• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trying to Understand

I've posted very little and am just as frustrated with the current state of Nebraska football....but....I feel there is reason for hope, albeit slight.

Game 1 - Ohio St. game i'll just basically move on from. Some where encouraged, others not so much. We know they are good, talented and better coached.

Game 2 - We lost to 7-2 Northwestern by 8....a game most would admit that even though at times we look terribly inept we did put up 442 yards. Just think if we looked just "average" in the eyes of Husker fans. A win would have been likely.

Game 3 - We beat Penn State. A team that obviously struggled (how do you think their fan base must feel this year). They are more talented, better coached, etc. (yada yada), but we pulled it off.

Game 4 - Illinois game.....This game was obviously ugly on virtually every level. No reason to rehash this one.

Game 5 - Another could have been an easy win game. And this is against our so-called her rival Iowa that finished 6-2 and most said heading in that we would lose by 30. One or two plays could have obviously changed the outcome.

Game 6 - A win over Purdue.....enough said.

Game 7 - I know, we've all head it. They (Minnesota) were missing tons of players, etc...but the final was 24-17 so regardless just a couple of big plays from a much different outcome.

Game 8 - A win over Rutgers. Obviously not impressive but nonetheless a victory. There is something about Nebraska that can't blow anyone out. Regardless everyone kept harping that Rutgers has a better coach, trending in the right direction, etc.....but NU prevailed.

Going back to my last statement about not being able to blow anyone out. I think most could be on the same page that we do have some talent on offense that is more than capable in making many more plays then they have so far. Is coaching the problem? Scheme (which i know goes back to coaching)? Confidence? Chemistry? Talent?

I, like others, think that if we could ever get just a little momentum/confidence going that this team just may turn that corner. I don't mean in the way UCF did and run the table but just get back to respectability, whether that is 8 wins, 9 wins, 10 wins. Let's say we open the season with a decent win against Illinois (which we better considering they just went through a coaching change. Talk about a slap in the face when we have been using that excuse for 3 years but continually get beat by teams in similar situations).

I know Buffalo had a good season, but once again it isn't a game Nebraska can lose. Obviously next is Oklahoma....I don't think we are ready to compete there yet and after a game against Michigan State we get Ohio St. again....but is there any game on the remaining schedule Nebraska can't win if they make even a slight improvement? Do I think the Huskers will go 10-2? No....but could they? I think if things clicked they could. Could they go 6-6 or worse? Well we know that answer as well.

I'm just saying....as terrible as our record has been that hope isn't all lost, just hard to find. I just wish more people would support and not be so negative. It is seen by recruits and I think it has to change their perception of the otherwise awesome Husker fanbase.

Don't disagree with you at all. But (and I hope we don't have to experience this) imagine what this board will be like if OSU wins 70-10 and OU wins 63-14. 7-5 will take a back seat to those blowouts.
With that said, to the outside world and to future recruits, 7 wins would be a sign of progress, and despite a few demoralizing losses (using your example), it would be perceived as Frost is righting the ship....regardless of what folks are saying on HM. At this point, I would take 7 wins...with that brutal schedule in 2021, as a sign of progress/improvement.

I've posted very little and am just as frustrated with the current state of Nebraska football....but....I feel there is reason for hope, albeit slight.

Game 1 - Ohio St. game i'll just basically move on from. Some where encouraged, others not so much. We know they are good, talented and better coached.

Game 2 - We lost to 7-2 Northwestern by 8....a game most would admit that even though at times we look terribly inept we did put up 442 yards. Just think if we looked just "average" in the eyes of Husker fans. A win would have been likely.

Game 3 - We beat Penn State. A team that obviously struggled (how do you think their fan base must feel this year). They are more talented, better coached, etc. (yada yada), but we pulled it off.

Game 4 - Illinois game.....This game was obviously ugly on virtually every level. No reason to rehash this one.

Game 5 - Another could have been an easy win game. And this is against our so-called her rival Iowa that finished 6-2 and most said heading in that we would lose by 30. One or two plays could have obviously changed the outcome.

