• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Tunnel Walk Trauma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker Mort

Heisman
5 Year Member
http://www.huskermax.com/games/2012/vid/01/01.html

Since '94, the tunnel walk has become a tradition that, in part, defines the Nebraska game day experience. The 2012 version is, easily, the weakest ever broadcast by HuskerVision. In fact, it is one of the worst video animations that I have seen. Over-reliance on 2D imagery, a vague organizational structure which rips off its principle element (a field goal standard) from a retirement services commercial (roman column), video clips on generic ground planes and with generic sky backgrounds, and a complete lack of custom animation. Even the modeling of the stadium is off -- check out the realism of the North Stadium windows (flat blue gradient), field turf texture (none) & color (mint green), and absence of architectural detail. (See also the championship trophies: Sears' trophies are blue/grey and the AP trophies from '70/'71 are 2 dimensional.) BTW: are Devaney and Osborne hovering with the trophies above the field goal?

As for the "card stunts", which Nebraska has rarely (if ever) done: if you're going to go with it, go with it. The graphic approach to simulating fan cards is really poor as they make little effort to graphically account for aisles (where fans would be unable to hold cards) or even account for the reality of one fan=one card (especially gruesome with the "Can't be beat", "Won't be beat"). They are simply semi-translucent image overlays (not animated in any way).

In the days of Pixar and stadium renderings like these, it is simply unacceptable for an organization with Nebraska's resources and professionalism to present this weak of a product. Especially when you have graduate students on campus in architecture and video production that could have done 300% better on a few week's notice.

By comparison, I believe that the 1999 tunnel walk is far more inspired and creative:

[video=youtube;OAeWSF5VetU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAeWSF5VetU&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

...completely different approach a decade later, but still with much higher production quality:

[video=youtube;fX1PafJoOk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX1PafJoOk8[/video]

What do you think?

Last edited:

ya i agree. that was very weak. i know nothing about video production but its pretty easy to know a crappy video when you see one....and that video was poopstick.

Agreed completely. The Tunnel Walk was awful. And I thought it was awful last year also.

They need to ditch the animated junk and go back to showing highlights of the past and clips that show our tradition.

To me, the Tunnel Walk should serve 2 purposes. 1) Motivate the fans and players by being exciting. 2) Intimidate the opponent. (Watch the Tunnel Walk Vs FAU a few years ago and notice how their players are all on the sidelines watching it.... as it shows 5 National Titles.... 3 Heisman trophies....etc etc.

The online broadcast is just as bad. It comes and goes and is a general embarrassment. Either the software is junk, the hardware is junk, or the people running the operation have no idea what they are doing--or possibly a combination of all three.

Agreed that the production values of the Tunnel Walk have not only slipped, they've plunged into a crevasse and the only possible solution is to cut their arms off.

Seriously though...my 11 old daughter has done better with a $200 video camera and my iMac. I think the entire entrance sequence has jumped the shark.

I agree completely, it is poor in quality compared to past Tunnel Walks, it seems for the past several years it gets worse. If you have a chance,look at the 2003 Texas A&M Video. However I believe who the first ones were made by a staff member no longer their.

They need to just do a complete reboot on the Tunnel Walk at this point. The graphics look like they are from 1999.

Last edited:

They need to just do a complete reboot on the Tunnel Walk at this point. The graphics look like they are from 1999.

Who ever is in charge of Husker Vision better have been in after the game doing a post game assessment. And back to work this a.m. with the entire staff starting from scratch to get the Tunnel Walk video up to Nebraska standards.

Sorry guys/gals it was rather poor work. There are 2 weeks to get it right.

http://www.huskermax.com/games/2012/vid/01/01.html

Since '94, the tunnel walk has become a tradition that, in part, defines the Nebraska game day experience. The 2012 version is, easily, the weakest ever broadcast by HuskerVision. In fact, it is one of the worst video animations that I have seen. Over-reliance on 2D imagery, a vague organizational structure which rips off its principle element (a field goal standard) from a retirement services commercial (roman column), video clips on generic ground planes and with generic sky backgrounds, and a complete lack of custom animation. Even the modeling of the stadium is off -- check out the realism of the North Stadium windows (flat blue gradient), field turf texture (none) & color (mint green), and absence of architectural detail. (See also the championship trophies: Sears' trophies are blue/grey and the AP trophies from '70/'71 are 2 dimensional.) BTW: are Devaney and Osborne hovering with the trophies above the field goal?

As for the "card stunts", which Nebraska has rarely (if ever) done: if you're going to go with it, go with it. The graphic approach to simulating fan cards is really poor as they make little effort to graphically account for aisles (where fans would be unable to hold cards) or even account for the reality of one fan=one card (especially gruesome with the "Can't be beat", "Won't be beat"). They are simply semi-translucent image overlays (not animated in any way).

In the days of Pixar and stadium renderings like these, it is simply unacceptable for an organization with Nebraska's resources and professionalism to present this weak of a product. Especially when you have graduate students on campus in architecture and video production that could have done 300% better on a few week's notice.

By comparison, I believe that the 1999 tunnel walk is far more inspired and creative:

[video=youtube;OAeWSF5VetU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAeWSF5VetU&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

...completely different approach a decade later, but still with much higher production quality:

[video=youtube;fX1PafJoOk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX1PafJoOk8[/video]

What do you think?

I guess I 'm just to simple. It still made the hair on my neck stand up. Maybe they could get Clint Easrwood to direct the next one. I hear he has done some really cool work here lately!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back