• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Toughness

The numbers show that, so far, Frost's teams typically lose the relatively meaningless time-of-possession (TOP) stat, and narrowly lose the number of plays-per-game stat. Until we start running more plays-per-game than the opponents, our defense will not be a dominant force. The number of plays is determined by both stellar defensive AND offensive play.

IMO, the speed of the plays/drives is irrelevant (to defensive fatigue), instead, defenses are worn down based on the sheer volume of plays. If we can get the talent on defense to make big plays and stop drives early while developing an offense that can score frequently, we will start running more plays per game than our opponents and start seeing our defense stay fresh while the opponents defense will wilt. That is what Frost must focus on, if he wants us to dominate on both sides of the ball...it is possible to do, even running a spread offense.

Last edited:
I think that's why it's been so important to get all the extra reps for the backups. I think we'll be surprised with our defensive depth this year.

I hope so. Most of it is so young, that concerns me. Also means if things improve this fall we’ll have a few years worth of productive play from this crop of kids.

Just a quick thought on how being physical is more challenging in this offense. I guess I’m looking at what creates opportunities for delivering that ‘toughness’ beyond just Mano e Mano, toe to toe slugfests. The ability to put defenders in space is step one to creating a mismatch. Step two is putting a blocker on them who can keep them out of the play. Now if that’s a RB on a linebacker, we don’t think of that as punishing. But if we take an agile, athletic lineman, and put him in the chest of a safety or linebacker, that can wear a defense down. The same is true of forcing 300 lb D lineman to move and pursue, then attack them from odd angles with long, strong, athletic 300 pounders. Not only is that a challenge to a defenders cardio, but it’s harder on a body to take shots when you aren’t in a strong position to absorb or deflect some of the impact.

Obviously, this isn’t the typical ‘physical style’ most of us think of, like the hammering Wiscy running game, but it can be very taxing.

The final piece is teaching to block physically, and players taking pride in that. When the play creates the opportunity for an advantageous angle, we need to deliver the punishment. Yes, there are times we have guys just screening people off, but when there is an opportunity to bring the lumber, we need to deliver it.

We wear guys out by running a bunch of plays offensively. As others have mentioned, you can do it defensively, but our defense actually was on the field more than our offense last year and gets tired too.
agree. the way we can get the defense off the field more often in this system is predicated a lot on turnovers. i look for this years team to emphasize this again and hopefully it comes to fruition more often.

The ability to put defenders in space is step one to creating a mismatch. Step two is putting a blocker on them who can keep them out of the play. Now if that’s a RB on a linebacker, we don’t think of that as punishing. But if we take an agile, athletic lineman, and put him in the chest of a safety or linebacker, that can wear a defense down. The same is true of forcing 300 lb D lineman to move and pursue, then attack them from odd angles with long, strong, athletic 300 pounders. Not only is that a challenge to a defenders cardio, but it’s harder on a body to take shots when you aren’t in a strong position to absorb or deflect some of the impact.

I once showed up with only 2 players on my bench for the first game of the year in nearly 100 degree heat. The opposing coach's team wasn't very good, but he was smart, and they were fundamentally sound. My memory fails me, but I want to say that he called approximately 4,538 Sweeps and then about 50 Fullback Traps as a counter-play. I probably would have needed to hospitalize some of my big d-linemen, but thankfully the Mercy Rule kicked in and we were done at halftime.

Frost's Buck Sweep is a nasty piece of offensive blocking awesomeness. If you get big O-linemen who can move out on the perimeter, there are going to be undersized OLBs and SSs whose job it is to plug up that gap, no matter what, and that usually means getting steamrolled by an O-lineman who is about 6-8" taller, and 60-100 pounds heavier.

View attachment 24736

I once showed up with only 2 players on my bench for the first game of the year in nearly 100 degree heat. The opposing coach's team wasn't very good, but he was smart, and they were fundamentally sound. My memory fails me, but I want to say that he called approximately 4,538 Sweeps and then about 50 Fullback Traps as a counter-play. I probably would have needed to hospitalize some of my big d-linemen, but thankfully the Mercy Rule kicked in and we were done at halftime.

Frost's Buck Sweep is a nasty piece of offensive blocking awesomeness. If you get big O-linemen who can move out on the perimeter, there are going to be undersized OLBs and SSs whose job it is to plug up that gap, no matter what, and that usually means getting steamrolled by an O-lineman who is about 6-8" taller, and 60-100 pounds heavier.
I always think of Zach Wiegert turning the corner and looking for his next victim. He ran better than any lineman I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
I always think of Zach Wiegert turning the corner and looking for his next victim. He ran better than any lineman I’ve ever seen.
Funny you should mention him as I was just in the Post Spring Practice thread where @All 'N' 011808 posted a tweet for the Pipeline Camp featuring ... Zach Wiegert. If you watch the video it includes clips of him getting out in space and serving up some pancakes. Good stuff! Here's the link to the tweet:

The numbers show that, so far, Frost's teams typically lose the relatively meaningless time-of-possession (TOP) stat, and narrowly lose the number of plays-per-game stat. Until we start running more plays-per-game than the opponents, our defense will not be a dominant force. The number of plays is determined by both stellar defensive AND offensive play.

IMO, the speed of the plays/drives is irrelevant (to defensive fatigue), instead, defenses are worn down based on the sheer volume of plays. If we can get the talent on defense to make big plays and stop drives early while developing an offense that can score frequently, we will start running more plays per game than our opponents and start seeing our defense stay fresh while the opponents defense will wilt. That is what Frost must focus on, if he wants us to dominate on both sides of the ball...it is possible to do, even running a spread offense.
A lot of truth in this statement. The key i think you are trying to get to is that if you run a fast offense then you better not go 3 and out very often, Even if you do not score on every possession you need to get a few first downs.

Funny you should mention him as I was just in the Post Spring Practice thread where @All 'N' 011808 posted a tweet for the Pipeline Camp featuring ... Zach Wiegert. If you watch the video it includes clips of him getting out in space and serving up some pancakes. Good stuff! Here's the link to the tweet:

Nice! Excited about the possibilities of this camp over time. One thing I liked about Wiegert (which the video highlights) was he accelerated into the open space block and just didn't shield the defender. Most O-linemen are working so hard to get downfield they just kind of wall off the defender then if engaged momentum and mass push the defender out of the way. Wiegert got out in space quick then had a some torque in his surge to attack blocks.

SF has mentioned numerous times that since Oregon he has wanted to combine that speed of the Duck offense with the power of the old Nebraska teams. Sure there will be challenges, but having speed outside and power on the line is something that would seem to be achievable. And he has been thinking of ways to combine them for many years.
I agree,and truly believe that if it happens,SF will be the guy to make it happen.GBR.

I agree that we don't want him taking excessive hits. My point is its alright to have the nasty attitude and ABILITY to dish out a little nastiness when its needed.

But if you go into the contact the right way, you can blast them on their a$$. See also, Scott Frost ‘97.

I can't wait to see how our team has progressed in the weight room this year. I'm betting we match up physical;ly with any team in the league. But just as importantly, we need to start year 2 with W's so that we gain the confidence to be a mentally tough team as well. Last year, we just weren't mentally tough enough to start the year and, obviously, it cost us a few W's.

I can't wait to see how our team has progressed in the weight room this year. I'm betting we match up physical;ly with any team in the league. But just as importantly, we need to start year 2 with W's so that we gain the confidence to be a mentally tough team as well. Last year, we just weren't mentally tough enough to start the year and, obviously, it cost us a few W's.
I am a big believer in the mental part of the game. You can not win until you believe you can win.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back