• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ty Hahn thoughts

Great to have possession receivers we can count on but we need speed to spread the field and limit the nine in the box defenses.

Great to have possession receivers we can count on but we need speed to spread the field and limit the nine in the box defenses.

He's probably more of a possession receiver, but his speed is pretty legit. Betts and he have some similarities as athletes, and Betts is a guy who I think will be in our WR rotation next year

We've added speed guys, but need to get them on the field, and think we need a couple of bigger WR's to move the chains -- this year we have Nixon committed, last year we got Houston, Nance, and Chase - all of them have plenty of speed. Biggest miss this year was not having a bigger target to take some pressure off the QB

We should take both Gifford and Hahn. My understanding is we plan on taking 6 LBs from what I’ve heard. With where we are at on 11/3 we may have trouble getting that number. So let’s take a swing at a slightly undersized guy who has lots of heart and athleticism. Same with Hahn.

I'm with you on this. I was already on the side of offering Hahn, but now am on the side of offering Gifford as well. He's a really good athlete, although being a bit of a tweener (S/LB), IMO, but that's not all bad. In the past few weeks I think we see that we need some of those hybrid types in our back 8

I'm with you on this. I was already on the side of offering Hahn, but now am on the side of offering Gifford as well. He's a really good athlete, although being a bit of a tweener (S/LB), IMO, but that's not all bad. In the past few weeks I think we see that we need some of those hybrid types in our back 8
All in on the hybrid types. See JoJo Doman.

One thing about these local kids, is they are ok having a "role" to make the team better. Domann wants to be an every down OLB and it's tough against Wisconsin or Iowa to leave him out there all the time. Probably would be the same for little Gifford since he isn't as tall as his brother.

Local kids can help your depth as well. Look at the position we are in at LB. It's not because Riley put us in a bad spot, it's because a coaching change had Alexander, Thomas, and Roberts take off. 2 four stars and a 3 star that had 20 sacks his senior year. Throw in Dixon being here for only a year and it's tough. Local kids ride with the turmoil and want Nebraska to be great just as much as the fans.

However, I think the coaches know that they can wait on these guys and offer them whenever and they will commit. Isaac Gifford as a 6'0" prospect is a tough sell. Needs to sleep upside down and stretch out a bit.

One thing about these local kids, is they are ok having a "role" to make the team better. Domann wants to be an every down OLB and it's tough against Wisconsin or Iowa to leave him out there all the time. Probably would be the same for little Gifford since he isn't as tall as his brother.

I don't want to venture too far off Ty Hahn here but I thought this was an interesting point. At least in regards to Domann specifically, why can't we play him every down? He's the most athletic LB on the team by far, hustles all over the field, and he actually wraps up instead of the shoulder bump method so many of these guys use today. He's still listed at 6'1" 230 so it's not like he's that small; Barry is only a few pounds heavier.

I don't want to venture too far off Ty Hahn here but I thought this was an interesting point. At least in regards to Domann specifically, why can't we play him every down? He's the most athletic LB on the team by far, hustles all over the field, and he actually wraps up instead of the shoulder bump method so many of these guys use today. He's still listed at 6'1" 230 so it's not like he's that small; Barry is only a few pounds heavier.
He's our best defensive player, IMO. The problem becomes that if you have him out there against Wisconsin and Iowa, their TEs just destroy him, especially in 2 TE sets. Barry and our ILBs are C gap players running a little more lateral, whereas the OLBs are edge setters which is why Nelson and Davis are called on against the big boys/non spread teams.

He's our best defensive player, IMO. The problem becomes that if you have him out there against Wisconsin and Iowa, their TEs just destroy him, especially in 2 TE sets. Barry and our ILBs are C gap players running a little more lateral, whereas the OLBs are edge setters which is why Nelson and Davis are called on against the big boys/non spread teams.

Why not move him inside then when they're in 2 TE sets and we have Nelson or Davis (loud groan) at OLB? I guess part of my frustration with our staff right now is that we don't have the best players on the field as much as we can. The drop off from him to Nelson is massive right now so why do it if we can find ways to keep him on the field and make plays?

Why not move him inside then when they're in 2 TE sets and we have Nelson or Davis (loud groan) at OLB? I guess part of my frustration with our staff right now is that we don't have the best players on the field as much as we can. The drop off from him to Nelson is massive right now so why do it if we can find ways to keep him on the field and make plays?

this is a good point. We need to be creative with our LB's. I don't like the idea of always rolling with 2 big ILB's. Maybe someday when we get 2 big, mobile guys, sure, but in the meantime, mix and match and get somebody out there who can cover on longer downs, get some speed and mobility there.

-- more than a few 3-4 teams run with a big guy and a smaller guy inside. Think Elandon Roberts, for instance -- super fast, mobile, just under 6-0 tall and at 235

Most of all, find someone who can find a gap and fill it!

As for Nelson, I have a good bit of hope that he'll be pretty good, and maybe not all that far in the future

Last edited:
I’d offer them both. Hahn is a solid big bodied receiver.

Gifford if nothing else can be a good special teams player and a guy that can play on space against spread teams.

You are going to get the best effort out of them. Take the chance. They will have 3-4 reached in this class. It should be local kids.

Air Force should probably have about 20 offers out to Nebraska high school kids. There's tons of kids in this state that could help them.

Very true! The HS talent in NE is impressing me lately. Bigger problem for them is to find kids who academically work for them and who are interested in the military school and commitment after school.

Had a cousin who played tennis for them and is a lifer in the Air Force now

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back