• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USA 1 - 2 Mexico

4evrHusker

All Big 10
15 Year Member
Another classic CONCACAF officiated match. El Tri had their chances early & often, enough Americans were whistled for fouls when El Tri dove like Louganis that the US became a little tentative. The second half looked better early for the USA, but they could not capitalize. The last goal was a good one, but the play leading up to that should have seen at least two free kicks against EL Tri that were never called.

The worst part of the match is that the US came out confused and lost at times. Again JK had players out of position that led up to the first goal. Then, and only then, they switched from an unnecessary 3-5-2 to a better fitting 4-4-2 formation.

The road to Russia just got harder for the Red, White & Blue.

Had some chances in the second half and went through a stretch where we seemed to have Mexico on the ropes; just couldn't get the ball into the goal. First half and the last part of the second half seemed to have poor footwork (particularly Fabian Johnson), give away passes, and just bombing the ball down the field.

I actually thought the officiating was very good tonight. It was discussed in length during the post game show (on FS-2) from the officiating expert to the panel of four and all thought the ref did an overall good job. The USA got some gift non-calls too (i.e. Jones in half one). I thought all in all it evened out on the few bad calls that happened.

USA played a woeful first half much in part due to the 3-5-2 formation that appeared and later was confirmed was a surprise to the players. Bradley in the post game was careful with his words but pretty much said it was a disaster. Mexico could have scored 3 to 4 goals in half one. Credit for adjusting to a 4-4-2 in the second half where the USA played much better only to take a punch to the gut with the late goal by Marquez on a set piece which was poorly defended and marked. To lose a game on a play like that there are no excuses.

I agree the whole first half and the last 10-15 minutes of the second half Mexico controlled the game and dominated most of the first half. Osorio out-coached Klinsman badly in the first half and the latter part of the second half. He turned the tables on us and played a high pressure game much like El Tri usually does to the Americans.

Can not understate what a physiological blow this was for the USA losing in Columbus. You could see it on the faces of the players at games end and after the game. This is a city and stadium that has been good to the Americans and a nightmare to Mexico. That hex ended tonight.

Tuesday in Costa Rica is almost a must win. Starting on zero points for the opening two games would be a disaster. The USA has never won a WCQ in Costa Rica making the task that much tougher.

Losing Howard is a big blow too and Guzan has played little this season in the EPL.

Last edited:

One thing, 3-5-2...WHAT THE...I have never seen it, we seemed ill prepped for it, Mexico took advantage and could have scored 3 goals. I do not think we would have changed had Howard not went down, because that was when we changed. If we had went 4-4-2 we win this game, or at least tied.
Also, the last 10-15min, our front 3 kept attacking, while the midfield dropped back and were playing basically right with the defense leaving Mexico to control the pace of play in our end.

Oh man, do I have some things that need said after watching that match. But I'm heading to daughter's soccer now.

Last edited:

I haven't read any posts in the thread yet, but one thing I will say before I go is:

We sat in a 3-5-2 for something like 33 minutes and Mexico was SHREDDING us. Mexico, according to Stu, saw what the US was in and changed positions within the first 2 minutes to start the game.

30+ minutes of looking lost and confused. And not just in midfield, but across the back as well.

Oh, and one other thing. We have fullbacks who play in world class leagues. Please don't tell me Besler outplays them in practice at that position. Because Besler looked freaking outclassed ALL night.

I haven't read any posts in the thread yet, but one thing I will say before I go is:

We sat in a 3-5-2 for something like 33 minutes and Mexico was SHREDDING us. Mexico, according to Stu, saw what the US was in and changed positions within the first 2 minutes to start the game.

30+ minutes of looking lost and confused. And not just in midfield, but across the back as well.

Oh, and one other thing. We have fullbacks who play in world class leagues. Please don't tell me Besler outplays them in practice at that position. Because Besler looked freaking outclassed ALL night.

When you finally do read the posts you will see we all agree with you. :) :)

Also once again riverting back to playing individuals out of position. We agree with you on that too.

Also the head coach not excepting blame for the first half fiasco and placing the blame on Jones and Bradley for not adjusting to a system that was clearly not working.

