• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Twins suck!

Baseball fan here. I really don't know where the Twins went wrong. Apparently Bill Smith was a poor judge of talent. The club is absolutely bereft of pitching. There are 4-5 guys on the MLB roster that can hit. typically there are about 4 guys in the line up that belong in AAA.

It's going to take a while to turn this thing around. They will have draft picks. They have a 3rd baseman at single A that is a phenom. His name is Sano. I hope to see him play tomorrow.

one of the few potential bright spots. would love a scouting report if you get a chance to see the game. Us twins fans are really hoping he materializes, hot corner has been pretty much vacant since kotske left many a year ago.

one of the few potential bright spots. would love a scouting report if you get a chance to see the game. Us twins fans are really hoping he materializes, hot corner has been pretty much vacant since kotske left many a year ago.

Sano is as good as advertized. He drove the first pitch thrown to him, over the center field wall. The second time at bat he nearly took the pitcher's head off. The kid can flat hit. He's only 18 years old. Made some plays at 3rd also. A young man named Matt Summers pitched a great game for Beloit (Twins).

Last edited:
What ever happened to Francisco Liriano?!? Just 2-3 years ago, he was an up-and-coming stud... an injured, lost season... a mostly horrible last season.. and now, he's even worse (and in the bullpen). !!!

yep. and to make matters worse, the minor league cupboard is almost completely bare. It didn't help that gibson needed tommy john, they needed an arm bad, but that is out of their control, but the other "uber-stud" farm boys, Revere and Hicks, have really failed to make it. I blame the system. Their insistence on keeping and promoting staff in-house led to bill smith, who pretty much brokered every deal gone bad. We got absolutely nothing in return for Johan, who at the time was one of the top sp in the game.

Souhan put it best in a strib column last season, the twins don't know how to deal with riches. The metrodome twins with their shoe-string budget would NEVER have made a play for nishi, but the target field twins felt they could jump into that market, and he was a colossal bust that they don't have the resources to cover up.

A few short years ago, the twins were a piece or two from being serious title contenders. Now they need 5 sp, serious bullpen help, and 3-4 new guys in the lineup with no help on the farm. How did they go from 1 or 2 needs to 9 or 10 so fast? Ryan has a helluva project in front of him.

...and they've go so much cash sunk into Morneau, Nathan, and Mauer that it is even worse than it looks.

What ever happened to Francisco Liriano?!? Just 2-3 years ago, he was an up-and-coming stud... an injured, lost season... a mostly horrible last season.. and now, he's even worse (and in the bullpen). !!!

Used him too much in his rookie campaign (especially for a converted pitcher w/o a huge track record) and had to have elbow (?) surgery. Was never the same after.

Sano is as good as advertized. He drove the first pitch thrown to him, over the center field wall. The second time at bat he nearly took the pitcher's head off. The kid can flat hit. He's only 18 years old. Made some plays at 3rd also. A young man named Matt Summers pitched a great game for Beloit (Twins).

Thanks for the report :thumbsup:

Used him too much in his rookie campaign (especially for a converted pitcher w/o a huge track record) and had to have elbow (?) surgery. Was never the same after.

That, and he has about the worst mental makeup of any professional athlete I've seen. He has no ability to clamp down and focus, especially after adversity. If he gives up a first inning run you can pretty much bank that he'll come unraveled and give up 5 or 6 more and be done after 3 innings.

That, and he has about the worst mental makeup of any professional athlete I've seen. He has no ability to clamp down and focus, especially after adversity. If he gives up a first inning run you can pretty much bank that he'll come unraveled and give up 5 or 6 more and be done after 3 innings.

A buddy of mine that lives up there tells me that he wouldn't be surprised if they relased Liriano. Apparently the local press is upset with what theys see.

Have now gone 15 straight innings without a hit (think about that for a second), the rotation has a collective ERA of 7.06, they own the worst record in mlb, and are on pace to lose 121 games.

Going to be a looooong looooong season for my team :(
Someone needs to fix the thread title.
Make it "Royals suck!"

I also heard some commentators on MLB Network suggesting that his delivery completely exposes what pitch is coming to the batter.

A buddy of mine that lives up there tells me that he wouldn't be surprised if they relased Liriano. Apparently the local press is upset with what theys see.

yeah, he's been pretty much getting bbq'd on local sports radio. We'll see how the move to the pen works out. His slider is all-world, but it's useless when he keeps getting behind in the count and can't use it. I don't think he'll be released, he will still hold some trade value for a pitching coach willing to take a flier and try to get in his head.

oooo, won 2 in a row on the road vs. detriot. Break 'em up!

Added something called PJ Walters to the rotation, look out now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Here's a great article as to why exactly the Twins really suck right now:

http://www.twinkietown.com/2012/3/29/2910262/how-well-have-the-twins-drafted-in-the-last-ten-years

They just haven't drafted very good....At all....

The minor league cupboard isn't completely bare, but all the talent is in the low minor leagues....Sano and Rosario could both be very good players for the Twins down the line....They need Gibson and Wimmers to come back healthy....Hendriks has a chance to be good.....Guerra is on fire after his move to the 'pen.....And guys like Hicks, Arcia, Morales, Harrison, etc, are really young, but REALLY talented.....We need a stud in the draft this year at 2, and we have 4 more after that in the top 70 which we need to turn into some quality players.....We need to turn that high pick next year into a stud too...

Here's a great article as to why exactly the Twins really suck right now:

http://www.twinkietown.com/2012/3/29/2910262/how-well-have-the-twins-drafted-in-the-last-ten-years

They just haven't drafted very good....At all....

The minor league cupboard isn't completely bare, but all the talent is in the low minor leagues....Sano and Rosario could both be very good players for the Twins down the line....They need Gibson and Wimmers to come back healthy....Hendriks has a chance to be good.....Guerra is on fire after his move to the 'pen.....And guys like Hicks, Arcia, Morales, Harrison, etc, are really young, but REALLY talented.....We need a stud in the draft this year at 2, and we have 4 more after that in the top 70 which we need to turn into some quality players.....We need to turn that high pick next year into a stud too...

Good article, albeit a bit painful to read. I think they've relied a bit too much on HS kids as well. Baseball players are hard enough to project as it is, let alone trying to forecast what an 18 yr old's major league chances are.

From what I've read, most GM's/scouts are calling this year's draft the weakest talent pool in recent memory. Which is not an encouraging thought given our many needs.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back