• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Transfer portal

Sounds like the 4 from Ohio State hitting the portal is all about new recruits coming in so no scholarships and no money, which I assume mean NIL money, so the 4 seniors leave.

Wow, and a fifth OSU senior to Clemson. All five will be in their Covid 5th year next year, and the OSU coach made the decision to honor her scholarship commitments to the incoming freshman, even though it means passing on 5 starters including two all Americans and an all conference player. Good on OSU and their coach. (Texas could hAve probably kept them with NIL money).

Wow, and a fifth OSU senior to Clemson. All five will be in their Covid 5th year next year, and the OSU coach made the decision to honor her scholarship commitments to the incoming freshman, even though it means passing on 5 starters including two all Americans and an all conference player. Good on OSU and their coach. (Texas could hAve probably kept them with NIL money).
I'm guessing if someone comes up with the NIL money we can get a setter.

Or if someone else leaves. John Cook wants to win the Big Ten next year and his two options at setter are a mediocre-looking Kennedi Orr and true freshman Bergen Reilly. I can't imagine Cook is satisfied with that, and I won't be surprised if he looks to the transfer portal for other options.

Mediocre-looking is fair. I'd say she's highly skilled but undisciplined; not surprised she rides the pine a lot. Perhaps she could be a great hitter if Cook could find another setter.

Sounds like the 4 from Ohio State hitting the portal is all about new recruits coming in so no scholarships and no money, which I assume mean NIL money, so the 4 seniors leave.

Good that both the player and the coach clarified the reason.

I have mixed feelings about this, even though Nebraska's NIL money for volleyball 'should' be pretty high compared to other schools and this would be an advantage.

Thinking how this applies to football... Let's say Nike wants to market the Oregon football players and provides enough NIL money for the stars that they can afford their own college + major amounts of added money. Would those players play without a scholarship, allowing the team to pick up the next tier of really good players on scholarships? Those players would otherwise have chosen other schools if the Nike stars had scholarships from Oregon.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about this, even though Nebraska's NIL money for volleyball 'should' be pretty high compared to other schools and this would be an advantage.

Thinking how this applies to football... Let's say Nike wants to market the Oregon football players and provides enough NIL money for the stars that they can afford their own college + major amounts of added money. Would those players play without a scholarship, allowing the team to pick up the next tier of really good players on scholarships? Those players would otherwise have chosen other schools if the Nike stars had scholarships from Oregon.
I think this will happen — where NIL at some schools will equal a full ride scholarship, and they essentially will get around those limits. schools without much NIL will be limited to the scholarship limit. I don’t know for sure, but I think that existed on the Texas volleyball team this year.

I think this will happen — where NIL at some schools will equal a full ride scholarship, and they essentially will get around those limits. schools without much NIL will be limited to the scholarship limit. I don’t know for sure, but I think that existed on the Texas volleyball team this year.
Texas had 18 players on their roster this year. Nebraska had 14, one of which was on a basketball scholarship. I think that creates a huge competitive advantage for the schools that can afford it. It reminds me of the old days of college football when there were no scholarship limits, so the big schools just recruited all the players they could. Even if they didn't play all those players, they could keep those players from playing for other teams.

If we want to remain competitive, we have to embrace the new reality. We may not like it because the sport becomes more mercenary in nature, but we have to accept it. In John Cook's last podcast he talked about how he didn't like the changes resulting from NIL, and he thought one way to reduce the competitive advantage of having more players would be to reduce the number of substitutions per set.

Texas had 18 players on their roster this year. Nebraska had 14, one of which was on a basketball scholarship. I think that creates a huge competitive advantage for the schools that can afford it. It reminds me of the old days of college football when there were no scholarship limits, so the big schools just recruited all the players they could. Even if they didn't play all those players, they could keep those players from playing for other teams.

In a sense, the NIL money allows teams to get around the scholarship limits. Those players essentially become walk-ons. Some possibilities:

= have an overall roster limit. walk-ons count against it as well as scholarship players. This hurts our traditional football walk-on program.

= have the NIL rules state that a player receiving NIL money above the cost of the scholarship counts against the scholarship limit for that sport.

Otherwise, it won't be long before all of the best players are "non-scholarship". Maybe there are already some rules in place on this, I really don't know.

In a sense, the NIL money allows teams to get around the scholarship limits. Those players essentially become walk-ons. Some possibilities:

= have an overall roster limit. walk-ons count against it as well as scholarship players. This hurts our traditional football walk-on program.

= have the NIL rules state that a player receiving NIL money above the cost of the scholarship counts against the scholarship limit for that sport.

Otherwise, it won't be long before all of the best players are "non-scholarship". Maybe there are already some rules in place on this, I really don't know.
Those are all good ideas. Another might to institute an "NIL cap", sort of like the salary cap in professional football. It could prevent schools from just buying all the best players, which is what is happening now.

Those are all good ideas. Another might to institute an "NIL cap", sort of like the salary cap in professional football. It could prevent schools from just buying all the best players, which is what is happening now.

1f07e3ba-74fb-46b5-ad6b-20e62e311da9_text.gif

In addition to Ohio State, Minnesota’s coaching change has caused some Minnesota stars to enter the portal. Their all conference hitter Jenna Wenas has transferred to Texas, and their 6 foot 7 inch middle blocker Carter booth is still in the portal. It seems like players who can change schools now are transferring now, and those who need to stay through spring to graduate (Podraza) might as well take their time and see how the spring plays out.

EDIT: Carter Booth is a Christmas Day transfer to Wisconsin. 6’7” MB starter for Minn transferring to the arch rival. Minnesota fans are outraged. And Wisconsin will have a front line that is 6’9”, next to 6’7!!! They return every one else of note, and will remain a very tough out for the Huskers.

Last edited:
I'm a little bit surprised we still haven't heard anything about Podraza. Three questions I have are: Has NU contacted Podraza? If yes, has Podraza shown interest in coming to NU? Finally, would she insist on coming in as a scholarship player or would she be willing to accept an NIL deal to cover her tuition/room and board/etc.?

I imagine NU would be attractive to her because I think she would beat out both Kennedi Orr and true freshman Bergen Reilly. With a setter like Podraza combined with the other players coming back (and now Beason), we could very well be the pre-season no.1 and favorites to win the Big Ten.

Last edited:

I'm a little bit surprised we still haven't heard anything about Podraza. Three questions I have are: Has NU contacted Podraza? If yes, has Podraza shown interest in coming to NU? Finally, would she insist on coming in as a scholarship player or would she be willing to accept an NIL deal to cover her tuition/room and board/etc.?

I imagine NU would be attractive to her because I think she would beat out both Kennedi Orr and true freshman Bergen Reilly. With a setter like Podraza combined with the other players coming back (and now Beason), we could very well be the pre-season no.1 and favorites to win the Big Ten.
I simply think we have to get a transfer setter. I’m high on Reilly and think she can start as a freshman, I just have painful memories of thinking the same about Orr.

If we don’t get a transfer setter, the 6-2 is off he table.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back