens-national-team/records/mnt-attendance-by-year/largest-crowds-mnt-home

Last edited:
I will ask again whats your explanation as to why the USMNT struggled with attendance in the 5 to 6 games before the Copa? In MLS Stadiums with affordable ticket prices? Oh and Mexico packed stadiums in their pre-Copa friendlies....

Like I said if I was in Seattle I would be at the game....and I have no love for Klinsman.....

Sure people may be looking for more reasons to compalin about US Soccer and one could make the argument that those that are Velcro'd to Klinsman will drink the Kool-Aid until the very end. It is what it is....there is a very big divide between the fan base right now....those who want Klinsman out and those that will stay loyal to the end. It is obvious as hell who is who. I make no bones and and I have never made any bones about the fact that I think he was a terrible hire and I have seen nothing to change my mind....am I entrenched...sure....but so are others on the other side....it is what it is....might as well be honest about it....this is like a parallel of the whole Bo Pelini saga....except some people are on opposite sides now.....funny how that is. :) :)

FWIW the chatter is he could be out if the USA loses tonight....I personally don't think Gualti will make any move...

Anyway...lets go beat Ecuador and move on. :)

Oh and you and I are good we always have been...I respect your opinion even when we get a bit heated and consider you a friend and one of the more knowledgeable guys in this forum...even if we disagree at times....:)

Already the US/Ecuador match will be around the 50th most attended match in USMNT history. That's if there are no more tickets sold, which there will be between now and kickoff. That sounds about right for a quarterfinal match with Ecuador in a city where there's little to no Ecuador support.

http://www.ussoccer.com/mens-national-team/records/mnt-attendance-by-year/largest-crowds-mnt-home

Last edited:
I can guarantee you I can find attendances from other friendlies that were low. In comparing this tournament to other tournaments on US soil, the attendance isn't any lower. I looked at 4 knockout games featuring US soccer on US soil, and tonight's game will be better attended than 3 of them.

There is blind hatred for JK, and it didn't just start. When you have people who write for MLS soccer hoping USA loses just because they hate JK, you know they will look for any reason to whine about US soccer. And then you have MLS writers like Doyle, on the day of a huge match, retweeting a stupid poll asking fans if they want US to lose in order to get rid of JK. So yes, there are plenty of people looking for any reason to complain.

This attendance is no worse than the recent Gold Cups. I don't ever remember a single peep being raised about the attendance in those matches.

US soccer or Copa, whoever sets these ticket prices, are being stupid. Of course Mexico will have no problem selling tickets. They have a larger, rabid fan base than US does. Soccer is the biggest sport, by far, in Mexico and for those of Mexican heritage. It's not even in the Top5 in the USA (but there's certainly much improvement).

Super high ticket prices and a lack of marketing and exposure (ESPN is giving all the coverage to the Euro tournament). On top of that, the Copa has been competing with the NBA finals, NHL finals and MLB.

Last edited:

I will ask again whats your explanation as to why the USMNT struggled with attendance in the 5 to 6 games before the Copa? In MLS Stadiums with affordable ticket prices?

Like I said if I was in Seattle I would be at the game....and I have no love for Klinsman.....

Sure people may be looking for more reasons to compalin about US Soccer and one could make the argument that those that are Velcro'd to Klinsman will drink the Kool-Aid until the very end. It is what it is....there is a very big divide between the fan base right now....those who want Klinsman out and those that will stay loyal to the end. It is obvious as hell who is who. I make no bones and and I have never made any bones about the fact that I think he was a terrible hire and I have seen nothing to change my mind....am I entrenched...sure....but so are others on the other side....it is what it is....might as well be honest about it....this is like a parallel of the whole Bo Pelini saga....except some people are on opposite sides now.....funny how that is. :) :)

FWIW the chatter is he could be out if the USA loses tonight....I personally don't think Gualti will make any move...

Anyway...lets go beat Ecuador and move on. :)

Oh and you and I are good we always have been...I respect your opinion even when we get a bit heated and consider you a friend and one of the more knowledgeable guys in this forum...even if we disagree at times....:)

Sure, there's probably some who have given up, and fan fatigue, but the US is currently averaging over 47,000 (including the most recent Seattle figures) for the Copa. That's pretty good, considering the team just hosted the Gold Cup last year, and the GC saw the team average roughly 38,000 for attendance playing 3 of the 5 matches in NFL stadiums. Even if you take out the pitiful 3rd place match at last year's GC, the US still averaged roughly 43,500 for its matches, playing 3 of 4 matches in NFL stadiums. I don't remember attendance being an issue last summer.

I don't believe for a second that Gulati fires JK should the team lose tonight. Won't matter anyways, because the US will win, probably 2-1.

There is also blind loyalty to Klinsman from certain writers and certain fans....It is what is and we all see it...like it or not....its all in the eye of the beholder. Once again we can agree to disagree....

I am honest about where I stand and make no apologies at this point in time...nothing I have seen has changed my mind to date about Klinsman....if I do see I will be the first to say I was wrong and be upfront about it....

As for hate I don't hate anyone...well maybe the bad guys my troops I were sent to send to hell in the combat zones I have been. Hate is a strong word and needs to be carefully used and directed. Perhaps some people do hate Klinsman...I am not one....I just think he is a poor coach, was a poor hire and we can do better.

With that being said we will have to agree to disagree....which is okay....great to live in a country where we are afforded the liberty to do so. :)''

Now lets go beat Ecuador....like I have said we have the best players we have had in our history, the resources, the home country advantage....no excuses not to win it all....

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/GrantWahl">@GrantWahl</a> my Sounders STH seat is $32. The QF ticket is $180 + $15 fee. 6x as expensive. Disgusting.</p>&mdash; Forrest Smith (@ForrestTheWoods) <a href="https://twitter.com/ForrestTheWoods/status/743309525462069249">June 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I do not think he fires him either.....as Lalas said he is to married to him. If he does it has to be now with the WC so close.

If I were to pick I would say it ends up a draw and goes to PKs....remember no OT in the Copa.....I sure hope we win it in regulation though...:) :)

Like I said we can agree to disagree on the attendance issue.....Mexican fans find a way to fill stadiums....and yes I agree the ticket prices are horrible (I know what my daughter and I paid to see the GC Final at the Rose Bowl was obscene---which was 80% Mexican fans in the stadium)....you and I are good and always will be....you know that my good friend....

I appreciate you standing up for you believe even when we disagree. Hope to hook up with you some day and cheer the USA on to a big win...:) :)

Sure, there's probably some who have given up, and fan fatigue, but the US is currently averaging over 47,000 (including the most recent Seattle figures) for the Copa. That's pretty good, considering the team just hosted the Gold Cup last year, and the GC saw the team average roughly 38,000 for attendance playing 3 of the 5 matches in NFL stadiums. Even if you take out the pitiful 3rd place match at last year's GC, the US still averaged roughly 43,500 for its matches, playing 3 of 4 matches in NFL stadiums. I don't remember attendance being an issue last summer.

I don't believe for a second that Gulati fires JK should the team lose tonight. Won't matter anyways, because the US will win, probably 2-1.

Last edited:

Just an FYI, there are not 67,000 seats available for this game. As they do with Sounder games, much of the upper section is not being opened.

Stadium holds 69,000. So they are only closing off 2,000 seats. The Sounders drew 43,000 a game (which is a sellout if recall correctly)....Sounders fans have argued that they could see the stadium out if they opened it up all the way.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back