• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

UNL Christmas Tree Theft

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
This isn't really football, but it's UNL and pretty hilarious!

To combat the theft of trees around Christmas time, University of Nebraska-Lincoln used to spray their trees with fox urine. It freezes and has no odor outside, but thaws if taken indoors. The resultant smell is so rancid it is “eye-watering”.

I have a fox in neighborhood, definitely a stinky Lil guy. He must pee in my bushes cuz I can always smell when he's been by

It might be far from a UNL thing, but it's definitely a Midwest thing. The winters here aren't cold enough to permanently freeze fox piss. It would just melt off naturally as most of our winter days reach over 32F.

I am curious how you came across this article, Ducktown. I see it's from 2015. Interestingly, the article is discussing a DN article from 2003. Also interesting, I know when I was a UNL student (late-80s to early-90s), we were told the same. Don't attempt to cut down a UNL tree for Christmas -- or your dorm/frat house/apartment will smell like fox urine. Odds are, UNL was doing that before I was there.

I guess this news lingers much in the same way fox urine does. :Biggrin:

I am curious how you came across this article, Ducktown. I see it's from 2015. Interestingly, the article is discussing a DN article from 2003. Also interesting, I know when I was a UNL student (late-80s to early-90s), we were told the same. Don't attempt to cut down a UNL tree for Christmas -- or your dorm/frat house/apartment will smell like fox urine. Odds are, UNL was doing that before I was there.

I guess this news lingers much in the same way fox urine does. :Biggrin:

Reddit.

Wasn't even browsing UNL or football. Someone posted it randomly and I saw it was UNL. And yes, I noticed the date. Maybe someome gave Steve Pedersen a Fox Pee Tree.

...I LOVE protecting our trees, and I LOVE taking care of our gardens and lawns on campus!!! BEST JOB I EVER HAD!!! ...(and I've had numerous, world-wide).....:Banana:

...also, nice perks!...:cool:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back