• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Top targets in the transfer portal?

Alaskajohn

Husker lost in the Alaska wilderness
2 Year Member
Now that the coaching staff positions are being filled, no doubt job one for the coaches will be hitting evaluating the team's needs, and hitting the recruiting trail and the transfer portal to fill those needs.

Both the offensive and defensive lines are huge needs, as are skilled positions.

I haven't closely followed the talent in the portal, but looking I see what appears to be quality players on both sides of the line, as well as QB. What players in the portal are worthy of a good look?

With basically a totally new staff, I wonder if Trev will offer any insight as to how he sees the current roster. Or are there any current analysts retained that may be of help.

Definitely have needs at OT, DT, and WR. Probably need time for the new staff to evaluate the current roster. Will they try a hard reset or just augment the talent here? Many seniors have an extra year so we'll probably get a sense based on the number of portal entries over the next few months.

Definitely have needs at OT, DT, and WR. Probably need time for the new staff to evaluate the current roster. Will they try a hard reset or just augment the talent here? Many seniors have an extra year so we'll probably get a sense based on the number of portal entries over the next few months.

Agreed. And while I think CT is an excellent QB, it would be good to grab another talented QB with at least 2 years of eligibility left to play.

Agreed. And while I think CT is an excellent QB, it would be good to grab another talented QB with at least 2 years of eligibility left to play.
You're right, QB seems likely as well with the system change. OC Satterfield's offense was pretty pass heavy at South Carolina this year, as it seemed crafted for Spencer Rattler. Bottom 1/4 in rushing yards per game. Per Rhule's "rules", I expect next year's scheme to be more run oriented.

Looking at the OT and IOL, there doesn't appear to be a lot of depth of talent in the portal. This could change in the coming weeks. Reading the profiles on some of the DL in the portal, there looks to be some serviceable options of candidates with the frames to compete for playing time. But I am seeing nothing that jumps out as must gets in these areas of great need.

The portal giveth, and the portal taketh away. Given everything that has happened in the past week, this is expected. The new staff has their handfull, and all of the position coaches need to be put in place. For the kids stability, you can underestimate the impact change and uncertainty have on a person.

And these are from the tree positions where there is no news on a possible position coach.

Last edited:

Looking at the OT and IOL, there doesn't appear to be a lot of depth of talent in the portal. This could change in the coming weeks. Reading the profiles on some of the DL in the portal, there looks to be some serviceable options of candidates with the frames to compete for playing time. But I am seeing nothing that jumps out as must gets in these areas of great need.
Ajani Cornelius RT from Rhode Island was offered.

Would like to see us get Jake Renfro center from Cincy. He sat out this year with a knee injury. Was all AAC last year. Maybe he follows Fickell.

Maybe Keagan Johnson comes home from Iowa.

Alabama’s 2nd leading receiver is in the portal Traeshon Holden.

Stanford’s sack leader is in the portal, also a guard who has started 16 games the last two years.

There are guys who can help. There will be more.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back