• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ultimate Music Thread

Austin lost another troubled soul -- yet musical genius. Earlier this year, Roky Erickson. This week we mourn the loss of Daniel Johnston.

If you don't know who Daniel Johnston was, I'd encourage a bit of research.

Many learned of Daniel's existence in the 90s, as Kurt Cobain was frequently spotted wearing a t-shirt with the likeness of his most famous art work, a mural painted in Austin near the UT campus (it's still there today). Hi, How are you. I own this shirt as well. Cobain was a great admirer of Johnston -- as are many in the music industry. I found this little gem, as Flaming Lips performed a tribute just last night, Daniel Johnston's best-known song.

Here's a favorite of mine:

I will go to visit Daniel's mural today.

Last edited:

Austin lost another troubled soul -- yet musical genius. Earlier this year, Roky Erickson. This week we mourn the loss of Daniel Johnston.

If you don't know who Daniel Johnston was, I'd encourage a bit of research.

View attachment 29265

Many learned of Daniel's existence in the 90s, as Kurt Cobain was frequently spotted wearing a t-shirt with the likeness of his most famous art work, a mural painted in Austin near the UT campus (it's still there today). Hi, How are you. I own this shirt as well. Cobain was a great admirer of Johnston -- as are many in the music industry. I found this little gem, as Flaming Lips performed a tribute just last night, Daniel Johnston's best-known song.

Here's a favorite of mine:

I will go to visit Daniel's mural today.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston is a pretty cool documentary. I’m sure you’ve seen it.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston is a pretty cool documentary. I’m sure you’ve seen it.

I have -- though quite a while ago now (when I was fairly new to Austin). I should watch it again, as I feel I've learned quite a bit more about him since. Daniel Johnston was a unique human being.

I heard The National performed a couple of his tunes earlier this week at one of their shows. I'm sure there's been (or will be) others. Austin formed an annual Daniel Johnston music festival a couple years ago -- raising money for mental health awareness. Johnston performed at the first one (along with several other bands -- some local and a couple national). Something tells me the festival will go on for at least another year (and maybe much longer).

This is a pretty good article I ran across: https://www.spin.com/2019/09/remembering-daniel-johnston-death/

I made it over to his famous mural by campus yesterday. Extremely heartwarming reading all of the letters and notes left there ... and plenty of flowers ... some candles ... trinkets ... and apparently Daniel loved Mountain Dew -- because there was a lot of that! A continual stream of admirers walked by his mural, stopping to take photos and read some of the letters.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back