• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tyreke Johnson ??

Power of Corn

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Has this guy made any forward movement ? He was a former 5 star, but I havent heard
a thing about him. Has he been hurt ?

how far we’ve come in a years time.

A year ago we (some) were celebrating (good) and anointing (bad) the arrival of such a highly touted young man. With immediate expectations beyond realistic reach heaped upon his arrival and NFL certainty bestowed upon his expectations. perhaps now humbled, the young can now see the ridiculousness of there fandom and the old…well they are gonna post what they gonna post.

As for tyreke, perhaps humbled as well, played at OSU, played less (than expected) at Nebraska. The less we hear from Johnson the better till the games get here. No longer is he a 5*, no longer is he the solution to right the ship. It’s his opportunity to come out on top by out working and out performing his teammates. Nothing less will do, transferring out means goin down or sitting out. Let the best man win.

A year ago we (some) were celebrating (good) and anointing (bad) the arrival of such a highly touted young man. With immediate expectations beyond realistic reach heaped upon his arrival and NFL certainty bestowed upon his expectations. perhaps now humbled, the young can now see the ridiculousness of there fandom and the old…well they are gonna post what they gonna post.

As for tyreke, perhaps humbled as well, played at OSU, played less (than expected) at Nebraska. The less we hear from Johnson the better till the games get here. No longer is he a 5*, no longer is he the solution to right the ship. It’s his opportunity to come out on top by out working and out performing his teammates. Nothing less will do, transferring out means goin down or sitting out. Let the best man win.
IMO, he's a safety that has to learn the game better.
Under Fish, he wont get better coaching.

His technique at DB seems too lose

IMO, he's a safety that has to learn the game better.
Under Fish, he wont get better coaching.

His technique at DB seems too lose
And you have established your opinions how? Im not sure I’ve ever seen him play. Certainly not enough to do any scouting so I’ll defer to you on that. but as a fan base we have at least moved on to the new crop of saviors to the point now that we are expecting another transfer (rightfully so in today’s college football) rather than a position battle come fall and perhaps into the season. Those days may be gone. Regardless of position I just hope tyreke and whomever he’s competing with can fight it out well into the season and afford us some depth. It will make us all better

And you have established your opinions how? Im not sure I’ve ever seen him play. Certainly not enough to do any scouting so I’ll defer to you on that. but as a fan base we have at least moved on to the new crop of saviors to the point now that we are expecting another transfer (rightfully so in today’s college football) rather than a position battle come fall and perhaps into the season. Those days may be gone. Regardless of position I just hope tyreke and whomever he’s competing with can fight it out well into the season and afford us some depth. It will make us all better
He has tools, but IMO lacks skillset. He's just not better than any/everybody that he can close and make things up on the field, again, imo.
He can learn and put those tools to better use, but Fish and this team isnt waiting around.
Potentials there, Tyreke has to bring it out and apply it.

What Ive seen of him is also very limited but what I did see was consistent.

lest we throw in Keem Green and Knab Joseph and M stepp.
Every time we get a tranfser we get told its a big get and its a difference maker. I've noticed lately there hasnt been as much of this, maybe some fans are learning.
Hype is just hype.
Another example is safety. Not a transfer........but Who was the most hyped get and most expected of our safety gets. NP Gates. Not farmer, not buford, not anyone else that will beat him out.
Who was more hyped Jackson Hanna or a walk on named Reimers.
yea, lots of times the hyped guys work out and lots of times they dont. Some day fans will realize that when a big name gets snagged, its nowhere near a guarantee hell be real good.

lest we throw in Keem Green and Knab Joseph and M stepp.
Every time we get a tranfser we get told its a big get and its a difference maker. I've noticed lately there hasnt been as much of this, maybe some fans are learning.
Hype is just hype.
Another example is safety. Not a transfer........but Who was the most hyped get and most expected of our safety gets. NP Gates. Not farmer, not buford, not anyone else that will beat him out.
Who was more hyped Jackson Hanna or a walk on named Reimers.
yea, lots of times the hyped guys work out and lots of times they dont. Some day fans will realize that when a big name gets snagged, its nowhere near a guarantee hell be real good.
Some survive HS transition to college, some excel like they did in HS.
With proven players from the portal you're basically eliminating this.

Gates needs some weight, said that last year.

Some survive HS transition to college, some excel like they did in HS.
With proven players from the portal you're basically eliminating this.

Gates needs some weight, said that last year.
what do you mean proven players from the portal? Yea, on occasion your getting to get proven players. but most of the time its guys transfering because they arent getting pt or they maybe they have issues. Or maybe they are lower level guys, proven at that level but not at our level.
Theres going to be lots of guessing when it comes to the portal. No way do you just snag consistent proven guys very often.

what do you mean proven players from the portal? Yea, on occasion your getting to get proven players. but most of the time its guys transfering because they arent getting pt or they maybe they have issues. Or maybe they are lower level guys, proven at that level but not at our level.
Theres going to be lots of guessing when it comes to the portal. No way do you just snag consistent proven guys very often.
Thats not what I was saying.
From your original position, the cant miss proven player hype, ok.
But I am saying that you avoid whether a player can play next level and is more of a proven player.
I think it comes down to coaching and fits in the portal, less molding a player, more getting it right the second time around.
Our level? Coaches had best be able to tell if the basic physical skills are there.
I think Tyreke needs to be molded even though hes a transfer, so reintroducing more of the HS to college transition crap shoot

Has this guy made any forward movement ? He was a former 5 star, but I havent heard
a thing about him. Has he been hurt ?
He had a good PBU in the spring game. But that's all I've got. I don't know the reason he hasn't broken through. And it's altogether possible there was some error in that "star" rating. Per Bo Pelini - "we give our own star ratings." And I'd guess his might be <5 right now.

This article has a brief mention of him:

Last edited:

Very true!

Thats not what I was saying.
From your original position, the cant miss proven player hype, ok.
But I am saying that you avoid whether a player can play next level and is more of a proven player.
I think it comes down to coaching and fits in the portal, less molding a player, more getting it right the second time around.
Our level? Coaches had best be able to tell if the basic physical skills are there.
I think Tyreke needs to be molded even though hes a transfer, so reintroducing more of the HS to college transition crap shoot
He wasn't seeing the field as tOSU for a reason. I think the comment he might be more of a Safety came from Sam McK when he transferred. Sam may have been correct. And yes, he obviously needs some molding. Now whether he is pliable, has the want to, and ultimately the capability, remains to be seen.

I hope he turns out to be a good one, but the lack of seeing the field much last year is a disappointment.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back