• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ultimate Music Thread

It’s funny because I live both the original Irish folk song version of ‘Whiskey in the jar’ and the Metallica and Thin Lizzy covers.
It's a great song. The lyrics flow off the tongue and the melody kills. There are several versions I dig but, yeah, it feels like it was made for Phil Lynott to sing. Speaking of great Irish songs....

Shane MacGowan catches a lot of flak for being a lush but this song is beautiful and timeless, a modern classic.

It's a great song. The lyrics flow off the tongue and the melody kills. There are several versions I dig but, yeah, it feels like it was made for Phil Lynott to sing. Speaking of great Irish songs....

Shane MacGowan catches a lot of flak for being a lush but this song is beautiful and timeless, a modern classic.

Yup...Phil Lynott was a tortured genius whose addictions got the best of him in the end. I am not a fan of Metallica so that oen went past me.

Speaking of great Irish singers. His son has down syndrome.

The original lady of blues

I never knew the story behind this song. This was recorded in 1929. Good stuff.
"When the Levee Breaks" is a country blues song written and first recorded by Kansas Joe McCoy and Memphis Minnie in 1929. The lyrics reflect experiences during the upheaval caused by the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927. ...
McCoy and Minnie recorded "When the Levee Breaks" during their first session for Columbia Records in New York City on June 18, 1929.[1] The song features McCoy on vocals and rhythm guitar.[5] Minnie, the more accomplished guitarist of the two, provided the embellishments using a finger picked-style in a Spanish or open G tuning.[6] Music journalist Charles Shaar Murray identifies Joe McCoy as the actual songwriter.[1] However, as with all their Columbia releases, regardless of who sang the song, the record labels list the artist as "Kansas Joe and Memphis Minnie".[7]
Columbia issued the song on the then-standard 78 rpm phonograph record, with "That Will Be Alright", another vocal performance by McCoy, on the flip-side in August or June 1929.[7] The record was released before record industry publications, such as Billboard began tracking so-called race records, but it has been called a moderate hit.[8] "When the Levee Breaks" is included on several Memphis Minnie compilation albums and blues roots albums featuring various artists.[9]

Last edited:
Yup...Phil Lynott was a tortured genius whose addictions got the best of him in the end. I am not a fan of Metallica so that oen went past me.

Speaking of great Irish singers. His son has down syndrome.

Song would be fantastic with some pedal steel

Song would be fantastic with some pedal steel

Or lap steel. Cormac is a really good guy. Regular band is The Answer who play rollicking hard blusey rock. Although on their last album they started to move more towards a country-blues/ Irish folk
/ rock fusion.

Here are a couple of songs from Solas the newst record I talked about

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back