• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

UCF...the worst thing possible

we're back

Scout Team
5 Year Member
to happen to Frost.

Frost was there but two years and just happened to catch lightning in a bottle. The result was success that came too soon and too easily for him. It filled his head with notions of being a great coach and having a superior staff.

The evidence since then suggests that he may not even be mediocre.

to happen to Frost.

Frost was there but two years and just happened to catch lightning in a bottle. The result was success that came too soon and too easily for him. It filled his head with notions of being a great coach and having a superior staff.

He’s coaching in the Big Ten he needs to adjust his offense is inconsistent but he’s a smart guy he’s going to figure that out. This has been an absolutely horrible year for everyone the set up for these games is a joke. Making any sense or evaluation of this season is a waste of time.

to happen to Frost.

I think it's reasonable for Frost to conclude he knew what he was doing. He'd had success wherever he went. He took a team that was 0-12 the year before, went 6-7 then 13-0.

For me, that was the ray of hope from the Frost hire, that he could build a solid foundation from a faltering team. My expectation was that we would again be respectable by year 3 and by the end of his first contract we would be competing for a league title. I've since lowered by expectations and now my annual letter to Santa includes a wish for a winning season. I must be on Santa's naughty list.

Frost now needs to reexamine his idea that what worked elsewhere will work in the B1G. I hope he's up to it.

Last edited:

Ed...it's all about context.

Frost had only two years of head coach experience prior to coming to Nebraska. It is true, that he took UCF from 0-12 to 13-0 in 2 years time, but that 0-12 year was a true anomaly.

And as we all know, there is a world of difference between being a successful assistant coach and a successful head coach.

Frost had only two years of head coach experience prior to coming to Nebraska. It is true, that he took UCF from 0-12 to 13-0 in 2 years time, but that 0-12 year was a true anomaly.

And as we all know, there is a world of difference between being a successful assistant coach and a successful head coach.

I'm with you. His relative inexperience as a HC was my major concern with his hire. But his loyal and dedication to the program were irrefutable. It was a no brainer for Moos. In retrospect, it may have all been too good to be true.

He’s coaching in the Big Ten he needs to adjust his offense is inconsistent but he’s a smart guy he’s going to figure that out. This has been an absolutely horrible year for everyone the set up for these games is a joke. Making any sense or evaluation of this season is a waste of time.

This is true to a certain extent. Every team in the conference has to deal with COVID and inept B1G leadership, not just us. We actually thought at one point that we had an advantage over some of the other teams because we had been working out together, etc....Frost has been saying since September that this team was ready to go. But then when the season finally got going we see the same systemic problems (penalties, turnovers, o-line, defensive lapses, bad offense, poor game management, etc....) that have been present since Frost took over.

So I agree that this season was basically a throw away year going in, but I also think you still have to critically evaluate the product on the field. Yesterday was as bad as any Nebraska game in recent history, Frost shouldn't get a pass for that debacle just because it's 2020.

Last edited:

Very few major programs can win without a decent passing QB, and a somewhat sophisticated passing offense. Frost's scheme relies upon neither so he doesn't recruit the kind of skill players that make a difference in big boy leagues. Really talented skill players have seen that his players don't make the NFL as other teams do, so they go where they can get the right coaching in the right schemes.

He had luck at UCF and lesser programs. It's unlikely that he'll have such luck in the BIG without major changes in basic thinking on his part and recruitment of coaches that can prepare players for the NFL. I'm not sure his price warrants retraining him. Too bad, because he has lots of intangible qualities that are ideal both for a team and for the university.

Pat Fitzgerald, who everyone seemingly praises at every opportunity, had zero coordinator or head coaching experience when his HC (Randy Walker) tragically passed away... & the LB coach was promoted & given the reigns to the program (at age 32).

Faith & Patience prevailed, as he guided and molded a previously bowl eligible program to being a respected & competitive member of the conference.

Folks in Lincoln need to stop trying to "catch lightning in a bottle" & circumvent the hard work, patience & determination needed to become an elite program once again... & allow our own alum a chance to learn, develop & lead us back to prominence. :Sign2cents:

Frost's style of offense will never work in the B1G unless you have superior athletes like OSU. It worked at UCF & Oregon because the defenses they played against were nowhere as good as they are in the B1G. Our defense is decent but is on the field way too long to be successful.

Last edited:
Pat Fitzgerald, who everyone seemingly praises at every opportunity, had zero coordinator or head coaching experience when his HC (Randy Walker) tragically passed away... & the LB coach was promoted & given the reigns to the program (at age 32).

Faith & Patience prevailed, as he guided and molded a previously bowl eligible program to being a respected & competitive member of the conference.

Folks in Lincoln need to stop trying to "catch lightning in a bottle" & circumvent the hard work, patience & determination needed to become an elite program once again... & allow our own alum a chance to learn, develop & lead us back to prominence. :Sign2cents:

My opinion only, but I think about 95% of NU fans would have zero problems giving Frost several years if we were seeing progress. He's going to get 2021, at a minimum, to prove he can coach in the B1G. Because right now, he looks to be failing miserably. In what should be considered the best case scenario by every Husker fan, Frost could turn things around. It's better for our financials and it's better for the fanbase. Whether progress is slow, but clear...........or fast like he thinks it will be (given his repeated "we are close" comments)..........I don't think we care. We've sucked for a long time now and patience is something we can afford if warranted. But he's got to show us something.

to happen to Frost.

Frost' offense needs an accurate and smart Milton type quarterback to make reads and good decisions. We went to those games and his lines were huge and speed was everywhere.
Frost is not the cube or the line not protecting them. Recruiting and development is on him but it is harder here. Hope he evolves in play calling and getting staff that can recruit and develop linemen.
Your negativity and defeatism sickens me whether you are correct or not. We went thru a ton of drama before with quitting on coaches so find an NFL team to hate on too and spread the buzzkill around?

to happen to Frost.

UCF made Frost a rich man, so there’s that.

I'd also question what has Frost done with his players.

UCF had the players to go from 0-12 to 13-0 because, as you said, 0-12 was an anomaly caused more about mental issues then physical issues. So in this case that quick turn around came from someone else's players, not Frost's players. Someone else's strength and conditioning program, not his. The same could be said for his time at Oregon.

So has Frost's ability to evaluate players, teach players, or build a strength and conditioning program really been tested. I'm not saying he can't do all of this, but it seems to me the strengths that got him hired might not be of his making.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back