Game 6 - A win over Purdue.....enough said.

Game 7 - I know, we've all head it. They (Minnesota) were missing tons of players, etc...but the final was 24-17 so regardless just a couple of big plays from a much different outcome.

Game 8 - A win over Rutgers. Obviously not impressive but nonetheless a victory. There is something about Nebraska that can't blow anyone out. Regardless everyone kept harping that Rutgers has a better coach, trending in the right direction, etc.....but NU prevailed.

Going back to my last statement about not being able to blow anyone out. I think most could be on the same page that we do have some talent on offense that is more than capable in making many more plays then they have so far. Is coaching the problem? Scheme (which i know goes back to coaching)? Confidence? Chemistry? Talent?

I, like others, think that if we could ever get just a little momentum/confidence going that this team just may turn that corner. I don't mean in the way UCF did and run the table but just get back to respectability, whether that is 8 wins, 9 wins, 10 wins. Let's say we open the season with a decent win against Illinois (which we better considering they just went through a coaching change. Talk about a slap in the face when we have been using that excuse for 3 years but continually get beat by teams in similar situations).

I know Buffalo had a good season, but once again it isn't a game Nebraska can lose. Obviously next is Oklahoma....I don't think we are ready to compete there yet and after a game against Michigan State we get Ohio St. again....but is there any game on the remaining schedule Nebraska can't win if they make even a slight improvement? Do I think the Huskers will go 10-2? No....but could they? I think if things clicked they could. Could they go 6-6 or worse? Well we know that answer as well.

I'm just saying....as terrible as our record has been that hope isn't all lost, just hard to find. I just wish more people would support and not be so negative. It is seen by recruits and I think it has to change their perception of the otherwise awesome Husker fanbase.
Your breakdown in spot on but the problem most people are having is after 3 years of saying we win this game if we clean these things up we are beginning to see that we just won't clean these things up. For our record to change it appears we will need to get good enough talent wise that we win in spite of these mistakes that are just going to happen every single game.

I totally agree....but I feel that inspire of all of our "issues" we are still able to compete or knock off teams that we inspire to be like. At some point they have to figure things out right? We know Frost knows much more than us fans, even though many would claim he doesn't. The question remains....why is it so tough to turn things around? I don't believe the inherited toxic program anymore. We are much too far in for that excuse.

I think NU must stay the course regardless. Unfortunately NU is in a bad spot. Continually firing coaches is a bad look, as is simply losing with the same coaches.
You're serious?? Name ONE P5 school (outside of maybe Vanderbilt) that would keep a losing coach around for 6 years. If you want to be Vanderbilt then by all means keep Frost around for 6 years with a losing record. Schools with football aspirations like Nebraska cut bait after 3 losing season like we've had especially when the product on the field continues to get worse.

You're serious?? Name ONE P5 school (outside of maybe Vanderbilt) that would keep a losing coach around for 6 years. If you want to be Vanderbilt then by all means keep Frost around for 6 years with a losing record. Schools with football aspirations like Nebraska cut bait after 3 losing season like we've had especially when the product on the field continues to get worse.
Vandy made it to a bowl game under Mason and still fired him.

This is where I think Nebraska fans are delusional. What does that even mean? Don't get me wrong, I'm here because I love the Huskers. I'm 43 years old and grew up with great Husker teams. I graduated high school in '95 and know what 94, 95, & 97 looked like. I also saw the other numerous years where NU was so close to getting to the top.

The reality is that to most college football fans, and all 18-22 year olds, Nebraska is irrelevant. Nebraska is a lower tier B1G team that struggles to beat Northwestern and Minny. Combine that with being in the middle of the country in an area that for all intents and purposes doesn't have that talent and it's going to be really tough to recruit and be consistently great.

This is why I'm willing to give HCSF 3 more years regardless of what those years look like.

