• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trying to Understand

at a program like Nebraska
This is where I think Nebraska fans are delusional. What does that even mean? Don't get me wrong, I'm here because I love the Huskers. I'm 43 years old and grew up with great Husker teams. I graduated high school in '95 and know what 94, 95, & 97 looked like. I also saw the other numerous years where NU was so close to getting to the top.

The reality is that to most college football fans, and all 18-22 year olds, Nebraska is irrelevant. Nebraska is a lower tier B1G team that struggles to beat Northwestern and Minny. Combine that with being in the middle of the country in an area that for all intents and purposes doesn't have that talent and it's going to be really tough to recruit and be consistently great.

This is why I'm willing to give HCSF 3 more years regardless of what those years look like.

So, you stopped there?
Or did you hear about maybe making mistakes, having losses etc?

I just think things will get better, and its either up or down from here. Having hope, an not omitting it doesnt make you me or any fan right or wrong, but some find it preferable
I also think things are also going to get better; we are all as fans, the program, and it's leadership are going through immense growing pains. By no means was I implying that you were wrong and I know that you are not implying I am wrong, I just wanted to clarify the context of my first post.

I also think things are also going to get better; we are all as fans, the program, and it's leadership are going through immense growing pains. By no means was I implying that you were wrong and I know that you are not implying I am wrong, I just wanted to clarify the context of my first post.
It just gets snowballing sometimes. Ive seen posts about dumping Moos if SF loses again.
Hes the best new hire AD weve had this century, but hey, now that were in the mood, off with his head too.

Its all good, were both here to talk about better things, better times, better teams, lets hope we get one this year

This is where I think Nebraska fans are delusional. What does that even mean? Don't get me wrong, I'm here because I love the Huskers. I'm 43 years old and grew up with great Husker teams. I graduated high school in '95 and know what 94, 95, & 97 looked like. I also saw the other numerous years where NU was so close to getting to the top.

The reality is that to most college football fans, and all 18-22 year olds, Nebraska is irrelevant. Nebraska is a lower tier B1G team that struggles to beat Northwestern and Minny. Combine that with being in the middle of the country in an area that for all intents and purposes doesn't have that talent and it's going to be really tough to recruit and be consistently great.

This is why I'm willing to give HCSF 3 more years regardless of what those years look like.
Nebraska has excellent resources for the football program along with paying a coach 5 million a year. Compare MANY other programs to what resources are given to Husker football and it's place where winning is not only possilbe but something that should happen. How do you explain Bo's never winning less then 9 games? Was that all simply an accident or some pretty decent coaching?

I don't see any Husker fans DEMANDING conference titles and making the playoffs annually. I do see fans expecting to have winning seasons and perhaps some decent bowls. Is that delusional compared to say what ISU has to offer? If you are willing to have another 3 years of losing seasons you're going to have empty seats, very poor recruiting and perhaps setting the program permanently back to the 1950's imo. I suppose some believe we're reached the Kansas stage of football.

Nebraska has excellent resources for the football program along with paying a coach 5 million a year. Compare MANY other programs to what resources are given to Husker football and it's place where winning is not only possilbe but something that should happen. How do you explain Bo's never winning less then 9 games? Was that all simply an accident or some pretty decent coaching?

I don't see any Husker fans DEMANDING conference titles and making the playoffs annually. I do see fans expecting to have winning seasons and perhaps some decent bowls. Is that delusional compared to say what ISU has to offer? If you are willing to have another 3 years of losing seasons you're going to have empty seats, very poor recruiting and perhaps setting the program permanently back to the 1950's imo. I suppose some believe we're reached the Kansas stage of football.
I believe Bo was a great coach, but obviously had his issues. Look at what Northwestern has done recently, look at Oregon, etc. The arms race in CFB is real. I live in Louisville and can tell you that U of L has done some amazing things.

Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it something that "should" happen? I don't know.

I really believe that the answer right now is not to fire yet another head coach. The difference in getting a coach next year and in 3 more years to me is irrelevant.

It just gets snowballing sometimes. Ive seen posts about dumping Moos if SF loses again.
Hes the best new hire AD weve had this century, but hey, now that were in the mood, off with his head too.

Its all good, were both here to talk about better things, better times, better teams, lets hope we get one this year
I've actually never understood holding Moos accountable for Frost? He convinced Frost to come here after everyone, meaning everyone, wanted Frost.

I believe Bo was a great coach, but obviously had his issues. Look at what Northwestern has done recently, look at Oregon, etc. The arms race in CFB is real. I live in Louisville and can tell you that U of L has done some amazing things.

Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it something that "should" happen? I don't know.

I really believe that the answer right now is not to fire yet another head coach. The difference in getting a coach next year and in 3 more years to me is irrelevant.
Well on that we'll just agree to disagree. We need to start winning now not 3 years from now :thumbsup:

I've actually never understood holding Moos accountable for Frost? He convinced Frost to come here after everyone, meaning everyone, wanted Frost.
It's only because Moos says that Frost will be our coach as long as Moos is the AD. Easy enough to fix THAT problem instead of sticking ourselves with five or more losing seasons instead of three or four.

