• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Mexico: WCQ (6/11/17)

Great draw for us. Arena proving he's far superior to JK, but we all knew that. Have to admit, I didn't like us sitting back, but that's why Bruce is where he is right now. He knows his guys and they come to play for him.

Some remarks:

1. Beasley shouldn't be in our plans as a starter. I could live with him subbing in for a final 15 minutes to hold the fort, but at 35 and time not on his side with better youth around than ever before......well, we have better options all over the place.
2. Yedlin rebounded in the second, but note that Arriola finally got called out by Stu during the 2nd for not providing appropriate cover all night. I have no idea what Ives was watching when he singled out Arriola for a nice first half. It was clear he was lost all night defensively.
3. Wood. He really offered nothing. No idea what going on with him. Don't know if its the injury or whatever happened at Hamberg this year, but he looks terrible. Altidore came in and immediately provided a presence up top in limited duty. I would literally give him a 1.5 rating and that's only because he ran around here and there. He didn't even do things off the ball to open anything up. His night was defined best by his complete whiff from 3 yards out earlier in the game that led to the counter goal by Mexico. Ugh. He was beyond awful. What happened to him? He was dangerous and helpful last year. Has to be the injury, right?
4. Centerbacks. I'll put them all in here. Even Ream. Pressured all night. Rarely, if ever, lost their shape. Never left a run unmarked? I can't think of one. Just fantastic. Some missed opportunities heading at the other end, but that won't diminish their contributions. At least 8s across the board.
5. Arriola. Commented above regarding his lack of presence defensively. Had some nice moments attacking in the first 15 minutes then disappeared here too. He's a solid 2.5. Honestly, he seemed completely inept in his role but he's certainly better than this. I'm thinking he needs more time in practice in that set to understand what is asked of him. He'll come around.
6. Guzan. We don't have anyone else to back up Howard? Honestly, I don't like where we are at with GK right now. At all.

What I most definitely do know is that if we tried that formation under JK, we would have switched back to a 4 man backline after Mexico put their second in the back of the net halfway through the first half, only after surrendering 6 shots on goal once Mexico found they could pass 35 yards from goal with impunity. The difference was the patience and confidence holding shape defensively. We never saw that from a JK coached team. Never. There was always at least 2 midfielders completely out of position requiring one of the backline to fill and blow up the entire scheme. Not last night. I was fully expecting it all to implode at some point. It never did. Whether that's actually coaching or players doing what is asked of them by a coach they like.......I have no idea. I'm guessing it's the latter.

I agree it was time for JK to leave, but we got results in Azteca with him leading as well. We pulled off accomplishments few thought we would (advancing out of the GOD in the WC). What many kept criticizing JK for, which was sitting back and not attacking against better teams, is exactly how we pulled out this draw. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

76-24 possession looks bad, but constant possession without penetration is still just masturbarion.

Bruce Arena like his style as person or not is a mastermind when it comes to futbal/soccer. Like you said those of us who knew Bruce were aware of this and yeah its not even close when it comes to coaching, tactics etc when you compare Bruce to the previous coach. The change as we both know should have been made a long time ago and this only proves it.

Bruce talked about how he watched film on how Costa Rica was able to do what they did in the 2014 WC and made the decision to go with those tactics in his game plan in order to have a chance to compete with Mexico. It worked.

Beasley is a warrior and deserves all the plaudits he gets but yeah at 35 there is a still a roll for him, just not as a starter anymore. Bruce's gamble was that Beasley (as had others who started) had played in and was familiar Azteca from his time in the Mexican La Liga.

Yedlin is an anomaly in that he is consistently inconsistent. The talent is there it just needs to be nurtured and coached AND he has to listen and being a willing participant in it. That has to be done at club level though and in the EPL as we both know tough to do that.

Wood looks like the Wood you and I had no faith in when he emerged on the national team realm. For what ever reason he has lost his way again and reverted back to his old habits and that is not good. No clue what the issue is. Having been a striker myself I can tell you confidence is huge and he may be suffering from a lack of that at that moment. He needs to get it back because unlike the last coach Bruce will sit anyone's butt who is not producing.

The defense was very good. I said many times under the previous coach that the tactics of pushing forward on defense was one of the biggest problems in why we went from a great defense to mediocre. Arena has changed those tactics back to what he taught and demanded. In his seven game stint (4-0-3) we have given up only one goal in the run of play. Bradley was outstanding in front of them too.

Not a fan of Arriola.

Guzan played because of the off season surgery Howard had where he can not turn around and play that fast. You know I have never been fan of Guzan. He is an above average goalie but far from great. Not to mention i stated pretty much what you did this last week. He is not and never has been the answer contrary to what some US fans around the net etc. have stated. I have to say Jonathan Klinsman looked awfully good in the U-20 WC. I think there are options like him out there and I think you will begin to see a few of them phazed in by Bruce.

Had the previous coach still been in charge we would have lost in Azteca and I have no doubt or reservations about that. These players will play for Bruce for all the obvious reasons. I think its both coaching and trust in him.

Bottom line as Dottse said we are on our way to qualifying and I think like he also said finishing no less than second which after the horrendous start to the Hex is quite noteworthy.