Your comment about 18-22 year olds is exactly why you don't keep a guy around for 6 losing seasons. One of our selling points to recruits is the passionate fans, the game day atmosphere, etc. That will be gone with another 2-3 losing seasons. You already see noticeable pockets of empty seats throughout Memorial Stadium (well when fans were allowed in). Imagine bringing a recruit to a 90, 000 seat stadium with 50,000-60,000 people in it; not a good look. The fancy new football facilities aren't going to get built without donations and football revenue. As the boomers start going away and us Gen-Xers begin aging, the money to support the athletic department is going to come from Millennials and Gen Z. Those people are losing interest because the team isn't winning. 6 straight losing years and you might as well tear down Memorial Stadium and build more university parking (not really but you get my point).

Last edited:

Unfortunately I am serious. NU fired a coach that won 9 games per year and had a 67-27 record over 7 seasons. They then had a coach for 3 years with a .500 record who was fired and you'd now have Frost for 3-5 years being fired. For the record, I was 100% in agreement with firing Riley.

I would be in agreement with firing Frost had he come directly after Bo. Given the full history of the situation I don't think it's the right move. I honestly see a lot more downside to a termination than upside. Frost was the guy every team wanted when brought in. The only reason he's at NU is because of his connection. It's hard for me to predict NU's ability to make a great hire in the next go round.

Yep. TO himself fired Riley for the stated reason that he was holding Riley to the same standard to which TO was held. It was always TO’s understanding that he’d be fired if he had a single losing season, and he pointed out that Riley had had two of them.

The Five Million Dollar Man measures up poorly by that standard.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I am serious. NU fired a coach that won 9 games per year and had a 67-27 record over 7 seasons. They then had a coach for 3 years with a .500 record who was fired and you'd now have Frost for 3-5 years being fired. For the record, I was 100% in agreement with firing Riley.

I would be in agreement with firing Frost had he come directly after Bo. Given the full history of the situation I don't think it's the right move. I honestly see a lot more downside to a termination than upside. Frost was the guy every team wanted when brought in. The only reason he's at NU is because of his connection. It's hard for me to predict NU's ability to make a great hire in the next go round.

No need to rehash the Bo thing but Bo's record was not the reason he was fired. He didn't want to be here from 2010 on, Eichorst was a walking turd, and Perlman should have been a circus clown instead of Chancellor and all of that put together made a toxic environment.

A coaching carousel is not ideal but IMO its worse for the long-term health of the program to keep around a guy who can't win.

what type of change would cause him to leave? We were going to stop targeting him? Not likely? Perhaps make him out full time short yardage back?
I don’t pretend to know what kind of change or if changes were a part of his leaving. I said maybe.He was the mainstay on offense. I don’t get worried anymore when players leave,or graduate out of the program.It’s part of it. We weren’t winning a lot with the kids we have used lately. I wish the young man well.Thanks for your response.Keep the faith.GBR.

To me it is not even about wins and losses as a measure of progress anymore. I would just like to see disciplined, mistake free, game managed football next year coupled with an offense/defense/special teams play consistent with the quality of football played in the BIG. That in itself "might" be a sign of progress. Show that sort of progress and then let the players decide on the field the outcome of the game.

To me it is not even about wins and losses as a measure of progress anymore. I would just like to see disciplined, mistake free, game managed football next year coupled with an offense/defense/special teams play consistent with the quality of football played in the BIG. That in itself "might" be a sign of progress. Show that sort of progress and then let the players decide on the field the outcome of the game.
You may be waiting forever. Overall, Scott's teams have not been overly disciplined, "mistake free", or wonderfully game-managed. In the past, he has relied on pure athletes to overcome those shortcomings, which is the issue he faces today. He has one of the least athletic teams in the BIG while also being one of the sloppiest. It's a bad combo. He needs to change the way he coaches or he will sink. The odds of getting to 7 wins might be better than achieving the bolded part, so if you are a betting man.... ;)

Last edited:

It's only because Moos says that Frost will be our coach as long as Moos is the AD. Easy enough to fix THAT problem instead of sticking ourselves with five or more losing seasons instead of three or four.

Or maybe Moos will change his tune when he sees the writing on the wall, which it will be after another season of this garbage.

I am entitled to national championships!!!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back