• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USA vs Panama (2013 Gold Cup Final) Game Thread

When it comes to the last 3 or so spots on the roster, you don't necessarily have to pick by position as much as you pick by a role. For instance, you may select someone like Shea, not because of his position, but because of his ability to provide a spark off of the bench in order to score a needed goal. Do not take my excitement for Aron as me saying he will make the squad. I think he can if he gets an early look. I don't think it would take much for him to pass players like Gatt, Boyd, Bruin or Gordon. It would be tougher for him to overtake guys like Wondo and Gomez. Aron has the talent to make it happen, but he would have to get a call up very soon for Brazil to be a realistic possibility.

Wrong. Did you even read the statement you just quoted? I said "you don't necessarily have to pick by position..." That does not say that you have to pick by role over position nor does it imply that you will pick by position. It's quite clear that it's an option, a luxury, for the staff.

In other words, it's quite possible that the final spot will be between two players that don't play the exact same position.

So, in the second post I quoted, you are saying that in the first post, where I bolded, that I read your post wrong? You conveniently left off the rest of the sentence where you say "as much as by role". Yes, it is quite possible that JK won't take 20 mids, or 20 defenders, or 20 forwards, to go along with 3 keepers. But that is not what you said the first time. I do applaud your attempt to deflect my direct quote, however ineffective the deflection attempt was.

Yes, I do read posts I quote, to make sure I read them in their entirety before quoting them. If you we're misquoted, then you should say what you mean from the beginning. That leaves no doubt as to your verbal intent.

i said your words conveyed that you pick by role, which I then refuted with numbers from previous squad selections. You then said I was wrong, yet your post agrees with me in that you don't pick by role, rather by position.

Please re-read my post before saying I am wrong again. You, my fellow soccer enthusiast, are wrong twice on page 9 alone. But, thanks for contributing to the soccer discussion.

You are wrong (still). You want to continue an argument over something so trivial, but my quoted comment did not say what you're trying to twist it to say. Period.

I made it clear that choosing a role player, instead of going strictly by position, is an option. I made several statements that all should be enough to make it clear that I said it was an option, and nothing more. If you want to continue on about how you don't think that's what I said, then by all means continue on.

"You don't necessarily have to pick by position" coupled with words like "may" should have been enough for you.

Last edited:
You are wrong (still). You want to continue an argument over something so trivial, but my quoted comment did not say what you're trying to twist it to say. Period.

I made it clear that choosing a role player, instead of going strictly by position, is an option. I made several statements that all should be enough to make it clear that I said it was an option, and nothing more. If you want to continue on about how you don't think that's what I said, then by all means continue on.

"You don't necessarily have to pick by position" coupled with words like "may" should have been enough for you.

Ok, you win. You are still wrong, but you win. You now want to parse sentences to make yourself look right. Go for it. I was trying to have a discussion. You view this as a competition. Well, I fold, the pot is yours. I am tired of showing you where you were wrong, how wrong you are, and still reading where your reading comprehension and your communication skills are lacking. Therefore, you can claim that you are right & I am wrong.

Good luck in talking to yourself. Then again, you will never be shown & told you are wrong. You should revel in those conversations. Have fun.

It's not about winning, it's about you trying to argue something that's so petty. If someone gives you clarification over a comment you took issue with, accept it and move on. Quit trying to come across as some mind-reader. There was more than enough evidence that should have outlined to you the general point that a coach doesn't necessarily make his last few selections based upon position only.

Back to the topic, Shea has a shot at making Brazil. He has the talent and the ability, he needs to work on his confidence and consistency. The next several months will be huge for him.

Last edited:

It is what it is....hey I've got some great shots from the last Gold Cup that I just sent you 10 by e-mail....had forgotten about them....:)

Ok, you win. You are still wrong, but you win. You now want to parse sentences to make yourself look right. Go for it. I was trying to have a discussion. You view this as a competition. Well, I fold, the pot is yours. I am tired of showing you where you were wrong, how wrong you are, and still reading where your reading comprehension and your communication skills are lacking. Therefore, you can claim that you are right & I am wrong.

