• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Toughness

While in general I agree with you that winning feeds on itself, I don't buy your example here. The simple answer to the question you ask in RED is "What is blood clots for Tommie Frazier, Alex." In 93, we were screwed out of the MNC...the 94 team already knew they were unbeatable.
I remember when Miami went up 10-0.... the body language of our players was..."screw this, we need to get our crap together and beat these SOB's". The body language of a champion. The rest is history.

I remember when Miami went up 10-0.... the body language of our players was..."screw this, we need to get our crap together and beat these SOB's". The body language of a champion. The rest is history.

That final quarter or so...remembering how close we had been, at times, for a decade or so, only to be cruelly taunted and disappointed...was a testament to resolve and rising up to control destiny, rather than leave it to the Fates. Unfinished Business. Perfection.

Last edited:
While in general I agree with you that winning feeds on itself, I don't buy your example here. The simple answer to the question you ask in RED is "What is blood clots for Tommie Frazier, Alex." In 93, we were screwed out of the MNC...the 94 team already knew they were unbeatable.
Yeah that could well be a part of it as well. Let's call it a little from column A and a little from Column B. :thumbsup:

True story.

What's interesting is that I don't think Osborne talked a lot about winning games. I think the key is winning individual battles, doing your job better than the opponent. You set other goals (avg yards per carry, turnovers, pancakes), and then find that winning the battles and achieving your smaller goals results in wins.

But the competition absolutely has to matter. There must be performance expectations. There will be days when you face an opponent that's just better than you, and that's ok... as long as you use it as a learning experience to get better. Losing to inferior opponents, and losing ugly to ANY opponent, needs to become a rarity. That's an attitude an culture thing, and our head coach gets it.

I'm really excited about the upcoming season. I don't know if the culture has been changed completely, but I think we're close. We should challenge for the West, and then anything can happen in a conference championship game...
Although I agree that winning feeds upon itself, I don't believe Akron would have had any Factor on the season's record
you could try to make that argument but you would definitely be going against conventional wisdom. On multiple fronts.
1. Scientific studies have shown that once you start winning you will continue to do so. https://www.businessinsider.com/the-science-of-why-winners-keep-winning-2015-9 So maybe winning the first game gets us mentally over the next few close games and then it continues.
2. Also you could argue that the fact that we did not win early is part of the reason some folks did not buy in quicker.
3. Last the fact that we missed our first game means that we did not have the first to second game bump most teams experience. The Puffs did not have that same delay. So they had film of themselves to go look at and improve prior to playing us.
Your article is missing one very important point. There's no mention of a complete overhaul of a roster due to the need to establish a new culture. Although I agree with the article, I don't necessarily think it applies to the situation we were in the beginning of last year. We can agree to disagree

Although I agree that winning feeds upon itself, I don't believe Akron would have had any Factor on the season's record
Your article is missing one very important point. There's no mention of a complete overhaul of a roster due to the need to establish a new culture. Although I agree with the article, I don't necessarily think it applies to the situation we were in the beginning of last year. We can agree to disagree
Don't get me wrong I do not think it would have been enough to overcome the UM loss. I think it may have mentally made a difference that "MAY" have pushed us over the top for some of the other three September games.

Anybody else notice Damian Jackson in the back of the first boat coming in, steering? I'm glad we have him. He's a good influence.

Damian Jackson needs to lead the team out of the tunnel for each game in 2019.

7660638.jpg

Last edited:
Have we seen any stats on lifting? Anyway to measure progress from last year? I think I’m specifically wondering about the O and D line. Will they be able to hold their own this year given they have had two years in the program?

Have we seen any stats on lifting? Anyway to measure progress from last year? I think I’m specifically wondering about the O and D line. Will they be able to hold their own this year given they have had two years in the program?

I THINK (IIRC) Boyd Epley wanted to make the athletic performance index numbers public again?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back