• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

UCLA NEXT COACH - Tony White? - NOPE! It's Deshaun Foster.

The_Real_PJ

Just Win Baby!
5 Year Member
Would UCLA go after Coach Tony White? Coach white did play & coach at UCLA - makes some sense....
No Head coaching experience is probably the biggest reason he is a NO. But...

Tony Whites name is being suggested on plenty of local radio here in Los Angeles, as someone to replace Chip Kelly.

Also talk of David Shaw, i hope its him.

Kelly has always hated the recruiting, the NIL, the portal, and the fact that ucla has no football backing or funding, therefore no NIL to speak of.

White probably wouldn't want the job for the same reasons Kelly left. Doesn't seem like a good setup for him. Plus . . . I don't imagine UCLA will want to go with a guy with no HC experience. Not to mention going into a really bad/chaotic situation on a short runway to spring ball, etc. White would be better off waiting for a HC gig that would be a better situation for him to succeed, IMHO.

Lots of names will be mentioned/suggested.

Last edited:
Local talk now is focusing on Pete Carroll, Pat Fitzgerald, D’Anton Lynn, Dan Mullin.
PJ Flecks name has come up too, and I dont know why, he has a good thing goin in Minn, and Ucla would be a step back in NIL, and general fan support…

A yr ago, ucla had an athletic bottom line of approx negative 150-160 million. The BIG will help that, but itll take a decade to dig out.
Their attendance of 38-42k, coupled with the poor tv revenue of the PAC 12 tv deal, has them living on tv dinners. They will scramble to be bowl elig every yr going fwd.

For an athletic dept that is a very close 2nd place to Stanford in total national championships of all sports…. Its shocking they dont have a better financial stream into a big school in LA. What they do have is an unlimited supply of kids who wanna go to school there. But with NIL $ now in the balance, those kids are gonna go where they have options

Local talk now is focusing on Pete Carroll, Pat Fitzgerald, D’Anton Lynn, Dan Mullin.
PJ Flecks name has come up too, and I dont know why, he has a good thing goin in Minn, and Ucla would be a step back in NIL, and general fan support…

A yr ago, ucla had an athletic bottom line of approx negative 150-160 million. The BIG will help that, but itll take a decade to dig out.
Their attendance of 38-42k, coupled with the poor tv revenue of the PAC 12 tv deal, has them living on tv dinners. They will scramble to be bowl elig every yr going fwd.

For an athletic dept that is a very close 2nd place to Stanford in total national championships of all sports…. Its shocking they dont have a better financial stream into a big school in LA. What they do have is an unlimited supply of kids who wanna go to school there. But with NIL $ now in the balance, those kids are gonna go where they have options
I'm mindful of demographics here. The PAC was under supported per capita in an arguably more expensive/affordable market, meaning people making more dollars with more dollars to contribute. That likely won't change as much for NIL purposes, however the west coast teams are now part of a higher/greater fanship per capita by far, so they will earn their prospective Big earnings and the Big itself might inject a higher desire for all things sports.

big diff between stanford and ucla is gonna be their alumni, much higher profile with stanford, ucla, other than aikman i cant think of any. also, they may have all those championships. but at what cost? nothing that makes money im betting.

big diff between stanford and ucla is gonna be their alumni, much higher profile with stanford, ucla, other than aikman i cant think of any. also, they may have all those championships. but at what cost? nothing that makes money im betting.
Both ucla and Stanford have heavy investments into their athletics. The teams they have are either maxed out or close to it.
While thats admirable and since you bring up money, the current situation we are all heading into is unknown. To make all the sports ucla and Stanford professional will destroy those sports, which leads to a likely two positions of athletes, scholarship and pro.
How this effects teams in the red from their athletics spending could mean, depending on pro model, it could become more profitable for certain sports with which universities could send those monies to profitless sports. We shall see on this.

If its just the pure love of the sport, an opportunity, and leaving now not too much soul searching, I could see TW to ucla, but its not that simple.

I live in Minnesota and know a guy on the inside in the university football program. Since PJ Fleck came here the insiders at first were skeptical and now realize he isn't going to win the conference. NIL is poor at Minnesota. They blame that on the many professional sports in town. If PJ gets an offer, (and I read an article today that said he is high on UCLA's list) he will take it I think.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks