• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Transfer portal

We’ve simply got to get a transfer setter. Orr isn’t likely to magically turn a corner. That eliminates the option of a 6-2. It also makes us totally dependent on a freshman. While I’m ok with the latter, having more than one option is always better.
We will see. I don’t think the portal has a better setter than Orr. And I do think she can turn a corner. The spring will be interesting.

We will see. I don’t think the portal has a better setter than Orr. And I do think she can turn a corner. The spring will be interesting.
Like HuskerDB I have my doubts about Orr. The thing that worries me is she didn't improve last year. I thought that as the season progressed and she got more playing time and experience, she would get better. However, I didn't see any improvement in her play. Coach Cook clearly didn't see any improvement either because late in the year when Hames was injured and we needed a setter he went with the 5'9" walk-on Anni Evans. That says it all for me.

I think if Reilly either gets hurt or doesn't pan out we will struggle this season.

Last edited:
Like HuskerDB I have my doubts about Orr. The thing that worries me is she didn't improve last year. I thought that as the season progressed and she got more playing time and experience, she would get better. However, I didn't see any improvement in her play. Coach Cook clearly didn't see any improvement either because late in the year when Hames was injured and we needed a setter he went with the 5'9" walk-on Anni Evans. That says it all for me.

I think if Reilly either gets hurt or doesn't pan out we will struggle this season.
If I remember right Cook talked about Orr being concerned about re-injury when she came back. I thought he felt she needed playing time to gain confidence she would not re-injure herself.

So to me it seemed more like a mental thing then a physical thing, and with more playing time and practice time she would get her confidence back and it could be overcome. We see the same thing with a lot of football players that come back from injury and play tentative for a while till they get comfortable. That being said, some never get comfortable again so that may still be possible.

I see that Wisconsin picked up Temi-Thomas Ailara from Northwestern, in addition to Murr from Ohio State. Wisconsin will be a darned good team next year...probably the favorites to win the Big Ten again and maybe even pre-season no.1 nationally. Penn State had some nice additions as well. At the end of the season Penn State was playing about as well as anyone. Minnesota, Ohio State, and Purdue will again be tough.

If we don't get much better play from our setter(s) and improve our serving I wouldn't be surprised to see NU finish no better than 3rd or 4th in the Big Ten this year.

I see that Wisconsin picked up Temi-Thomas Ailara from Northwestern, in addition to Murr from Ohio State. Wisconsin will be a darned good team next year...probably the favorites to win the Big Ten again and maybe even pre-season no.1 nationally. Penn State had some nice additions as well. At the end of the season Penn State was playing about as well as anyone. Minnesota, Ohio State, and Purdue will again be tough.

If we don't get much better play from our setter(s) and improve our serving I wouldn't be surprised to see NU finish no better than 3rd or 4th in the Big Ten this year.
Yea, TTA on a team like Wisconsin clearly makes them the favorite in the B1G, and Penn State killed it in the portal— and needed to. Stanford looks like they are back, and Texas looks good. But we have the number 1 recruits and frosh can be great right away, or not. So it will be interesting and spring will be important as half our team is new.

The offseason has officially begun for the Nebraska volleyball team. Junior setter Anni Evans entered the transfer portal on Saturday as a graduate transfer, according to an NU athletic department spokesperson. She has two seasons of eligibility remaining.
Anni Evans to San Diego. Good for her. She gets to pursue her preferred degree and continue to play at an excellent volleyball program.

Yea, TTA on a team like Wisconsin clearly makes them the favorite in the B1G, and Penn State killed it in the portal— and needed to. Stanford looks like they are back, and Texas looks good. But we have the number 1 recruits and frosh can be great right away, or not. So it will be interesting and spring will be important as half our team is new.
Stanford has all their starters back from last year. I suspect they will likely be the pre-season #1 with Wisconsin at #2. I think John Cook is right about the proliferation of great players everywhere. It seems like almost everyone has at least one really good player. Lots of parity out there, which makes coaching the biggest difference between good teams and great teams.

Last edited:
Anni Evans to San Diego. Good for her. She gets to pursue her preferred degree and continue to play at an excellent volleyball program.
Great move for her. And with their 1st team All American setter from last year gone, Anni may have a shot at starting. For sure she won’t be the third setter.

Last edited:

Stanford has all their starters back from last year. I suspect they will likely be the pre-season #1 with Wisconsin at #2. I think John Cook is right about the proliferation of great players everywhere. It seems like almost everyone has at least one really good player. Lots of parity out there, which makes coaching the biggest difference between good teams and great teams.
Yea, it seems like Wisconsin, Texas and Stanford will be top 3 preseason in some order. The Huskers, Penn State, Pitt, Louisville and Oregon seem to be the other teams people think will be in the next group.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back