• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ty Hahn thoughts

Huskerwisdom

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
So oddly enough Nebraska has a lot of WR's that are getting recruited this year!

- One is signed (Betts) and we hope he qualifies and gets here on time. I really like his game. (6-2, 197, 4.59 40, 4.09 shuttle, 38.6 vertical)
- One we lost to ND (Watts). We put in our best shot, but sometimes a kid wants to go somewhere else (6-1, 190 - didn't find stats)

A bit further down on the list, we have Ty Hahn.

6-2, 186, 4.65 40, 4.13 shuttle, 35.20 Vertical (same camp as Betts went to, and similar numbers to what he put up at the Northwestern camp - 4.54, 4.28 shuttle) -- Iowa's looking at him as a WR, Northestern as a Safety/SAM LB, Iowa State WR and Safety

He's had interest, but the jump from 8 man to P5 is big. He's got offers to real football schools, but at lower levels - North Dakota, South Dakota State, Wyoming. Interest still there from Iowa State, Kansas State, Minnesota, Northwestern and us.

He and Gifford are tough decisions for the coaches since they have other schools paying their way (Gifford has Army, Northern Iowa, Oregon State offers), but I feel Hahn's a worthy candidate for an offer. A year of S&C would make him a big target at WR for us and with good speed to play at our level, but it's tempting to see what he could do at Safety also as a guy who can cover a whole range of offensive players.

Betts is not signed yet. Earliest he can do so is next month

Putting in the work to qualify from all accounts

It is looking like we may have empty slots to take a shot on these guys come February. That could change or we may save a bunch of scholarships to use for transfers but we are a long ways away from a full class and with the early signing date we dont have much time to do it.

It is looking like we may have empty slots to take a shot on these guys come February. That could change or we may save a bunch of scholarships to use for transfers but we are a long ways away from a full class and with the early signing date we dont have much time to do it.

I think we'll fill up, but I also think a guy like Hahn's worth it on his merits and athletic ability. I have some more questions on Gifford, but he's a guy who is (like his brother) a better athlete than people may think, and he's well along in S&C already (may wonder how much more he can build up?). If he was as tall as his brother, it's probably a no brainer (or an inch - I've seen him at 6-0 and 6-1). The numbers don't lie, though, he's a legit athlete - 4.55 electronic, low 4.2's shuttle, 38" vertical

Both are good students, IIRC, so it's possible a Greyshirt would work where they RS the first year and go on academic scholarships and onto scholarship a year later. Will have to see the numbers, though

I think we'll fill up, but I also think a guy like Hahn's worth it on his merits and athletic ability. I have some more questions on Gifford, but he's a guy who is (like his brother) a better athlete than people may think, and he's well along in S&C already (may wonder how much more he can build up?). If he was as tall as his brother, it's probably a no brainer (or an inch - I've seen him at 6-0 and 6-1). The numbers don't lie, though, he's a legit athlete - 4.55 electronic, low 4.2's shuttle, 38" vertical

Both are good students, IIRC, so it's possible a Greyshirt would work where they RS the first year and go on academic scholarships and onto scholarship a year later. Will have to see the numbers, though
I am not near as optimistic that we will fill up. We are not halfway there at this point and as we saw last year with the new signing period sometimes there is not much activity after the first wave of signatures. I dont see a lot of guys being talked about on here and I see even less guys that are being discussed as a Nebraska lean. I would challenge anyone to give me a list of 12 guys that you think we will get. When you factor in that on every list of 12 Nebraska leans or silent commits or whatever you want to call them are some guys that surprise us and go somewhere else that leaves us in less then a desirable position right now. We have no recruiting momentum at all and it is hard to believe that will change with the way our season appears to be finishing.

Rather see Frost take a shot with these guys who have skin in the game vs out of state guys that are just marginal.

This is definitely the type of year to take a chance on in-state players like Hahn and Gifford. We are going to struggle to fill this class with quality players....we got a late start in comparison to many other programs, a lot of the best players nationally have already verballed, there is very little in this year's results on the field to suggest that Nebraska is going to be a consistent winner anytime soon, etc. Better to give schollies this year to in-state players who in general have a lower wash-out rate, then to take a flyer on out-of-state marginal players. They may not become stars, but chances are good they will at least become contributors. I will be very happy if we offer both Hahn and Gifford, and if so we should do it soon so they know they are wanted rather than throwing out a hail-mary offer to them in late January if other more "desirable" targets haven't committed by then.

I am not near as optimistic that we will fill up. We are not halfway there at this point and as we saw last year with the new signing period sometimes there is not much activity after the first wave of signatures. I dont see a lot of guys being talked about on here and I see even less guys that are being discussed as a Nebraska lean. I would challenge anyone to give me a list of 12 guys that you think we will get. When you factor in that on every list of 12 Nebraska leans or silent commits or whatever you want to call them are some guys that surprise us and go somewhere else that leaves us in less then a desirable position right now. We have no recruiting momentum at all and it is hard to believe that will change with the way our season appears to be finishing.
Have you asked Coach Frost? If he can't then definitely tell him your concerns...

Have you asked Coach Frost? If he can't then definitely tell him your concerns...
LOL, no I have not asked Coach Frost. I am basing this off of what I see here and on other recruiting websites. I do hope the coaches know several guys that we have a great shot at that the rest of us dont know about. In the past there have been a few surprises that nobody saw coming but normally that number isn't about 12 of them. I love the kids we have but anyone that thinks we are in great shape to finish this class strong with the way things are going is fooling themselves.

Ty Hahn seems like a guy that could become your "old reliable" receiver like Todd Peterson or Kade Warner. It's not that big of a stretch, and he would hopefully come in motivated. I'd rather take a swing and miss with Hahn than someone I've never heard of. If he shows up as an occasional receiver as an upperclassman, you probably are doing better than what Nebraska has gotten the last 3-4 years.

I'm curious as to your "we have no recruiting momentum right now". You do realize that between the first game of the season and the last game of the season last year we got commitments from 6 players, right? Did you know that (despite our lack of recruiting momentum) we have commitments from five players this year... With four weeks to go? Did you know that during the 2016 season, Smilin' Mike and his merry band of recruiting marvels had a grand total of (ahem) one commit for his vaunted 2017 class - - and that guy never made it to campus? Or, that for the 2016 class he had 3 total commits during the 2015 season? Weird how 5 commits through eight games = no momentum.

A month ago, did you have Henry Gray on your list of pending commits? Did you have Delancy flipping from Louisville prior to his visit? No? Do you expect the recent 4-star de-commit from FSU to commit to NU? If not, maybe you should - - that's where the FSU people think he's headed. I think there's several the coaching staff feel pretty good about that the media really isn't even talking about.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back