• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Transfer Portal to become a Major Part of our Recruiting Going Forward?

nems

He Who Shall Not Be Named
20 Year Member
There seems to be a theme of the rich get richer in the NCAA over the past 25 years. The explosion of TV seems to have greatly benefited teams in the South and teams with talent rich 100 mile radius. Schools have been able to stockpile talent. With the transfer portal, talent stockpiling isn't the same. Kids have freedom.

As a $$ rich program with tradition, we should be an appealing destination for the players entering the portal. The key is our coaches embracing the portal. Perhaps necessity has been the mother of invention with the new staff needing to bring in kids fast? This year the portal has certainly been a plus for us.

It seems to me that we should make the portal a key part of our recruiting efforts going forward. Of course we need to build talent as much as possible through the traditional recruiting cycle, but we aren't dominating that venue. The transfer portal on the other hand is spot where we can continuously be a top school and perhaps close the gap.

As we gain them from the portal, it's inevitable we'll lose them as well.
Our coaches are honest, and it's no different in the pros, they're always out looking for players replacements.
While this is somewhat against a "team" perspective, who doesnt want to play on the best team?

I maintained for years that we needed to be more active in the JUCO market. This new paradigm is what we need to really do well...so far so good.

I agree on wishing we were historically more active with Juco kids.

I believe the portal will be better since these will be players with FBS experience. More reasons to embrace it.

I agree on wishing we were historically more active with Juco kids.

I believe the portal will be better since these will be players with FBS experience. More reasons to embrace it.
Another plus is they are players that have already used their one time transfer waiver.

Absolutely will be huge going forward. Every school should have a handful of guys who only deal with scouting and monitoring the portal. It's too big and important to have coaches or other HS recruiting staffers pulling double duty.

100% agree

The portal is here to stay in my opinion. We adjusted well this year but I have no idea how our high school recruiting was affected by it. Tough balancing act.

The real battles are going to be over NIL, and quite possibly gambling.

It seems that the trend is to a pro sport at the college level with the players hardly associated with the colleges at all.

Hope I'm wrong.

I have looked for Damien Jackson in the transfer portal. Is he in the portal or not. I look at the 247 portal to get my info and I have not heard anything about him there or here,

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back