• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USA Today sues NU

If there is nothing to hide…..why hide it? To act like nobody cares when it’s a dark question that so many people are wondering about seems fair. What constitutes improvement by SF and the metrics Trev is using is a 5 million dollar question. I can guarantee you that if they have to reveal it prior to the start of the season it will get a LOT of discussion.

I’m also with USA Today on this one. NU is a public institution, funded in part by taxpayer funds. With that comes transparency requirements. Refusing to disclose information that by law should be made available just heightens curiosity.

If there is nothing to hide…..why hide it? To act like nobody cares when it’s a dark question that so many people are wondering about seems fair. What constitutes improvement by SF and the metrics Trev is using is a 5 million dollar question. I can guarantee you that if they have to reveal it prior to the start of the season it will get a LOT of discussion.
I'm not sure why there is hostility towards the media here. Having governmental agencies promise bonuses in secret, regardless of whether they are based on performance metrics, is not really a good thing IMHO.
Why?

What’s your need to know?

There is no reason on heavenly Earth that you need to know what the performance metrics are. All hiring entities are required to follow certain employment standards. I’m sure a governmental based hiring entity with all the legal, regulatory and disclosure requirements surrounding it … would not do anything illegal or untoward.

There is a lot of good reasons to not disclose including increased pressure including undo media scrutiny on not only the coaching staff but the team as a whole. Could you imagine if winning 7 games was the metric and they enter the last few games needing to achieve that metric? The media frenzy would be insane. Could you imagine some dumbass reporter asking an athlete about having to win this game to allow the coach to keep his job?

Im sure one way or another we will find out the metrics when it is appropriate.

Last edited:
I’m also with USA Today on this one. NU is a public institution, funded in part by taxpayer funds. With that comes transparency requirements. Refusing to disclose information that by law should be made available just heightens curiosity.
The athletic department has zero taxpayer funding supporting its mission.

And this isn’t necessarily information that is required by law.

Last edited:
Can the 2022 season please start sooner rather than later?

star-trek-facepalm-wesly-crusher-worf-riker.gif

I wonder if that is a way around some of the issues facing college athletics. Privatize athletic departments … keep them affiliated maybe even owned by universities but b3 come private entities … allow athletes to organize and strike a deal that balances the work force with the goals and objectives of athletic.

Why?

What’s your need to know?

There is no reason on heavenly Earth that you need to know what the performance metrics are. All hiring entities are required to follow certain employment standards. I’m sure a governmental based hiring entity with all the legal, regulatory and disclosure requirements surrounding it … would not do anything illegal or untoward.

There is a lot of good reasons to not disclose including increased pressure including undo media scrutiny on not only the coaching staff but the team as a whole. Could you imagine if winning 7 games was the metric and they enter the last few games needing to achieve that metric? The media frenzy would be insane. Could you imagine some dumbass reporter asking an athlete about having to win this game to allow the coach to keep his job?

Im sure one way or another we will find out the metrics when it is appropriate.
Need to know? Seriously?

We're not talking about missile plans or satellite photos here.

And I agree that the consequences you list are absolutely possible.

The problem is that this was an official conversation had by two state employees so of course a news org would try to get that info in the process of writing a story. So, absent some exception, USA Today probably will win.

I'm curious if there really were metrics or if that was just creating some wiggle room within the press and the fan base.

Way back in my career I worked for the University as tech. I am sure if somebody would have wanted to they could have gotten my salary. I also had goal documents that I am not sure would have been available, nor would I want them to be. I view these performance metrics as goal docs that should probably be kept private if desired by the coaches. Whether the law agrees with me, I guess we will find out.

The athletic department has zero taxpayer funding supporting its mission.

And this isn’t necessarily information that is required by law.

But they are not a separate entity from NU, so they are still subject to the same laws.

I guess we’ll see whether this information is determined to be disclosed by law.

Some people responding here are acting like we don't know the salaries for Frost and Hoiberg. We do know the salaries. We know bonuses. What we don't know are performance metrics. That's it. And those may not be written in the contract.

Remember what Osborne said after terminating Callahan? He said they met and laid out specific win totals that were needed for him to keep his job. Those weren't disclosed in advance, nor were they written into a contract.

I think that's the case here. The official addendum to Frost's contact is available publicly. The university (and state) should not be bound to provide performance metrics for every employee. Or do you feel that an assistant bookkeeper for the state Board of Geologists with a history of tardiness should have her performance goals published for all to see? We need to know that she'll be formally reprimanded if she's late to work two more times in the next 6 months?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back