• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Under center vs shot gun

Neither of those teams will ever win a National Championship running it like they do. Neither has a threat of the QB run game, nor, do they foster any option game. There is no point playing a game, if at some point, you can’t win the whole thing. Neither of them will ever sniff one the way they are currently set up.
Do not disagree. However when Wiscy had Wilson. They came closer than any West team Has in qhite a while.

Mostly, frankly, because so many think it’s not sexy, or/and, doesn’t get QB’s and WR’s to the next level. I think it’s a thing of beauty, and a devastating offense that eats clock and allows the defense to mostly, be at its best. Toms offense, with those athletes he had, would just kill people today, and personally, I have zero doubt in that.
Tom had a few of the best teams ever and is one of the best coaches of all time. But times are different. Nebraska was well ahead of the curve from the strength and conditioning perspective and that gave them a tremendous advantage over most of the nation. And kudos to them for being at the forefront. That is not the case today. Different era. Different technologies.

Would they be successful? Yes absolutely. To what level, I personally don't know

Last edited:
I would just like to see us execute an offense consistently well. I think most of would have been very happy with the style of offense over the last 4 years had there been any consistency of execution.

I don't blame Frost's style of offense for its lackluster results. It was coaches and players.
100%

Do not disagree. However when Wiscy had Wilson. They came closer than any West team Has in qhite a while.
I suppose they did, but they still didn’t really run him like they should have. He did some damage on broken scrambles. If they’d have had at least some more QB run, mixed some option game with that, they might have had a shot at one.

I suppose they did, but they still didn’t really run him like they should have. He did some damage on broken scrambles. If they’d have had at least some more QB run, mixed some option game with that, they might have had a shot at one.
Probably true that guy had wheels.

Tom had a few of the best teams ever and is one of the best coaches of all time. But times are different. Nebraska was well ahead of the curve from the strength and conditioning perspective and that gave them a tremendous advantage over most of the nation. And kudos to them for being at the forefront. That is not the case today. Different era. Different technologies.

Would they be successful? Yes absolutely. To what level, I personally don't know
If they were still a physical team, it wouldn’t be an issue. Remember, back then, most of the best teams were all physically strong. Teams of today are mostly, stress mostly, finesse type teams. They wouldn’t stand up to the pounding they’d receive.

A perfect example is Scott Frost. He saw what the Osborne offense did for him and yet he hangs his hat on Chip Kelly's methodologies.

But like you, I long for the days of punishing a team up front. Then again most years all I have to do is watch a Wisconsin game
Spot on:

Scott frost’s first love was not Tom’s offense. He only reverted back to it because Stanford viewed him as a safety. We all had high hopes of the home boy returning home and unleashing Osborne’s offense back onto the college football landscape… unfortunately a run of dominance and a national title was not enough for Scott to forget about his first love which was bill walsh (Stanford) and the resemblances of it he gravitated to with chip Kelly (Oregon)

That’s being soft as hell

Last edited:

Spot on:

Scott frost’s first love was not Tom’s offense. He only reverted back to it because Stanford viewed him as a safety. We all had high hopes of the home boy returning home and unleashing Osborne’s offense back onto the college football landscape… unfortunately a run of dominance and a national title was not enough for Scott to forget about his first love which was bill walsh (Stanford) and the resemblances of it he gravitated to with chip Kelly (Oregon)

That’s being soft as hell

Chip Kelly's offense is closer to Osborne's offense than it is to Bill Walsh's offense.

The most successful college coach in the past couple decades with the most talent year over year moved to a spread offense several years ago and consistently has a strong running game out of the shotgun.

With the talent Saban pulls in, he could run any offense he wanted and be as (or more) successful than Wisconsin or Iowa, yet he felt the spread gave him the best chance for NCs.
I still believe in "run the ball and stop the run", but running alone doesn't guarantee success at the highest level.

Either type can be successful. Have an identity and execute well. The question is how do you define "success"? We look at Wisconsin and can call that success. Many here are just hoping for 6-6. I doubt Alabama fans of today (or most of us in 1997) would be happy with Wisconsin's level of "success".

Saban could run any offense (at Alabama/LSU) he wanted in the hotbed of the south. His success was much closer to mediocre at MSU than what he’s been able to do in the sec when he was not allotted first pick of talent…. Same goes for his stay in Miami.

Nebraska’s perspective is much closer to a Michigan st, Iowa or Wisconsin. Getting quality play from QB IS essential to throwing the ball around the yard. Steve spurrier can attest to that going from Florida to Washington and then to his much more run centric teams at USC. Just because someone has success at something doesn’t mean another in different circumstances will. The guy driving the Maserati can grab a chicks ass and take her home the guy driving a Hyundai will be thrown in jail for sexual-harassment.

There is a reason that Iowa and Wisconsin chose the offenses they do to beat our buts year after year, and it’s not because Alabama can recruit to the spread at any and every position possible. It’s because they can’t and neither can we….

#runthedamnball

Actually Chips offense was based on Meyers offense at Utah. Meyer is on record saying most of his running concepts were based on TOs. Blocking schemes etc.

i won't disagree that chip has taken things from meyers, or that meyers has taken things from tom. and of course, its well documented that scott has taken lessons from chip... so how the hell come frost's offense has no resemblance to toms?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back