• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tri-Tip, redux

KingTM

All Big 10
5 Year Member
Ms. King had to work this weekend and I wanted to smoke something so I ran down to Meijer to see what they had. I wanted to do something I hadn't done in a while so I went with a tri-tip and damn, am I glad I did. I got a 3 pound roast, rubbed it with a mixture of salt, cracked black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and chipotle. I then wrapped it tightly with Saran wrap and chucked it in the fridge for about 2 hours. I pulled it out of the fridge and let it sit for about 30 minutes to bring it close to room temp and I smoked it over pecan (that's all I had on hand) for a little over one hour until it hit 125 IT, seared all sides over the hot coals and then and pulled it. I let it rest for about 30 minutes to gather its thoughts on its impending destruction, sliced it against the grain and built delicious sandwiches.

The end result was incredibly juicy and tender. I bought some ciabatta rolls (gotta have bread that will stand up to the meat) and made sandwiches. Toppings included lightly sautéed mushrooms and onions, provolone and a house made sour-cream based horseradish sauce. On the side I had spicy sweet potato fries. Oh, and I made some guac, just because.

This is going to become my go-to when short on time.

Ms. King had to work this weekend and I wanted to smoke something so I ran down to Meijer to see what they had. I wanted to do something I hadn't done in a while so I went with a tri-tip and damn, am I glad I did. I got a 3 pound roast, rubbed it with a mixture of salt, cracked black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and chipotle. I then wrapped it tightly with Saran wrap and chucked it in the fridge for about 2 hours. I pulled it out of the fridge and let it sit for about 30 minutes to bring it close to room temp and I smoked it over pecan (that's all I had on hand) for a little over one hour until it hit 125 IT, seared all sides over the hot coals and then and pulled it. I let it rest for about 30 minutes to gather its thoughts on its impending destruction, sliced it against the grain and built delicious sandwiches.

The end result was incredibly juicy and tender. I bought some ciabatta rolls (gotta have bread that will stand up to the meat) and made sandwiches. Toppings included lightly sautéed mushrooms and onions, provolone and a house made sour-cream based horseradish sauce. On the side I had spicy sweet potato fries. Oh, and I made some guac, just because.

This is going to become my go-to when short on time.

That's being short on time? Jesus

That's being short on time? Jesus

When I'm in the kitchen with a few tasty beverages, time gains the ability to expand and contract upon itself.

I'm the commish of a fantasy league and I'm hosting the draft party. That will be two days worth of on my feet prep and cook time. Not looking forward to that.

Last edited:

When I'm in the kitchen with a few tasty beverages, time gains the ability to expand and contract upon itself.

I'm the commish of a fantasy league and I'm hosting the draft party. That will be two days worth of on my feet prep and cook time. Not looking forward to that.
That sounds really good, I love cooking beef like that. I will typically go lower on the temp though to start, around 200-225.

Completely agree that while cooking with a beverage or 4, time becomes non-linear. After awhile, I sometimes get asked "um...when's dinner going to be done". I don't even realize I've been at it for a few hours.

You have a good guac recipe?

That sounds really good, I love cooking beef like that. I will typically go lower on the temp though to start, around 200-225.

Completely agree that while cooking with a beverage or 4, time becomes non-linear. After awhile, I sometimes get asked "um...when's dinner going to be done". I don't even realize I've been at it for a few hours.

You have a good guac recipe?

LOL, Ms. King knows by now to add at least an hour to whatever the announced dinner time is to be.

I don't know if you'd consider it good but I like my guacamole. I'm not really into the smooth stuff, I like mine to be more rustic so I don't chop everything as finely and I leave it a little chunky. Here's what I usually do (I usually make large quantities so you may want to reduce this a little):

6 Haas avacados (I use a potato masher on mine)
2 limes juiced
1 head of garlic, medium mince
2 small yellow onions, medium mince
2-4 jalapeños (depends on your desired heat level) seeded and medium mince
1 large handful of cilantro, chopped (some people don't like cilantro, I hated if for a long time but I've developed a taste for it, over time)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 - 2 tsp chipotle powder
3 -4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and medium mince

This makes enough for a descent sized party. I like to serve mine with blue corn tortilla chips to add a little more color.

Last edited:
LOL, Ms. King knows by now to add at least an hour to whatever the announced dinner time is to be.

I don't know if you'd consider it good but I like my guacamole. I'm not really into the smooth stuff, I like mine to be more rustic so I don't chop everything as finely and I leave it a little chunky. Here's what I usually do (I usually make large quantities so you may want to reduce this a little):

2 limes juiced
1 large handful of cilantro, chopped (some people don't like cilantro, I hated if for a long time but I've developed a taste for it, over time)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Kosher salt

This makes enough for a descent sized party. I like to serve mine with blue corn tortilla chips to add a little more color.

My family does the same thing with me on the time.

I'll give this a shot probably this weekend. Amount toned down by half, but I have several of those ingredients in my garden. Thanks.

BTW, is the potato masher an under-appreciated kitchen utensil or what?!

My family does the same thing with me on the time.

I'll give this a shot probably this weekend. Amount toned down by half, but I have several of those ingredients in my garden. Thanks.

BTW, is the potato masher an under-appreciated kitchen utensil or what?!

Cool, hope you like it. Personally, I could mow down a healthy sized bowl in short order.

And yes, the potato masher does not receive nearly enough recognition.

2 limes juiced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Kosher salt

mine is pretty much the same with a couple of exceptions. i dice the Roma's and place them in a colander with salt to drain as much water off them as i can while prepping the rest. i use a micro plane to fine mince the garlic to avoid chunks and more evenly distribute and it allows me to add to taste if necessary. a splash or 2 of worchestshire sauce and i use chili powder instead of chipotle and red onions instead of yellow onions.

mine is pretty much the same with a couple of exceptions. i dice the Roma's and place them in a colander with salt to drain as much water off them as i can while prepping the rest. i use a micro plane to fine mince the garlic to avoid chunks and more evenly distribute and it allows me to add to taste if necessary. a splash or 2 of worchestshire sauce and i use chili powder instead of chipotle and red onions instead of yellow onions.

Gotcha. Damnit, I had the refrigerator open and damned near grabbed the Worcestershire sauce but I thought it would darken it up too much. I'll have to try it, next time. I'm with you on the tomatoes, I strain mine as well. Nothing worse than a soggy tomato or mushy guac.

Gotcha. Damnit, I had the refrigerator open and damned near grabbed the Worcestershire sauce but I thought it would darken it up too much. I'll have to try it, next time. I'm with you on the tomatoes, I strain mine as well. Nothing worse than a soggy tomato or mushy guac.

salting them while straining will pull most of the moisture out you just have to add tomatoes to the mix before salting Quac so you don't over salt. the Worcestershire sauce gives it that umami hint that makes people go hmmmmm what is that flavor.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back