• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Urban Meyer Poll

Urban Meyer will ______ as a HC in the NFL

• Go to the Superbowl (Great Success!)

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Be fired in < 5 years (He will suck...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Be mediocre but ultimately successful enough to stay >5 years

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Be mediocre but not highly successful and “retire” again <5 yea

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I think he'll have to greatly enhance his approach, he's no longer "providing opportunities", now he's juggling egos. If stress was his kryptonite the NFL is full of it, don't see him tip toeing through this very successfully.

UM was convinced he could be successful or he wouldn't have taken the job imo. Money is great but he has plenty of that already. Bottom line I think he'll be very successful building a very good team.

I've never been a fan of Urban but I've heard him speak and talk coaching and he was really impressive. I think he can be successful in the NFL. It might depend more on his owner and GM being willing to fork out money for talent.

I've never been a fan of Urban but I've heard him speak and talk coaching and he was really impressive. I think he can be successful in the NFL. It might depend more on his owner and GM being willing to fork out money for talent.

a lot of variables for sure, especially at that level of personnel decisions. You have some Jerry Jones’/ Al Davis types that either hit a homerun or screw up for decades. You have the Bellicheck model where the coach is great at finding the pieces, flip side is Bill OBrien who couldnt handle the GM side

I voted for the >5 years option. Not because i think he will light it up, college is a lot different, but I think he is good enough to end up a winner..

The number one key to winning in the NFL is a franchise quarterback. Trevor Lawrence is as slam dunk as a #1 overall pick will ever be. And he will have weapons to work with on offense -- both at RB and WR.

It's not a bad situation for Urban to walk into.

Spurrier, Saban (yeah Saban), Chip Kelly, could dig up several other really good college coaches that washed out in the NFL. It's a different deal. Can't see a guy that has stress related health issues making a strong go at it.

He will "retire" after two years of mediocre results, only to come to UNL shortly thereafter to win National titles with three different teams. This is the only way he tops Saban and would make him the all time greatest. Maybe? I pull for our current coaches, but sometimes reality starts kicking in based on results or several years of the same results/excuses.

He will "retire" after two years of mediocre results, only to come to UNL shortly thereafter to win National titles with three different teams. This is the only way he tops Saban and would make him the all time greatest. Maybe? I pull for our current coaches, but sometimes reality starts kicking in based on results or several years of the same results/excuses.

I still hope Frost can turn around, therefore I hope your wrong. But I'd take the results!

Guess I'm a glass half full and empty guy.

Spurrier, Saban (yeah Saban), Chip Kelly, could dig up several other really good college coaches that washed out in the NFL. It's a different deal. Can't see a guy that has stress related health issues making a strong go at it.

There's definitely more misses than hits when it comes to college coaches trying to transition to the NFL.

Spurrier was the biggest flop of the three you listed. Two losing seasons then gone from the Redskins. Granted, he was relying on Shane Matthews and Patrick Ramsey at QB. I contend that most coaches won't do well minus a stud franchise QB. Pete Carroll is a fine example.

Carroll was 7-9 in his first two seasons with Seattle. But the 3rd season saw Russell Wilson being drafted by the Seahawks, named starter right off the bat -- 11-5 first season for Wilson (3rd for PC) -- haven't looked back since, winning season every year.

Saban also was hindered with mediocre QBs. An aging Gus Frerrotte in his first season -- but still went 9-7, huge improvement from the 4-12 season the year prior to Saban. Next season, however, 6-10 with Lions castoff Joey Harrington. Still Saban walked on his own after those two seasons.

Chip Kelly did fine to start. 10-6 with the Eagles in his first season. Nick Foles had an incredible year. But in year two, Foles got hurt midseason and Mark Sanchez took over -- and the team sucked! 3rd season, Chip Kelly decided to clean house, releasing several fan favorite players, such as LeSean McCoy, Foles, Trent Cole, and Jeremy Maclin -- basically their #1 QB, #1 RB, #1 WR, and #1 DL. Kelly had this grand vision that was a total failure -- Philly fans couldn't wait to see him leave.

I give Urban more of a chance than most -- because at least he'll have to chance to start with a potential franchise QB (it's pretty much assumed Lawrence will be drafted #1). If Trevor Lawrence is a star (like Russell Wilson in Seattle), Urban has a much better chance of being successful in Jacksonville. So much of winning in the NFL hinges on a star QB.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back