• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Upland Bird Hunting

Yep, and so far I'd put the good folks-to-jack@$$ery ratio at about 6-1, which isn't bad. One D-wad threw a a 10 oz. bag of Old Trapper jerky across the counter at a petite cashier when he found out it costs $13 ... which is a very average to decent price anywhere I've been. Another ordered a pizza, but then left without paying for it because he had to prepay for his gas instead of filling his tank first. Others were kind, giddy, and leaving tips. It's a diverse group as far as personalities.
It really doesn't take that much effort to be kind and respectful to people. How it escapes some people I'll never understand.

Was out cutting cedars about 25 miles southeast of Lincoln yesterday, and my dog busted a 12-14 bird covey. That got the juices flowing! On the downside, have seen one solitary pheasant all year despite spending a fair amount of time in the country.

Fwiw, the attitudes of the hunters has been much better from Saturday onward. I had a lot of fun when i was behind the till, today, because everyone was in a good mood. The overall number of hunters seems to be down, so far, but not by a lot.

Last edited:

Just got back from a South Dakota pheasant hunt. All I can say is God Bless South Dakota!

Got to shoot some partridges also. (In my case it was shoot at some partridges.) :) The owner of the place said they had partridges there when he grew up so he is hoping they can be reestablished. I'll believe that when I see it, but they were pretty fun to hunt with a quality pointer. We used flushers on the pheasants, and gave those dogs a rest to chase the huns.

We got my dog cleaned up yesterday and I think she slept 20 hours! Glorious trip. Pricey, but worth it.

Last edited:

Anyone hunting pheasants in NW Kansas this weekend? I'll be out there for opening weekend.

Spent many a day in the fields in Rawlins and Decatur counties over the years. I won't make it back again this year, but I have to next.

I'm guessing I don't have too many more Pheasant Seasons to miss before I'm the old guy blocking instead of walking the fields.

Spent many a day in the fields in Rawlins and Decatur counties over the years. I won't make it back again this year, but I have to next.

I'm guessing I don't have too many more Pheasant Seasons to miss before I'm the old guy blocking instead of walking the fields.
I have a friend from Denver who sold his construction company about 4 years ago, bought an old farmstead south of Haigler, NE and NW of St. Francis, KS. He converted an old grainery into a 6 bedroom lodge. Nothing fancy but very comfortable. I've never seen so many pheasants in my life. Kansas has a lot of walk in hunting and my friend has made friends with the local farmers so we have lots of land to hunt.

Glad I brought my dog to South Dakota, so I had an excuse not to be a blocker. Very thankful to still be going strong at nearly 61. Our guide said he was impressed with our group of old guys. "You're in the best shape of any group this year. Can't shoot worth a damn, but you're in shape."

I have a friend from Denver who sold his construction company about 4 years ago, bought an old farmstead south of Haigler, NE and NW of St. Francis, KS. He converted an old grainery into a 6 bedroom lodge. Nothing fancy but very comfortable. I've never seen so many pheasants in my life. Kansas has a lot of walk in hunting and my friend has made friends with the local farmers so we have lots of land to hunt.

I hunted everything from St. Francis to Phillipsburg and always on WMA land. Had many a limit filling day in Western Kansas and wish I could go this year. If you're OK with walking and doing a little research, it's the place to be.

I took today off to go pheasant hunting. I don't get to go very often anymore. I don't have a hunting dog anymore either. I didn't care, just wanted to get out. I went down to a couple of WMA's around Tecumseh not expecting much. I pull up and this guy older than me is by himself as well, but he's got a dog. He's getting his gun loaded and the dog is already 50 yards out flushing a bird. I chuckle and said to him, "Looks like your dog got out ahead of you". He smiles, says "yep" and starts chasing after the dog. He gets no more than 60 yards and drops a rooster. He keeps following the dog through this thicket that runs through the field. I load up and head a different direction so as not to interfere with him. I'm walking the edge of planted pines and kicking up a couple, but they go through the pines so I can't get a shot. Saw the guy about 20 minutes later and we chat for a second. He already has 2 birds and asks if I'm alone. I told him yes and he says, hunt with me and we'll get you some birds. Well long story short, we both limited out, I had fun hunting behind a dog again and we exchanged names and he'll give me a call when he goes back out again. Says he's retired and hunts about once a week. It was funny cause we live about 5 miles away from each other. Nebraska nice is alive and well.

I took today off to go pheasant hunting. I don't get to go very often anymore. I don't have a hunting dog anymore either. I didn't care, just wanted to get out. I went down to a couple of WMA's around Tecumseh not expecting much. I pull up and this guy older than me is by himself as well, but he's got a dog. He's getting his gun loaded and the dog is already 50 yards out flushing a bird. I chuckle and said to him, "Looks like your dog got out ahead of you". He smiles, says "yep" and starts chasing after the dog. He gets no more than 60 yards and drops a rooster. He keeps following the dog through this thicket that runs through the field. I load up and head a different direction so as not to interfere with him. I'm walking the edge of planted pines and kicking up a couple, but they go through the pines so I can't get a shot. Saw the guy about 20 minutes later and we chat for a second. He already has 2 birds and asks if I'm alone. I told him yes and he says, hunt with me and we'll get you some birds. Well long story short, we both limited out, I had fun hunting behind a dog again and we exchanged names and he'll give me a call when he goes back out again. Says he's retired and hunts about once a week. It was funny cause we live about 5 miles away from each other. Nebraska nice is alive and well.

Were you hunting Twin Oaks and/or Hickory Ridge? Am considering hunting them in the mornin, but sound like there will be 6 birds less! . It’s all about the dog, right?

Were you hunting Twin Oaks and/or Hickory Ridge? Am considering hunting them in the mornin, but sound like there will be 6 birds less! . It’s all about the dog, right?
Both. Twin Oaks had nothing when I went there. Hickory Ridge is where we hit the jackpot. Come to find out NGPC released birds at both locations today. They're young birds, but it was fun anyway. HR looks like it was grazed all summer by cattle. The CRP is short and sparse.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back