• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ultimate Music Thread

My tribute to The Cars. They were my very first favorite band. In the 1981-85 period, there is no band I cranked more. When I got my D.L. and first car -- it was The Cars cranking endlessly.

They are very few songs of theirs I don't like. And plenty of the less mainstream tunes that are as good or better than their hits.

By the way, that's an altered Candy-O album cover -- lame! I love that album cover -- especially back when I was entering my teen years. ;)

I used to get "It's All I can do" stuck in my head, singing it over and over -- driving one of my best buddies crazy. Ben Orr has the main vocals in this tune, as he did with many/most of their early stuff.

Last edited:
My tribute to The Cars. They were my very first favorite band. In the 1981-85 period, there is no band I cranked more. When I got my D.L. and first car -- it was The Cars cranking endlessly.

They are very few songs of theirs I don't like. And plenty of the less mainstream tunes that are as good or better than their hits.

By the way, that's an altered Candy-O album cover -- lame! I love that album cover -- especially back when I was entering my teen years. ;)

I used to get "It's All I can do" stuck in my head, singing it over and over -- driving one of my best buddies crazy.

They were one of the first bands I remember liking, too. Simple catchy melodies, hooks all over the place; one of the all time great pop bands.

They were one of the first bands I remember liking, too. Simple catchy melodies, hooks all over the place; one of the all time great pop bands.

They had a coolness factor, IMO. Not hugely popular/mainstream ... kinda teetered on the edge, as MTV pushed their material hard and brought them into the mainstream. I specifically remember when MTV named "You Might Think" for the network's first ever Video of the Year in the MTV Music Awards. Anyhow, The Cars broke up and left me before they became too mainstream and I left them. I like how that worked out.

My music evolution (well, after I graduated from listening to my mom's record collection, Beach Boys being my favorite) was The Cars -- overlapped by Talking Heads and English Beat ... early into the start of the mid 80s ... then REM, The Smiths, and Mighty Lemondrops as I moved more squarely into the mid 80s ... then exploded into all sorts of alternative bands, imports, bootlegs ... as '85 transition to '86.

Well, you know most of this ... I just like living in the past sometimes.

Last edited:
They had a coolness factor, IMO. Not hugely popular/mainstream ... kinda teetered on the edge, as MTV pushed their material hard and brought them into the mainstream. I specifically remember when MTV named "You Might Think" for the network's first ever Video of the Year in the MTV Music Awards. Anyhow, The Cars broke up and left me before they became too mainstream and I left them. I like how that worked out.

My music evolution (well, after I graduated from listening to my mom's record collection, Beach Boys being my favorite) was The Cars -- overlapped by Talking Heads and English Beat ... early into the start of the mid 80s ... then REM, The Smiths, and Mighty Lemondrops as I moved more squarely into the mid 80s ... then exploded into all sorts of alternative bands, imports, bootlegs ... as '85 transition to '86.

Well, you know most of this ... I just like living in the past sometimes.
Yes! I liked the Cars because of MTV and, specifically, You Might Think. When I think of the Cars, I still think of Ocasek buzzing around like a fly. I had no deep musical understanding at the time. I thought the video was funny and the song was catchy. They were kind of on the ground floor with cool music videos.

Yes! I liked the Cars because of MTV and, specifically, You Might Think. When I think of the Cars, I still think of Ocasek buzzing around like a fly. I had no deep musical understanding at the time. I thought the video was funny and the song was catchy. They were kind of on the ground floor with cool music videos.

And the girl in that video was hot. lol. I had never seen a video anywhere close to that when it came out. Truly groundbreaking. Soon after, the video for Magic, which had Ric Ocasek walking on water in a swimming pool. I remember MTV doing a "making of the video" show on that.

Ocasek married Paulina Porizkova in 1989. I remember seeing this as proof that a rock star could get anyone. There were few goofier looking than Ric Ocasek -- yet he and Paulina (the first Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover girl from Central Europe) were married for 28 years. They apparently split not long ago -- but she was one who found him dead over the weekend. A rock star and a super model get married -- what are the odds of that lasting 28 years!?!? Miniscule.

The afternoon studio host on KUTX (Austin public radio) always sneaks in a couple Cars tunes each week into her playlists. I'm certain she plays this more than any other:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back