• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"Turn around!/look for the ball!" Guy

I guess If I'm a young receiver and I've mastered the ability to turn and look at the right time to the extent that I am breaking up a pass...…..then I certainly have time to get better in the future. In the mean time I haven't let them score a TD every time they throw my way. While some might want to argue that an interception is the core concept of our defense I would argue that preventing them from catching the ball for a TD is more important.

I guess If I'm a young receiver and I've mastered the ability to turn and look at the right time to the extent that I am breaking up a pass...…..then I certainly have time to get better in the future. In the mean time I haven't let them score a TD every time they throw my way. While some might want to argue that an interception is the core concept of our defense I would argue that preventing them from catching the ball for a TD is more important.

I agree and I think that is the point many are making. The receiver usually knows the route and where the ball could go on any given play. The defenders do not. It is incredibly difficult for DB's because they do not have that knowledge so they are playing from behind at the start of any play. I'd rather have a guy play the man and try to break up a pass rather than try to make an INT on every play. The prospect/outcome of getting burned is way too high.

I agree and I think that is the point many are making. The receiver usually knows the route and where the ball could go on any given play. The defenders do not. It is incredibly difficult for DB's because they do not have that knowledge so they are playing from behind at the start of any play. I'd rather have a guy play the man and try to break up a pass rather than try to make an INT on every play. The prospect/outcome of getting burned is way too high.

It’s not about making the INT every play, it’s about having the confidence to make the play when it is there. If we are only operating off extremes I would rather have a dlineman hold his ground and make the tackle at the LOS then penetrate and leave a running lane open that leads to a td every play but then we hear complaints about lack of a pass rush. The concept is “knowing when you can miss” or when you can take a risk for a bigger play and going for it and we just aren’t there yet.

Well...kind of. You see, a lot of interceptions are not the work of lockdown corners but, instead, are caused by errant throws caused by an effective pass rush. We haven't had an effective pass rush since Bootle has been here. As a result, very few: 1) errant passes caused by pressure, 2) tipped passes, 3) passes throw on the run, and 4) passes throw off course by hitting the QB as he releases come Bootle's way. I think you will see more INTs from Bootle when the pass rush improves. This is one reason why there are not 50 things more important to fix than our pass rush...in fact, there are VERY FEW things more important. BTW...I'm definitely not ***.

Not sure why it left out ***’s quote but the first paragraph was in response to you, the rest was supposed to have ***’s quote but mobile ops make it a little more difficult.

Maybe I’m the minority but I believe the defense covers for itself. By that I mean if you lack pass rush but have great corners they can provide cover stops/sacks just like a pass rush can cover for the secondary, just like athletic linebackers can cover for run fits/missed assignments etc... so just like a pass rush does provide more opportunities, better coverage and taking advantage of the plays that are there can cover for not having a strong pass rush. I would also argue our pass rush was a lot better than most give it credit for last year. There were fans complaining about pass rush when teams were running shorter routes and two/three step drops designed to beat our blitz...but gifford and Stille posted strong numbers and several others contributed well enough

I would caution comparisons between LJ and DB.
LJ has a ton of length that can result, and also size to lean receivers off their routes and jam people.
DB has pretty dang good hips and turns quick allowing him to stay in the WRs pocket. If Duval puts too much weight on DB, he could lose that turn and run ability for the sake of being able to lean receivers off their routes.
Teams tested the heck out of DB in part hoping he would have to come out for breathers, knowing we weren't deep at true cover corner. Just shows what a warrior DB is because he just kept going like the energizer bunny.
Cam Taylor is a good mix of both and definitely grew as year went on.

Maybe I’m the minority but I believe the defense covers for itself. By that I mean if you lack pass rush but have great corners they can provide cover stops/sacks just like a pass rush can cover for the secondary, just like athletic linebackers can cover for run fits/missed assignments etc... so just like a pass rush does provide more opportunities, better coverage and taking advantage of the plays that are there can cover for not having a strong pass rush. I would also argue our pass rush was a lot better than most give it credit for last year. There were fans complaining about pass rush when teams were running shorter routes and two/three step drops designed to beat our blitz...but gifford and Stille posted strong numbers and several others contributed well enough
Please privide examples of the "plays that were there" you keep talking about. I do not remember Bootle missing out on any INTs that he should have made...but, I suppose some think if a guy can break up a pass by touching it...why in the world doesn't he pick it off!!!? NOTE: this is a ase where the exception would likely prove the rule, it'll take more than one OBVIOUS example. probably more than a few.