Or maybe Moos will change his tune when he sees the writing on the wall, which it will be after another season of this garbage.

Last edited:
I agree. He hired in Frost and Hoiberg, coaches that were considered homerun hires and had nearly universal support. Moos was almost untouchable at his peak. I'm shocked we haven't seen better results from either coach. I know basketball was and has been void of talent and I see some light at the end of that tunnel but we are flat out bad right now. I guess I have more confidence in Fred turning it around than I do Scott but that is only based on his history which is alot more relevant than one 12-0 season at UCF. At the end of the day its crazy to make a case against Moos unless you want to fault him for his unwavering support of SF.

Last edited:
3 of the FL guys tranferred back to non P5 schools in their backyard. They did it so extremely early in the process, they hadn't even had a chance to truly create relationships with their teammates. To me, that makes their departure a little easier to stomach than losing Wandale. But even losing him isn't that hard to grasp if you look at what his personal goals are, while adding in some of the family reasons. He wasn't looking like a first 3 round pick at this point. He feels he can become that in a different situation. He can also be closer to family. Good luck, kid, you have 2 years to show the league what you have. We'll see if you were right.

But there were 5 and I think 2 of them were bad eggs from what I've gathered from sources. That's what I mean about vetting. I understand Covid, being homesick, etc. I'm also taking WD at his word and wish him luck. It's most of the others I don't get and many of them were before Covid. I exclude JD as I put that one on JD. I just think they could vet kids better than they have. I think the lack of Drama for this last class and their apparent strong bonds are what we need. I also think they did a good job on the 2019 class. So it's either poor vetting or the coaches are changing what they promised the players when they were recruited. It can't be neither. All of these kids had reasons for transferring or they wouldn't be transferring.

I actually understand and can accept Wandale's transfer more than the rest as it seems to make sense for him and at least he gave it a chance here. The one rumor floating around was that his personal trainer didn't like us using him as a running back and beating up his body. I can see both sides of that and part of the problem is that we seem to recruit too many players that come in already damaged: AM, Thomkins,Nixon and others I can't specifically name right now. We also seem to get more than our fair share of injuries or being "nicked up"? Is this a training issue? Last year we had a rash of injuries for our PK's, this year we get a punter hurt (not in a game) are we giving them the wrong exercises? This year it seemed our whole RB room was "nicked up". Were they "nicked up" or were they just not good enough to go in?

I think HCSF needs to critically look at every thing they are doing from soup to nuts. Who they recruit? Strength training for skilled players, special teams, practice organization, practice schedule, play calling, roster management, etc., etc. If they continue what they're doing and how they're doing it, they will fail. I think after 3 years, we can throw just bad luck away. You make your own luck. I think he can do it, but the first step is at least admitting to yourself that you have to make changes.

Once you get past 3, you lost me.
I get it, but think what you just made out of my words vs whats really happened so far.

If it continues,even the coaching community will of course understand. Right now, I think that juries still out, and reaching into some unknown future with defined results wasnt what I was talking about now.

Next seasons extremely important, but a winning year, say 7-6 may not change potential coaches minds, but may solidify fans minds against SF

I'd take 7-6 right now. That would be progress

HCSF seems like a really likable coach. Physically, he looks like he could still play, and he seems to be just one of the guys when he is around his players. From all outside appearances, his players seem to like him. You would think that he would inspire a lot of loyalty.

And yet players keep leaving. It hurt when J.D. left last year because he was such a valuable player, but it was also surprising because he was almost certain to become Nebraska's all-time leading receiver had he stayed. But to me at least, Wandale leaving hurts a lot more. I loved his heart, and he seemed to represent everything that gave me hope for the future of the team. To me, he was in many ways the face of Nebraska football. Put bluntly, seeing him leave is the ultimate gut punch.

I understand that he wanted to be closer to his mother. But couldn't he have taken some time away from the team to be with her while she recovers from COVID-19 and still been back with the team for summer conditioning? More troubling from the perspective of the team, he seemed to not like how he was being used in the offense. I'm having trouble squaring that with my prior impression that he would do whatever he could to help the team. I remember watching how angry he was on the sideline at Purdue in 2019 when he couldn't be with offense on their last drive as they vainly tried to orchestrate a winning drive.

So I'm left wondering whether other unstated things are going on. I believe Troy Walters recruited Wandale - perhaps Robinson wasn't happy with the change to Lubick? Or perhaps there is a more significant systemic problem affecting the team more generally? I really wish I knew.
It’s been reported that it wasn’t just his mother. He stated it was also cause he didn’t see frost getting him to the next level.

Some here are suggesting 5 to 7 years of staying with Frost no matter what. Are you kidding me (not you in particular) I've said 50 freaken times on here he should get next season but if we don't see a lot of improvement (like at least .500) then it's time for some change imo. Folks want to ride another year and make 5 ok but I believe AFTER 4 years of failure (assumes a losing season) it's time for change. Any coach worth his salt that has a problem our HC got fired after 4 losing seasons in a row I don't want him.
Only way frost gets five years if he has another losing season is he would have to fire just about every coach on the team.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back