• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ultimate Music Thread

RIP to a true legend and native Austinite -- Roky Erickson -- who passed away today at the age of 71. I was fortunate to have seen him perform here in Austin. 13th Floor Elevators were the very first band to label themselves as psychedelic rock -- they truly coined the term for the genre.

Since this song both intrigued me, and aggravated me, I figured that I would share my consternation(not to be confused with constipation) so here ya go.

Last edited:

RIP to a true legend and native Austinite -- Roky Erickson -- who passed away today at the age of 71. I was fortunate to have seen him perform here in Austin. 13th Floor Elevators were the very first band to label themselves as psychedelic rock -- they truly coined the term for the genre.

I went to see The Lemonheads perform Friday night. Evan Dando (lead) started the set by playing "You're Gonna Miss Me." Very cool and a bit emotional. Dando didn't need to say anything before or after performing the tune. Every single person in attendance understood. There's a push to have a statue of Roky erected here in Austin -- and that needs to happen.

You could make an argument that Roky lived the most tragic of lives a musician could live. And it may very well have made his music greater -- while also preventing him from gaining the fame he was worthy of. A truly tortured soul that fought demons his entire adult life. The downward spiral started when Austin police caught him in possession of marijuana at the age of 22 -- and placed him in a mental ward as punishment. There Roky underwent shock therapy. Later in life he was diagnosed with schizophrenia, avoided drugs to treat it, instead heavily abusing cocaine, LSD, and likely others. He'd live in a house with all of his TVs and radios turned on full volume in order to drown out the voices in his head.

A very good story about the life of Roky Erickson:

Roky will likely be the type of musician that is increasingly discovered and respected in his death. There's a very large catalog of incredible music.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back