• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT Soccer Check-In: 10 Things We Know

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Interesting article....not sure I agree with everything but something to ponder none the less....for example I disagree with him on Howard....the rest of the highlights are no-brainers that I agree on...Altodore had the best season of his career however, his club side did him no favors not releasing him until 2 weeks into the national team camp.....so I don't totally agree with him on that either....he is 22 and Gomez is 30 and erratic....Oh and we need Stu Holden back as soon as possible to pair up with Bradley in central midfield....

Over-all a solid rundown...

Some Highlights:

Is the current iteration of the team improving under Klinsmann? Not based on the last two qualifiers. It is early, of course, and one should not evaluate an entire program based on its two most recent matches. Still, these are worrying signs.

While Tim Howard is still solid, his instincts and cat-like reflexes seem to be on the wane

The disturbing possibility of a decline in form for Howard is mitigated somewhat by Dempsey’s upward trajectory

The Back Line Needs Reinforcements

At this point it is abundantly clear that Michael Bradley can be effective either in an advanced central midfield position or playing the No. 6 role in front of the back four. But bouncing back and forth between the roles — as he has been asked to do of late — does not help the team or the player develop continuity. Bradley is one of America’s best talents, and it is time for Klinsmann to assign him a primary role.

Altidore will have to lift his game if he wants to reclaim his role as a first-choice forward for his country.

Donovan can be the best player on the field, as he displayed against Scotland, and he can be thoroughly anonymous, as he showed against Brazil, Canada and Guatemala.

The match to keep an eye on is the Sept. 7 qualifier against Jamaica in Kingston. If the United States wins, it will take sole possession of first place in Group A and have a clear path to the next round. If it loses, however, the pressure will mount perceptibly for the return leg in Columbus, Ohio, four days later.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...things-we-know/?smid=tw-nytimesgoal&seid=auto

Last edited:

Oh and we need Stu Holden back as soon as possible to pair up with Bradley in central midfield....

You know I think that dude is one of the best ball strikers on set pieces i have seen in a long time...I hope he gets back soon, i am thinking he really shines this WC

With the other options Klinsman seems to like right now in Jones and Edu he is a HUGE upgrade in talent over them....can do the things you said.... andled the EPL in tackles in the 10-11 season and is a goal scorer....great vision and touchon the ball....so like Bradley an offensive/defensman midfielder....and that is a plus....

You know I think that dude is one of the best ball strikers on set pieces i have seen in a long time...I hope he gets back soon, i am thinking he really shines this WC

Should be ready to go to start the club season...how soon Klinsman calls him in or even considers him is anyone's guess....

It did not help that when he first had the injury the clubs doctor didn't find the tear and he wasted 5 months of rehab....

Liek I said I disagree on that too....I think for this most part he got it right....in this case he got it WAY wrong....one of the top five goalies in the world....the D in front of him has not helped of late...:)

Howard's decline? I'd like to see some stats to back that up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back