Interestingly though the change to 4-4-2 only came about when Howard when down with his injury and Jones and Bradley went to the sideline and bent the head coaches ear that is was not working. Bradley in very careful wording said as much after the game that it was not working. I think had Howard not got hurt we would have stay in 3-5-2 until at least half time.

Had El Tri not the hit the post twice it would have been 3-0 at half time.

Yup El Tri went high pressure on us (i.e. Holden) and it worked. They turned the tables on us which is normally what we do to them.

OK, so there's soooo much to discuss regarding this game, I think the best way to break it down is coaching vs. players. And both are to blame. Because that game should have been 4-1 or something close to it.

Coaching. You guys said it all. Everyone on twitter said it all. Klinsman played a 3-5-2 with a group of players not suited to playing it, and ill-prepared to play it. Especially against the best Mexico squad assembled in years. If you are going to play a 3-man backline, you must have a fast midfield. I mean elite fast. If not, they better Pirlo quality to keep up with the pace of play. Bradley is NOT that player. Jones doesn't play well with others. We'll get to that in a moment. That's a disaster right there. Both your holding midfielders can't play that system. It was evident very early, and JK stubbornly kept with it. That's why he sucks. It can't get anymore clear to ANYONE who knows a lick about soccer. Any apologist out there is a maroon and would be dead wrong. Any manager, after watching the first 20 minutes alone, gets out of that formation ASAP.

Players. Let's just break it down individually.

1. Bradley. I'll start here because his last 2.5 years in all competitions have showed a swift decline. When put in the proper system, he's still a good player. But, simply, he can't defend 1V1 anymore. He's actually quite good playing in space and anticipating, somehting he is allowed to do with a 4 defenders behind him. But he needs a quality 1V1 central player next to him to really shine. And, let me tell you right now, Jones is exactly NOT that player. Bradley gives the ball away much too easily these days. Part of me thinks his passing ability is significantly higher than his teammates' ability to use that ability. But then I see some of his giveaways last night and I have my doubts.

2. Jones. Here is another absolute. Jones does not link up well with teammates. He doesn't move the ball around. He misses open through balls, probably never even sees them. He refuses to make the easy quick touch pass to get the ball out of trouble and insists on beating a man with speed first and only then trying to find a teammate. That is such a disaster with a 3-man backline for so many reasons. His success in any match is dependent on everything noted above. If teams come with high pressure against us, he's a complete liability. An utter liability. If given room to move in space, he's good. He can scare defenses with direct speed, making wonderful central runs. If playing in close-quarters, he can't function.

3. Altidore. A step too late. That's the story. His ability to recognize the right run, the right pass, the right direction, to take a shot......it's all a step too late against better players. We saw it all night. Mexico defenders, on several occasions in the box, saw a lane Jozy could take that would free him, recognized it, and stepped in front. Jozy saw these lanes, but couldn't recognize and react fast enough. And really, I think that sums up his play. That, and his below average first touch, which doesn't help.

4. Wood, Pulisic. People talk all the time about whether the US missed out on it's Golden Generation. Now, we're not talking Belgium generation here, but it's a talking point none the less. Wood and Pulisic are the most promising players we've had in awhile. Both are attacking on a level few Americans have done previously. They both hold well, both play with speed and precision, both control the ball extremely well, both can play with others well. If these guys represent the future of USSoccer, then we never had a golden generation yet. These two are the type of players, if surrounded by 5-7 others of similar skills, would represent that generation. We have a central defender with Tot right now, Carter-Vickers that needs capped. NEEDS capped ASAP. Yedlin counts. Green counts as he's finally improving. Morris counts. Hyndman counts. Miazga probably counts. That's a hell of a future. These are the guys we need to play together to form the nucleus moving forward. For me, that group of players is MORE talented than that referred to as our supposed Golden Generation.

That's about enough for today. If the first half represented all that is wrong with the USMNT, the 2nd half showed what we should be. And like posed in the above paragraph, I think we can be so much more in short order. Time will tell if JK can do anything with that talent.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back