• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Transfer portal

Neither Maggie or Massie is on VB scholarship. I believe you have the five incoming, plus Orr, Lauenstein, Batenhurst, Krause, Rodriguez, Allick, and Hayden Kubick as the 12 scholarships. VB is a headcount sport, so they have to be full scholarships and that is all there is.
Now, noting that NCAA D1 WBB has 15 scholarships in a sport with 5 starters, Cook has been pushing for a 13th scholarship. No idea if there is enough support for that change.
I imagine he would like to see how the spring goes with the early enrollee frosh setter and DS before deciding on transfers, but he may not have that timing.
Edit: Also of note is that no one for next year will be a senior, and Cook has 3 commits for the 2024 class. So something has to give. (Will NIL allow someone to profit enough that they can turn back a scholarship?)

Last edited:

I expect Cook will give Bergen Reilly a long look during spring practices. (It's great that she is enrolling in January) If Cook thinks she isn't ready for primetime and Orr still looks weak, then he likely will look to the portal. What Orr does at that point is anyone's guess. If Cook tries to pick up a DS from the portal too does that mean someone else will have to lose a scholarship? Is Maisie Boesiger on scholarship?
As I understand it, we are good right now on scholarships after Evans left. Any new scholarships would require somebody else to leave. Maisie is not on scholarship.

As I understand it, we are good right now on scholarships after Evans left. Any new scholarships would require somebody else to leave. Maisie is not on scholarship.
We are ok now. But if Cook finds someone in the transfer portal that he likes and is interested in coming here, we don't have a scholarship unless someone else leaves.

NCAA rule— schools can have 6 scholarships for beach volleyball and indoor volleyball schools can have their indoor scholarship players play beach, but beach scholarship players can’t play on the indoor team. Weird, but probably needed to avoid disadvantages to schools that don’t do beach.

Hope they go after her!

Holy crap! She is the best setter in the B1G, maybe in the whole country. Everyone will be going after her. This will be interesting to watch. If we don't get her, I hope she doesn't go to another B1G team like Wisconsin or Minnesota.

My best guess is she wants to go somewhere she can play for a national championship. That probably gives us a good shot at her. If not us, maybe Texas or Louisville would be good destinations for her.

Last edited:

Looks like all of OSU’s senior players are trying the portal. Podraza, Gonzalez, Murr, and Moore are listed. With players having a Covid year, I think many teams have scholarship issues and people will move on for their last year (like Caffee did).
Caffee didn't leave because of scholarship issues. Cook said he had a scholarship reserved for her. She left because she got a better NIL deal from Texas. But yeah, the COVID year thing will play havoc with many programs.

What they really need is to expand the number of scholarships for volleyball. As was mentioned above, it's just crazy that a sport like women's basketball can have 15 scholarships (with 5 players on the court at any one time), yet volleyball only gets 12 (with 6 players on the court at any one time).

Caffee didn't leave because of scholarship issues. Cook said he had a scholarship reserved for her. She left because she got a better NIL deal from Texas. But yeah, the COVID year thing will play havoc with many programs.

What they really need is to expand the number of scholarships for volleyball. As was mentioned above, it's just crazy that a sport like women's basketball can have 15 scholarships (with 5 players on the court at any one time), yet volleyball only gets 12 (with 6 players on the court at any one time).
Actually, after Caffee left Cook clarified that she didn’t have a scholarship but an NIL deal that was thought satisfactory. I think he said that in one of the Cook podcasts. That whole thing was awkwardly dealt with.

But to the point, Wisconsin has both of its setters back at this point, so taking Podraza might present problems for them. I think Podraza will be in OSU through spring to graduate, so it probably makes sense for her to let the portal thing play out till May. Should be interesting.

Actually, after Caffee left Cook clarified that she didn’t have a scholarship but an NIL deal that was thought satisfactory. I think he said that in one of the Cook podcasts. That whole thing was awkwardly dealt with.

But to the point, Wisconsin has both of its setters back at this point, so taking Podraza might present problems for them. I think Podraza will be in OSU through spring to graduate, so it probably makes sense for her to let the portal thing play out till May. Should be interesting.
Yes, I saw that Cook podcast where he talked about Caffey. According to Cook, it was a long, drawn-out affair but eventually NU agreed to save a scholarship for Caffey though it meant they would have to forfeit a scholarship the following year. It was at that point they didn't hear back from Caffey until she made her announcement she was transferring to Texas. I got the impression Cook was a little miffed about the whole deal, though all we know is his side of the story. I'm sure Caffey would tell a different story.

I imagine Podraza will give NU a close look. We have three things in our favor: We don't have an established setter coming back; we have most of the pieces in place to make a run at a final four appearance next year; we have a history of getting good NIL deals for our players. Oh, and we have a history of playing transfer players right away, i.e. Kaitlyn Hord.

Last edited:

I am old and slow...we have no scholarship to offer a portal pickup, correct?
Correct. But Schwartzenbach and Caffee didn’t portal until May and August, so who knows what might happen during or after Spring. I assume the coaches stay in touch with top portal folks just in case.

I’d do everything legally possible to get Podraza. If we got her, Orr would have no doubt that it was time to move on.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back