• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USAToday Grades Every FBS Team for the 2021 Season

yawn, thanks for posting, but not sure what they based it on. Come on USFL :)

"Don't forget that all report cards are graded on a relative curve. As one example, consider Old Dominion and North Carolina. While both teams finished 6-7, that record at ODU represents a far more successful season than the same at UNC."

"Likewise with South Carolina and Iowa State. For the Gamecocks, going 7-6 in coach Shane Beamer's first season earns an A grade. But for the Cyclones, going from No. 8 in the preseason USA TODAY Sports AFCA Coaches Poll to 7-6 represents a missed opportunity for the program and draws a D+."

I don't care what "relative curve" is used (relative to what?) no way a 2-10 Kansas, in a weak Big XII, should get a C+

7-6 Iowa State gets a D+ because they didn't meet expectations that were set before the season even started? BS.

Why didn't the "relative curve" rate NU higher as we came "relatively" close to being 9-3 instead of 3-9. Should have ranked at least an A!

Article was a waste of bandwidth.

I don't care what "relative curve" is used (relative to what?) no way a 2-10 Kansas, in a weak Big XII, should get a C+

7-6 Iowa State gets a D+ because they didn't meet expectations that were set before the season even started? BS.

Why didn't the "relative curve" rate NU higher as we came "relatively" close to being 9-3 instead of 3-9. Should have ranked at least an A!

Might be because we had the talent to be 9-3 but went 3-9.

The Big 12 isn’t any weaker than the BIG. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State could beat anyone in the BIG not named Ohio State. Iowa State and Kansas State would be a handful for any of the BIG middling teams. You don’t think Texas Tech could beat Iowa? I do.

Might be because we had the talent to be 9-3 but went 3-9.
So Kansas gets a C+ because they went 2-10 with 1-11 talent. I just don't buy it.

I personally would give NU a D too. I just think the "relative curve" is ambiguous and could easily be subjective.

The Big 12 isn’t any weaker than the BIG. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State could beat anyone in the BIG not named Ohio State. Iowa State and Kansas State would be a handful for any of the BIG middling teams. You don’t think Texas Tech could beat Iowa? I do.
Arguable. Not saying you'e wrong, not saying you're right. We'll never know.

So Kansas gets a C+ because they went 2-10 with 1-11 talent. I just don't buy it.

I personally would give NU a D too. I just think the "relative curve" is ambiguous and could easily be subjective.
absolutlely agree that it is ambiguous and subjective. Just not in our case. We did a poor job.

. I would argue top to bottom B1G is much stronger. Bottom dwelling Nebraska almost upset Oklahoma.

. I would argue top to bottom B1G is much stronger. Bottom dwelling Nebraska almost upset Oklahoma.
Yes, and lower tier Texas Tech beat the hell out of Mississippi State. Oklahoma clubbed Oregon, Oklahoma State beat Notre Dame, Baylor drubbed Mississippi, and KSU clobbered LSU. I’d say those teams can play with the BIG. Texas would be a handful for any middling team. Just saying. Kansas State could play with any conferences mid level teams. Same with Iowa State, West Virginia,

College football is filled with subjectivity. The polls themselves are subjective. So yes, any grading is also subjective. I don't think the author would disagree.

I see the grades as generally on-field results relative to talent and expectations.

So a C+ for Kansas suggests slightly above what talent and expectations suggested. Kansas was 0-9 in Les Miles' final season (2020). So while 2-10 in 2021 is still bad, it's an uptick with some moments that provided hope for Leipold and the future of the program.

The D for Nebraska is also reasonable. There's no way 3-9 (and 1-8 in the Big Ten) met anyone's expectations nor was fitting for our talent level. It's still the worst record in Frost's tenure. It would have been an F grade had we not been competitive in our losses.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back