• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Transfer portal Speculation

We see it regularly in just about every game these days. It's not a coaching issue as much as it's an NCAA issue. We aren't seeing much in the way of glaring 'spearing' hits, it's more of the ancillary helmet to helmet hits that don't have a great deal of malicious intent.

I agree the rule should take into account INTENT.

I agree the rule should take into account INTENT.
And we both know it's hard to know what's in a person's heart or mind, but I think we can let the officials use some of their own judgement. Seeing how the games have changed with players being disqualified is just wrong. I seriously doubt Cincinnati loses if they don't lose their starting tackle. He was stonewalling Georgia defenders, but his replacement, a freshman, was beaten repeatedly, got at least 2 or 3 false starts, and forced Cinci to completely change how they were playing. There needs to be some thought in how to protect players, not just knee jerking to appease the PC world.

Intent can be discerned.

It does not occur in the course of a normal tackle. But intent to injure can be discerned on those earhole hits on KO/PR's, and receivers getting hit over the middle.

There was a day when a receiver going over the middle had to be fearless. Now, they can barely be touched.

Last edited:

According to ESPN radio Wilson left Kentucky because they switched to more of a QB running offense.
Wilson wants to be in an offense that allows him to showcase his passing skills with hopes to move up to the next level.
That would seem to weigh against coming to Lincoln.
Have you seen him play at Kentucky, passing skills and Wilson should not be used in the same sentence.

Wait a minute.....

Are you saying we have a quarterback who can consistently throw a swing pass of bubble screen?

I swear I thought I saw all the games this year, buuuuttt....

You know, LM actually threw a pretty good swing/bubble. I remember watching the NWestern game and seeing him hit one in stride. Hitting that throw made me think that he might be the answer, and swung me to his side as the starter. Seeing him try to make any pass further than 15 air yards is what gave me pause.

You know, LM actually threw a pretty good swing/bubble. I remember watching the NWestern game and seeing him hit one in stride. Hitting that throw made me think that he might be the answer, and swung me to his side as the starter. Seeing him try to make any pass further than 15 air yards is what gave me pause.

Well, and that first play "lateral" in the Illinois game.

The comment I responded to was about wide receivers. But yes, I get the concern at RB if Mills doesn’t return. I think we are looking at the transfer portal for an opportunity to add depth to the RB room. I also think Scott and Morris will be very good they are only true freshmen and Morris dealt with injury and COVID so he didn’t get to play this season. Thompkins can be all conference if he can ever stay healthy. That’s a big if unfortunately. I feel terrible for that kid. Johnson should add weight and be a solid option. And I expect to see McCaffrey used at RB some in 2021 as well. We’ll be fine at RB. But a high level transfer would be welcome, especially if Mills heads for the league.
I keep seeing talk of Mills going to the NFL, and this isn't directed at you Ted, but I don't get it with the limited sample size he's had plus injuries. I can't imagine him getting drafted and best case UDFA. He's the one I would've thought would have the biggest benefit of coming back to put together a full season. His first year here wasn't very good until the last couple games. I really like him at RB so not trying to dis him. Am I missing something?

I keep seeing talk of Mills going to the NFL, and this isn't directed at you Ted, but I don't get it with the limited sample size he's had plus injuries. I can't imagine him getting drafted and best case UDFA. He's the one I would've thought would have the biggest benefit of coming back to put together a full season. His first year here wasn't very good until the last couple games. I really like him at RB so not trying to dis him. Am I missing something?
Nope. I think you are right on. He doesn’t have enough on film to get drafted imo. He would likely be an UDFA. I do think he’s capable of being a pretty solid NFL running back. There are teams trotting out RBs who aren’t as good as him imo. But his concern or consideration has to be his age. He’s 24 now and will be 25 next December. So he may want to take his chances as an UDFA. It’s a tough call. I would probably advise him to return for another season. He’s good enough to post a 1000 yard season and potentially get drafted in 2022 if he can stay healthy. But I will understand if he opts to take his shot at the league.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back