It is difficult for defenses to consistently rely on one part of their defense to prop up a weak part of their defense. I thought our corners did very well but since we had no pass rush at all, I am relishing the thought of how good they will be with just a hint of a pass rush. Frankly, I don't think the corners can help out the pass rush much more than they did in 2018...the pass rush will need to get capable of doing their job in 2019. Anyone who thinks the pass rush was fine in 2018, wasn't paying attention unless they thought being marginally better than "really bad" was acceptable.

Last edited:
Please privide examples of the "plays that were there" you keep talking about. I do not remember Bootle missing out on any INTs that he should have made...but, I suppose some think if a guy can break up a pass by touching it...why in the world doesn't he pick it off!!!? NOTE: this is a ase where the exception would likely prove the rule, it'll take more than one OBVIOUS example. probably more than a few.

It is difficult for defenses to consistently rely on one part of their defense to prop up a weak part of their defense. I thought our corners did very well but since we had no pass rush at all, I am relishing the thought of how good they will be with just a hint of a pass rush. Frankly, I don't think the corners can help out the pass rush much more than they did in 2018...the pass rush will need to get capable of doing their job in 2019. Anyone who thinks the pass rush was fine in 2018, wasn't paying attention unless they thought being marginally better than "really bad" was acceptable.

LOL you're being ridiculous. If you understand CB technique, positioning and footwork/hand placement you can rewatch the games (I don't have time to and post every breakdown showing missed opportunities) but I certainly noticed throughout the season a few (notice few which is what has been my claim throughout so requiring holistic examples of representation is a ridiculous requirement for my claim.) If you can show me obvious examples of Bootle NEVER BEING IN THE PROPER POSITION OR HAVING AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE AN INT then I will concede that his positioning is perfect and he can't improve in that aspect. If you are so interested and have the time you could even just compile a highlight reel of every pass target ever going his way and I will break down each and every one for you (just going over his 2018 highlight reel there are multiple examples of him being in position, having time to read his keys and simply not turning quick enough despite everything being there for him technique wise, position wise, he's just slow to turn which is typically a confidence/trust/fear issue that leads to PBU's or completions instead of turnovers,) but as previously stated I do not have the time to rewatch an entire 2 seasons of film and breakdown every pass his way (full time job, 3 kids etc) but if you can simplify it for me I'd love to help you understand.

We appear to have differing philosophies on defense and that's fine as there are different paths to the same result. Our Pass Rush netted us 67th in total sacks (and nearly doubled our sack production from the year before in the first year with the new defense) which is drastically better not the Marginal that you will call it but I digress...our Interceptions were in a 13 way tie for 59th (if you include bowl games we actually drop to 70+ but I don't feel like doing the math) so one could argue that both being marginally better than "really bad" in both areas is a problem that needs addressed and turnovers are greater than sacks, sacks can lead to turnovers, and turnovers can lead to more coverage sacks, so realistically we are playing which came first the chicken or the egg but ultimately want the same result. You are wanting a pass rush to develop and I want our mentality to rewire to reflect the staffs desires to Know when you can miss and make the play when it's there. Either way, if either occurs we will be in much better shape...i just see room for immediate improvement turnover wise, and our pass rush I can't really point to anyone who is right there as to being that difference maker in that aspect.

Maybe you can show me someone who is right there via pass rush from your understanding/knowledge of pass rushing technique and we can make a thread on that and I'll be sure to tune in as I'm always looking to expand my football knowledge if you have insights you are willing to share.

Eh, I just hate generalizations such as lineman should never grab, cb's don't need to turn around and look etc...more pet peeves but there is a time and place for both in football and imo we just need to fine tune. I really do enjoy the discussions but you'd be hard pressed to convince me from what I know, have seen, and heard from our coaches that our top graded corner who is in continuously really great position shouldn't turn to locate the football. That just simply isn't our philosophy nor should it ever be. We aren't the bend but don't break of old'en days (Riley era) we are the go out and make plays and get our offense the ball style that our players still need to adapt to.

