• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trev may not be allowed to choose anyone other than MJ...

Mentally Red

Got Huskers on my mind
5 Year Member
...even if he thinks that other candidates are better. The fans may not allow it. It will be the same dynamic we saw with SF: He couldn't fire him until it became painfully obvious that he was a failure, because too many fans would have been upset about firing a legacy. No matter how many games we win this year, I think a lot of fans are going to love MJ and want him to stay. Heck, I'm starting to feel it myself. Trev may have to stick with him even if he thinks there are better options outside. I just hope the year breaks hard one way or the other. If we end up around .500, it's going to cause a lot of turmoil.

These things are a crapshoot to the point that I think we have as much of a shot with MJ as Leipold or anyone else. What if MJ brought Orgeron in as recruiting coordinator and roped in some big name assistants? I mean, with the transfer portal you can become a had commodity in one off season.

But an AD usually wants to pick the consensus “best” candidate he could get and MJ’s resume is still very thin. Maybe Trev has the guts to do it if he wants, but I doubt it. I think there are more proven commodities out there. Not to say they would succeed and Mickey wouldn’t, it’s just that if Mickey were to not succeed it would be easy to blame Trev for hiring someone with such little experience.

That said, these days even if you make the home run hire, if it fails, the AD is going to be fired too (see Moos) so you might as well go with you own gut. Being able to say I told you so is a lot more rewarding than saying “but I picked the best guy.”

Last edited:
Alberts doesn't strike me as someone who gets caught up in sentiment. He kept and then fired Frost on his own schedule, not that of the fans. He made moves at UNO that he saw would better protect the school's long term success in spite of fans' immediate wishes. I take Trev at his word that Joseph could earn the job, but the necessary "success" is highly unlikely with NU's remaining schedule.

I really don't get it. If Mickey played college football anywhere else at this point there would be limited interest in hiring Mickey Joseph as head coach. He has won one game as a head coach and zero games as a coordinator. He has never shown that he can build a program. Why is there a rush to crown him the head coach with such a limited sample size? Let it play out! I know it sounds like I am anti-Joseph, and I am really not. By all accounts, he is an ace recruiter and an elite WR coach my question is does making him the head coach take his attention away from and dilute the areas that he excels at? :Timeout:

These things are a crapshoot to the point that I think we have as much of a shot with MJ as Leipold or anyone else. What if MJ brought Orgeron in as recruiting coordinator and roped in some big name assistants? I mean, with the transfer portal you can become a had commodity in one off season.

But an AD usually wants to pick the consensus “best” candidate he could get and MJ’s resume is still very thin. Maybe Trev has the guts to do it if he wants, but I doubt it. I think there are more proven commodities out there. Not to say they would succeed and Mickey wouldn’t, it’s just that if Mickey were to not succeed it would be easy to blame Trev for hiring someone with such little experience.

That said, these days even if you make the home run hire, if it fails, the AD is going to be fired too (see Moos) so you might as well go with you own gut. Being able to say I told you so is a lot more rewarding than saying “but I picked the best guy.”

I don't think we want Coach 'O'.

I really don't get it. If Mickey played college football anywhere else at this point there would be limited interest in hiring Mickey Joseph as head coach. He has won one game as a head coach and zero games as a coordinator. He has never shown that he can build a program. Why is there a rush to crown him the head coach with such a limited sample size? Let it play out! I know it sounds like I am anti-Joseph, and I am really not. By all accounts, he is an ace recruiter and an elite WR coach my question is does making him the head coach take his attention away from and dilute the areas that he excels at? :Timeout:
Bo Pelini played 0 snaps at Nebraska and had been a DC for 1 year (the year Frank was fired) won the Alamo Bowl and I remember the entire Alamo Dome chanting “we want Bo” after they won the game.

Just sharing that just because he played here doesn’t mean that’s the only reason some fans want him

I'm confident TA will hire the BEST coach he can hire! That's his job and to listen to what the fans want would be dereliction of duty imo. TA isn't someone imo that can be bullied nor pushed around by public opinion. I'd be extremely disappointed if he was making any decision based on which way the wind was blowing especially from the fans. He was hired to make the tough decisions and not abrogate those decisions to anyone except himself.

Last edited:
I don't think we want Coach 'O'.
If he was an analyst or something low profile I bet it would work. We've already shown you can get away with those shenanigans in Lincoln for five years and no one will say a word.

...even if he thinks that other candidates are better. The fans may not allow it. It will be the same dynamic we saw with SF: He couldn't fire him until it became painfully obvious that he was a failure, because too many fans would have been upset about firing a legacy. No matter how many games we win this year, I think a lot of fans are going to love MJ and want him to stay. Heck, I'm starting to feel it myself. Trev may have to stick with him even if he thinks there are better options outside. I just hope the year breaks hard one way or the other. If we end up around .500, it's going to cause a lot of turmoil.
Joseph got smoked by Oklahoma and beat a very bad Indiana team. Let's not go back to spring talk of how great we're gong to be.

I dont think thats the case. ADTA will choose who he believs is best for Nebraska to be the best be it IHCMJ or someone else. He made tough decisions at U of O in wake of agrey fans. Nothing against us as fans as most of us know the game but we are not being paid to make the choice.

lol just LOL.....

the fans dont get a say in who the HC is, if that were the case, urb would already been announced. just relax and let the process play out and we can then all ponder if it was the right one.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back