Good luck in talking to yourself. Then again, you will never be shown & told you are wrong. You should revel in those conversations. Have fun.

You need to drop by more often we could use your wit and wisdom....:)

Get any good shots at that game? I have about 40 pictures from the 2011 game and I'd be glad to trade with you by e-mail....let me know....

Man, it's like the cafe in these soccer threads..................

I wish I didn't have to work such absurd hours, so that I could be involved in this! Looks like there was a fun "discussion" in the soccer forum tonight...

I skimmed the thread and will give my quick thoughts on some main points that have been discussed (it's late and I don't have the energy to address/say everything I want to) :

1. Brek Shea would be a good change of pace player (when he decides to bring his pace) in Brazil... It come's down to if JK will use up a roster spot on a "situational" player... The guy just needs to get in shape... I've said that a couple of times in this forum... He looked very sluggish for every game in the GC, besides the final... He did fly around and do well v. Panama. Which leads me to ponder what his ceiling is if he gets the amount of PT he did in this tournament, consistently... And his goal has NOTHING to do with why I think he played well v. Panama (mymy father could have scored that one)... He consistently took defenders on, played smart, and delivered another goal my father could have finished, to EJ...

2. Aron Johannson. It's great for the US to "acquire" another young, promising striker... Jozy knows him well from their time in Holland and is high on him... He won't be in Brazil, but the future just got brighter for Aron, and US soccer with his decision.

3. The little tussle HnC and 4evr was fun...

4. Brek was ONSIDE. (as it seems everyone is happily agreeing on now :) )

5. I have some sweet photos from the snow game v. Costa Rica, RR. I'll trade some for your '11 GC pics

Cool....I'll send you my e-mail by PM....send me yours and we can swap....my game was 100 degrees and 100% humidity...:) :)

I wish I didn't have to work such absurd hours, so that I could be involved in this! Looks like there was a fun "discussion" in the soccer forum tonight...

I skimmed the thread and will give my quick thoughts on some main points that have been discussed (it's late and I don't have the energy to address/say everything I want to) :

1. Brek Shea would be a good change of pace player (when he decides to bring his pace) in Brazil... It come's down to if JK will use up a roster spot on a "situational" player... The guy just needs to get in shape... I've said that a couple of times in this forum... He looked very sluggish for every game in the GC, besides the final... He did fly around and do well v. Panama. Which leads me to ponder what his ceiling is if he gets the amount of PT he did in this tournament, consistently... And his goal has NOTHING to do with why I think he played well v. Panama (mymy father could have scored that one)... He consistently took defenders on, played smart, and delivered another goal my father could have finished, to EJ...

2. Aron Johannson. It's great for the US to "acquire" another young, promising striker... Jozy knows him well from their time in Holland and is high on him... He won't be in Brazil, but the future just got brighter for Aron, and US soccer with his decision.

3. The little tussle HnC and 4evr was fun...

4. Brek was ONSIDE. (as it seems everyone is happily agreeing on now :) )

5. I have some sweet photos from the snow game v. Costa Rica, RR. I'll trade some for your '11 GC pics

Aron Johannson is a striker....and has never played a full international game....and his highest level of club play has been in Holland....I don't see him playing any part in the Brazil 2014 team for that reason....

I am not trying to attack you, so please don't read this in that way. Talent is one thing, ability is another, experience trumps them both, and Johannson has none at this level. Without having spent time on the pitch with LD, CD, JA, MB, and others, there is no way Johannson sees the pitch in Brazil.

There's still a long ways to go, but I think Aron's performance against Bosnia was a big step in the right direction. He remains behind the curve to make it to Brazil, but there is certainly a chance for it to happen.

Aron Johannson is a striker....and has never played a full international game....and his highest level of club play has been in Holland....I don't see him playing any part in the Brazil 2014 team for that reason...

I am not trying to attack you, so please don't read this in that way. Talent is one thing, ability is another, experience trumps them both, and Johannson has none at this level. Without having spent time on the pitch with LD, CD, JA, MB, and others, there is no way Johannson sees the pitch in Brazil.

A friendly bump. :usflag:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back