LOL you're being ridiculous. If you understand CB technique, positioning and footwork/hand placement you can rewatch the games (I don't have time to and post every breakdown showing missed opportunities) but I certainly noticed throughout the season a few (notice few which is what has been my claim throughout so requiring holistic examples of representation is a ridiculous requirement for my claim.) If you can show me obvious examples of Bootle NEVER BEING IN THE PROPER POSITION OR HAVING AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE AN INT then I will concede that his positioning is perfect and he can't improve in that aspect. If you are so interested and have the time you could even just compile a highlight reel of every pass target ever going his way and I will break down each and every one for you (just going over his 2018 highlight reel there are multiple examples of him being in position, having time to read his keys and simply not turning quick enough despite everything being there for him technique wise, position wise, he's just slow to turn which is typically a confidence/trust/fear issue that leads to PBU's or completions instead of turnovers,) but as previously stated I do not have the time to rewatch an entire 2 seasons of film and breakdown every pass his way (full time job, 3 kids etc) but if you can simplify it for me I'd love to help you understand.

We appear to have differing philosophies on defense and that's fine as there are different paths to the same result. Our Pass Rush netted us 67th in total sacks (and nearly doubled our sack production from the year before in the first year with the new defense) which is drastically better not the Marginal that you will call it but I digress...our Interceptions were in a 13 way tie for 59th (if you include bowl games we actually drop to 70+ but I don't feel like doing the math) so one could argue that both being marginally better than "really bad" in both areas is a problem that needs addressed and turnovers are greater than sacks, sacks can lead to turnovers, and turnovers can lead to more coverage sacks, so realistically we are playing which came first the chicken or the egg but ultimately want the same result. You are wanting a pass rush to develop and I want our mentality to rewire to reflect the staffs desires to Know when you can miss and make the play when it's there. Either way, if either occurs we will be in much better shape...i just see room for immediate improvement turnover wise, and our pass rush I can't really point to anyone who is right there as to being that difference maker in that aspect.

Maybe you can show me someone who is right there via pass rush from your understanding/knowledge of pass rushing technique and we can make a thread on that and I'll be sure to tune in as I'm always looking to expand my football knowledge if you have insights you are willing to share.

Wow. Let me get this straight, you go on and on in multiple posts deriding Bootle for not making great plays on the ball, evidently, per you, because he lacks confidence to do what our coaches want. Then when I ask for a few examples of such plays, you act offended and tell me to make you a highlight reel of Bootle's plays. LOL, now THAT is pretty much an insane request. Perhaps cut back on the lenthy posts and spend a feww minutes on youtube and post some examples.

But, like you seem to have done to others, your illogical arguments and extreme verbosity have worn me this old dog down. I'll just mention that while you are trying to act like an expert, you don't seem to have fooled anyone on a very gullible board...that's hard to do.

Amusing.gif

Last edited:
My request was poking fun of your remarks lol not sure how you don't get the sarcasm of my post but for your reference here's the first one I remembered

Nebraska vs. Purdue 20:39

Bootle is in perfect hip position with his hands feeling the receiver who is giving every key the ball is underthrown, bootle reacts WAAAY late and doesnt start to turn his head until the receivers hands are up on his helmet going for the ball. Obvious PI when Bootle was in perfect position. That one didn't have to be an INT but bootle didn't trust his read and was afraid of giving up the TD. There was one more from that game and one in the MSU game that jump out but like I said I do have better things to do.

Like I said, feel free to explain your expertise and how he played that correctly but good luck. You play arrogant and cocky to cover up your obvious lack of technical knowledge and make time suck demands that simply aren't realistic but provide no real context. I can also show you a textbook in the first half on how the dline was getting pressure and the secondary got burnt thus proving my previous point about one being able to cover for the other and vice versa but I'll let you continue living in your fantasy world where you are right and no other ways can be correct.

Actually, Chinander has pretty much said the same thing in his presser’s that we have guys in position, but they need to start making a play and get their hands on the ball and take it away...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back