• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trying to Understand

Flat Water

Recruit
2 Year Member
HCSF seems like a really likable coach. Physically, he looks like he could still play, and he seems to be just one of the guys when he is around his players. From all outside appearances, his players seem to like him. You would think that he would inspire a lot of loyalty.

And yet players keep leaving. It hurt when J.D. left last year because he was such a valuable player, but it was also surprising because he was almost certain to become Nebraska's all-time leading receiver had he stayed. But to me at least, Wandale leaving hurts a lot more. I loved his heart, and he seemed to represent everything that gave me hope for the future of the team. To me, he was in many ways the face of Nebraska football. Put bluntly, seeing him leave is the ultimate gut punch.

I understand that he wanted to be closer to his mother. But couldn't he have taken some time away from the team to be with her while she recovers from COVID-19 and still been back with the team for summer conditioning? More troubling from the perspective of the team, he seemed to not like how he was being used in the offense. I'm having trouble squaring that with my prior impression that he would do whatever he could to help the team. I remember watching how angry he was on the sideline at Purdue in 2019 when he couldn't be with offense on their last drive as they vainly tried to orchestrate a winning drive.

So I'm left wondering whether other unstated things are going on. I believe Troy Walters recruited Wandale - perhaps Robinson wasn't happy with the change to Lubick? Or perhaps there is a more significant systemic problem affecting the team more generally? I really wish I knew.

Last edited:

HCSF seems like a really likable coach. Physically, he looks like he could still play, and he seems to be one of the guys when he is around his players. From all outside appearances, his players seem to like him. You would think that he would inspire a lot of loyalty.

And yet players keep leaving. It hurt when J.D. left last year because he was such a valuable player, but it was also surprising because he was almost certain to become Nebraska's all-time leading receiver had he stayed. But to me at least, Wandale leaving hurts a lot more. I loved his heart, and he seemed to represent everything that gave me hope for the future of the team. To me, he was in many ways the face of Nebraska football. Put bluntly, seeing him leave is the ultimate gut punch.

I understand that he wanted to be closer to his mother. But couldn't he have taken some time away from the team to be with her while she recovers from COVID-19 and still been back with the team for summer conditioning? More troubling from the perspective of the team, he seemed to not like how he was being used in the offense. I'm having trouble squaring that with my prior impression that he would do whatever he could to help the team. I remember watching how angry he was on the sideline at Purdue in 2019 when he couldn't be with offense on their last drive as they vainly tried to orchestrate a winning drive.

So I'm left wondering whether other unstated things are going on. I believe Troy Walters recruited Wandale - perhaps Robinson wasn't happy with the change to Lubick? Or perhaps there is a more significant systemic problem affecting the team more generally? I really wish I knew.

Difficult to disagree with anything you have stated here. I thought the same things, and have had the same questions, as had a lot of us. Between radio talk shows and incredibly cryptic responses from "insider information" posters, it is difficult to decipher what is going on. When you find out, lmk. Keep the faith #GBR

The emperor has no clothes. And it’s not like he can’t afford them.

Last edited:

HCSF seems like a really likable coach. Physically, he looks like he could still play, and he seems to be just one of the guys when he is around his players. From all outside appearances, his players seem to like him. You would think that he would inspire a lot of loyalty.

Appreciate your post.He played hard for us,but he wasn’t the coach. I do wish him well,but maybe the new OC let it be known that a change was coming. I understand his wanting to showcase his talents to nfl scouts,but the team comes first.Him complaining about how he was used should have been kept in house.Not trying to bad mouth WR.Just stating my opinion.Keep the faith.GBR.

I think the first mistake Frost made was bringing his entire staff with him when he came on board. Whatever chemistry he and his staff had with the players at UCF didn't translate for whatever reason. He should have gone after a few guys with more BIG 10 experience. There's no room here for on-the-job training and the players recognize they're in a rudderless ship. I always thought HCMR was too "nice" to get 100% effort from his players. Frost and his staff are too low key and their learning curve is to great to reach that plateau.

How bout
Where we these questions year one?
How bout, we were all excited for the future after year one.
Whats changed?
I know its hard to do, but there are differences.

How bout
Where we these questions year one?
How bout, we were all excited for the future after year one.
Whats changed?
I know its hard to do, but there are differences.
I remember some grumblings about Frost keeping his whole UCF staff. We seemed to improve at the end of year one and we all thought we were seeing progress. Than year 2 happened where we looked worse than year one. Then year 3 happened and again little to no improvement. In addition to not keeping talent or getting them to produce. Frost will be back next year but all signs point to it being his last.

I remember some grumblings about Frost keeping his whole UCF staff. We seemed to improve at the end of year one and we all thought we were seeing progress. Than year 2 happened where we looked worse than year one. Then year 3 happened and again little to no improvement. In addition to not keeping talent or getting them to produce. Frost will be back next year but all signs point to it being his last.
The qb position contained a future heisman watch list guy. Our defense wasnt good, we had two of our most prolific wrs on the team, and a rb who looked reborn.
The next year, we had a disgruntled top wr and thats about it.

I just think the over thinking on things ignores what it was vs what it is, and conflating the two, without contrast.
Our defense has improved, as some begrudgingly admit, others,not at all.
Calls for Chins head were common, til they werent, it looks like a monty python hangmans mob

I agree with Cyber... think he needs to make some house calls too.... with that said I still think Frost will continue to work the kinks out.... yes I know it sounds like I'm making light of where we are at but I'm not.... I do think the defense is headed in the right direction... our oline is very young and improved ... O believe that Frost is slowing figuring out how the big ten works and I'm certain he can recruit us out of where we are.... I do think a few coaching changes and or reassignments should be considered.... but I don't think whole sale change is the best solution....

Frost and Co are slow in figuring out the Big Ten, right now he's caught between what he wants to do, and what he needs to do and he's caught in no-mans land. It seems like a continuous loop that just keeps repeating itself. When it's year 3 and you're still trying to run a wideout reverse on the 2 yard line?............ at some point the light has to come on?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back