Lot to be happy about and somethings still to fix but we are headed in the right direction.

Great draw for us. Arena proving he's far superior to JK, but we all knew that. Have to admit, I didn't like us sitting back, but that's why Bruce is where he is right now. He knows his guys and they come to play for him.

Some remarks:

1. Beasley shouldn't be in our plans as a starter. I could live with him subbing in for a final 15 minutes to hold the fort, but at 35 and time not on his side with better youth around than ever before......well, we have better options all over the place.
2. Yedlin rebounded in the second, but note that Arriola finally got called out by Stu during the 2nd for not providing appropriate cover all night. I have no idea what Ives was watching when he singled out Arriola for a nice first half. It was clear he was lost all night defensively.
3. Wood. He really offered nothing. No idea what going on with him. Don't know if its the injury or whatever happened at Hamberg this year, but he looks terrible. Altidore came in and immediately provided a presence up top in limited duty. I would literally give him a 1.5 rating and that's only because he ran around here and there. He didn't even do things off the ball to open anything up. His night was defined best by his complete whiff from 3 yards out earlier in the game that led to the counter goal by Mexico. Ugh. He was beyond awful. What happened to him? He was dangerous and helpful last year. Has to be the injury, right?
4. Centerbacks. I'll put them all in here. Even Ream. Pressured all night. Rarely, if ever, lost their shape. Never left a run unmarked? I can't think of one. Just fantastic. Some missed opportunities heading at the other end, but that won't diminish their contributions. At least 8s across the board.
5. Arriola. Commented above regarding his lack of presence defensively. Had some nice moments attacking in the first 15 minutes then disappeared here too. He's a solid 2.5. Honestly, he seemed completely inept in his role but he's certainly better than this. I'm thinking he needs more time in practice in that set to understand what is asked of him. He'll come around.
6. Guzan. We don't have anyone else to back up Howard? Honestly, I don't like where we are at with GK right now. At all.

What I most definitely do know is that if we tried that formation under JK, we would have switched back to a 4 man backline after Mexico put their second in the back of the net halfway through the first half, only after surrendering 6 shots on goal once Mexico found they could pass 35 yards from goal with impunity. The difference was the patience and confidence holding shape defensively. We never saw that from a JK coached team. Never. There was always at least 2 midfielders completely out of position requiring one of the backline to fill and blow up the entire scheme. Not last night. I was fully expecting it all to implode at some point. It never did. Whether that's actually coaching or players doing what is asked of them by a coach they like.......I have no idea. I'm guessing it's the latter.

Last edited:

I have to say Jonathan Klinsman looked awfully good in the U-20 WC. I think there are options like him out there and I think you will begin to see a few of them phazed in by Bruce.

I agree whole-heartedly. Jonathan look like the real deal in the game against Venezuela I was able to watch recorded. His reaction time is truly amazing and his ability to parry into less dangerous space is impressive. I like where he's at and like what he might become. He'll get his chances.

I agree whole-heartedly. Jonathan look like the real deal in the game against Venezuela I was able to watch recorded. His reaction time is truly amazing and his ability to parry into less dangerous space is impressive. I like where he's at and like what he might become. He'll get his chances.

Yes he did. I saw him play several games and I agree he is the real deal.

He may be the future at goalie. Defiantly has his dad's impressive athletic ability for sure.

Yes he will get a chance without a doubt.

Last edited:
We may have lost if JK was in charge. We don't know the answer to that.

JK did a lot of good things for American soccer. Unfortunately, some never gave the guy a chance. He also made some bad moves, and the results against Mexico and Costa Rica proved it was time to change things up. JK had a way of rubbing people the wrong way, and that was no more obvious than how he treated MLS.

Had JK been coach, and USA eeked out a draw in a Azteca while be dominated in possession, the same people praising Arena as a musician would have been complaining about bunkering down.

I favor Horvath more, but taking Jesse from Mexico would be fantastic. At the very least he would provide nice depth.

We may have lost if JK was in charge. We don't know the answer to that.

JK did a lot of good things for American soccer. Unfortunately, some never gave the guy a chance. He also made some bad moves, and the results against Mexico and Costa Rica proved it was time to change things up. JK had a way of rubbing people the wrong way, and that was no more obvious than how he treated MLS.

Had JK been coach, and USA eeked out a draw in a Azteca while be dominated in possession, the same people praising Arena as a musician would have been complaining about bunkering down.

He took credit for "alot of good things" but not sure he is responsible for any of them.

Sorry, I hear what you're saying, but JK was a freaking disaster.

Like I said before, none of JK's teams could have done what we did against Mexico. None of them. And I hated the way we played that game. I hope we never play that style again. It's not all sunshine and roses for me and I have no love affair with Arena.

Last edited:

He took credit for "alot of good things" but not sure he is responsible for any of them.

Sorry, I hear what you're saying, but JK was a freaking disaster.

Like I said before, none of JK's teams could have done what we did against Mexico. None of them. And I hated the way we played that game. I hope we never play that style again. It's not all sunshine and roses for me and I have no love affair with Arena.
JK's teams did have similar results, even in Mexico.

I'm all for jumping on the Arena train, I just don't see the need to knock JK at every opportunity when he did some good things for US soccer.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back