• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Italy Game Thread

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Game is tomorrow at 12:30 PM CST on ESPN 2, ESPN 3 and Galivision....

A Scouting Report of Italy from ussoccerplayers.com.....

Some highlights:

The Azzurri have been a work-in-progress under coach Cesare Prandelli and feature a mix of veterans and newcomers. Gianluigi Buffon can become the most-capped goalkeeper in team history if he gets any playing time. Buffon is currently tied for third-place all-time with Dino Zoff at 112 caps. Both rank behind defenders Fabio Cannavaro (136) and Paolo Maldini (126).

It has been Prandelli’s focus on youth players over the past 19 months that has helped the Italians reemerge following their World Cup disappointment.

With the exception of Inter Milan’s Giampaolo Pazzini (23 caps and four goals for Italy), Prandelli has called up three other strikers with relatively little experience for the senior team. Sebastian Giovinco (Parma) has six caps and no goals, Alessandro Matri (Juventus) has just four caps and one goal and Fabio Borini (AS Roma), who has scored seven goals this season, is uncapped and got his first call up this past weekend. Prandelli left out an obvious option for an experienced striker, Manchester City's Mario Balotelli. Not completely surprising, since

Prandelli has hinted in the past that he may not utilize him for the Euro ’12.

The Americans will likely field a similar side to the one that beat Slovenia. Eight of the 11 players that started against Slovenia are available to Klinsmann. Midfielder Michael Bradley is the only player on the US roster with Serie A experience, having a standout season with Chievo. Bradley started against Genoa at the Luigi Ferraris stadium earlier this month in a 1-0 Chievo win.

Much more here:

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/ussoccerplayers/2012/02/scouting-report-italy.html#more

Last edited:
Just wish we'd have a full squad for once...but at least it'll give the young'uns a chance to get their feet wet.

6a00e54ef2975b88330167631bf8a1970b-pi

There have been a few new U.S. men's national team jersey leaks making their way around the internet on various online shopping sites, but there has been one in particular that carries some legitimate weight.

The jersey pictured above was listed on the online shop for Nike, the official outfitter of the national team, as the new U.S. away kit before being pulled from the website earlier in the day.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/02/is-this-the-new-usmnt-away-jersey.html

DVR is set.

Lots of US National Team Soccer coming up.

US Women starts play in Portugal's Algarve Cup tomorrow as well. Doesn't look like any coverage. Noon EST.

US U-23 Mens' team (Olympic team) plays Mexico tomorrow night on Univision (9 PM EST)

US Women U-20 playing in Concacaf U-20 World Cup Qualifying this coming weekend. The future stars will be streaming on www.concacaf.com

</NYT_HEADLINE>• This is a game for Michael Bradley. It was no coincidence that the U.S. had its best performance under Klinsmann once Bradley became starter again in November against Slovenia. Bradley has settled in well at Serie A Chievo, and his virtues (smarts, toughness, positioning) will be even more important against a well-organized Italian team. Bradley has gotten the star treatment in Italy ahead of this game, appearing in a full-page spread in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport, where he talked about growing up watching the great AC Milan teams and wanting someday to play for Milan himself. With the spotlight on him in this game, a good performance would help burnish his profile even more in Italy.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20120228/usa-italy-preview/#ixzz1nix3FF7o

See the photo at the link below...:)

Out for about an hour, the sights included the oldest bank in Italy (Banco or Ufficio di San Giorgio, founded in 1407), an old church (Cattedrale di San Lorenzo, seen above), and a pirate ship built in the 17th century (Il Galeone Neptune).

Loads of school kids in the streets came running (literally) in search of autographs, with Clint Dempsey a particular favorite.​

http://www.ussoccer.com/Social/MNT-Blog.aspx

Last edited:

I'll be at work and then church. Maybe watch the replay online later tonight. It's always exciting to play a team like Italy...we'll really see what we're made of, even without Landon, Gooch, etc. My prediction: 1-1 draw, but without all the red cards from the '06 game. :) Howard comes up big several times and we get a couple flashes of imaginative play leading to a goal by Clint. USA!!

[h=3]Wednesday's TV[/h]The United States takes on Italy in Genoa at 2:30pm on ESPN2. You can read our Scouting Report on the latest European test for USA soccer. The Under-23 US National Team plays Mexico at 10pm on Univision.
Fox Soccer has England - Holland at 3pm. Montenegro - Iceland is on ESPN Deportes at 12pm followed by Spain - Venezuela at 3:30pm. Switzerland - Argentina is on GolTV at 2:30pm. Univision has Mexico - Colombia at 8pm. All Times Eastern

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/

A change:

U.S. SOCCER<s>@</s>ussoccer
  • Advisory: Due to a programming change, tonight’s U-23 <s>#</s>USMNT match v. MEX will now be on TeleFutura. Kickoff at the same time: 9 p.m. CT.

• DVR is set.

Lots of US National Team Soccer coming up.

US Women starts play in Portugal's Algarve Cup tomorrow as well. Doesn't look like any coverage. Noon EST.

US U-23 Mens' team (Olympic team) plays Mexico tomorrow night on Univision (9 PM EST)

US Women U-20 playing in Concacaf U-20 World Cup Qualifying this coming weekend. The future stars will be streaming on www.concacaf.com

gonna watch it on ESPN3 today, but since I see all you guys going to DVR it, I will not post any comments about it

COME ON....i want to talk about this match......and then I see you all are DVRing this thing....which forces me to SHUT UP !!!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back